Ranger II / Eagle $3000

BSS

Contributors
Okay, so I bought a Six Pac for my Tundra and it looks like it's going to work out nicely for me. This camper is in good overall condition with no issues and no drama. The roof doesn't leak and everything works properly. I have done a lot of work to get this thing as dialed in as I can make it (for my needs) and have wandered over the western U.S. with it. 100% roadworthy and solid. Price is $3K. I installed a brand new Dometic RM2193 fridge about a year ago, built new cabinet and fridge fronts from hardwood (matches factory interior perfectly, you probably wouldn't know it was non-factory unless I told you). I've stripped and rebuilt the furnace (Atwood) and stove (Wedgwood 2 burner), installed a new manchester tank with built in level gauge, new bed cushions and covers from FWC, installed Shurflo electric water pump and faucet, 45A Intellipower charge wizard power converter, new battery and box, installed a nice roof rack with 1/8" wall (probably overkill, but who cares) aluminum tube stock. I also added a storage box that goes over the lower bunk/couch. You know - the long skinny one with 2 sliding doors. It's the current (light oak) FWC interior color vs the rest of the interior (darker) but no biggie.

The pop-up section is original and does not leak, but the windows have suffered from the dreaded "shrinkage" that eventually seems to plague all of these units. It's probably the only thing I would replace if I were keeping it, but not an urgent need. More of a perfectionist type thing than anything else. The windows still all velcro up no problem, you just have to tug and stretch them a little to get them properly into place when it's cold out. I also have a home-made arctic pack for the camper which keeps the temp way up on cold nights. It's 2 layer reflectix and fits perfectly. I've camped many nights in the teens and single digits with this kit, no problem.

I do not have turnbuckles to mount it, but the eye bolts are still there. The camper is currently bolted thru the bed of the truck. The mounts are very secure and in my opinion superior to turnbuckle mounts if you don't need to take the camper on and off all the time. If you aren't scared to drill a few holes in your bed, we can install this thing in about 20 minutes in my driveway. Or you always have the turnbuckle option - just bring your own hardware. "Widowmaker" cable jacks are included with this camper. They do the job, but definitely use at your own risk. Probably another good reason I haven't taken this baby on and off very much. Those jacks absolutely make me cringe.

Obviously, this thing is fifteen years old and has a few imperfections:

at some point before I owned this camper, there was a poorly done repair job on the roof. Best I can tell, a tree branch probably fell on or somehow poked a hole in there and tore the metal. About a 12x18" section was patched and was a pretty crappy job. I took everything apart, ground down to bare metal, re-riveted and sealed it up tight. I also re-sealed the roof band and replaced and re-sealed most of the roof band screws at this time as well. If you happen to be relaxing on the roof of your house looking down admiring your camper you'll see where it was repaired. Other than this, it's a non-issue. Bone dry, no leaks.

The front slider has a broken pane which has been replaced with a piece of lexan. Fits and works perfect, but it's not glass. I'd probably take it apart and replace it if I had the camper off the truck but it has never been a problem so I don't worry about it. Again, no leaks. Slept in many a rainstorm and taken this thing thru many high pressure car washes without issue. You can't even tell it's plastic unless you get right up on it. Also, there is a tear in the headliner about 3" long.

I replaced the roof vent about 2 or 3 years ago, but these things get fried pretty quickly in the desert. No leaks, but it's just beginning to develop some spider-cracks. A $15 fix when it comes time.

I'm traveling right now so I don't have any photos, but just send me a PM if you're interested and we'll go from there. I'll be back next Sunday the 18th to show/sell it. I've probably made these issues sound a lot worse than they really are, but I'm kind of meticulous about this stuff. Like I said, this camper is 100% ready to use as-is. All mods and repairs performed properly and with care.

Here's the only pic I have right now:
attachment.php

The Yakima rocket box is not included in the price, but the buyer can have for $250. Truck is not for sale.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 133
Forgot to mention the Dometic awning, and the bed is the extended pull-out (queen size).

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

025.JPG

All emails have been replied to, thanks for all the interest.

Perhaps this is a stupid question...would this work on a current generation double cab Tundra?

I sure think it would. It is made for a smaller truck, so you might need to have it sitting on a platform to raise it enough to clear the bed rails and cab. Going smaller can be worked with, but going bigger does not fit.

It could fit with some modifications, but it would look weird.

You would need some wide jack extension plates, and maybe a 5" pallet or wood base under the camper.

I DON'T think you could get that camper on your truck just using an old set of portable cable jacks.

The truck will probably be TOO wide.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Eagle on full sized dodge ram 2500.JPG
    Eagle on full sized dodge ram 2500.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Eagle on full sized truck #3.JPG
    Eagle on full sized truck #3.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 171
You know Moody, there are so many used Hawks for sale, and with your growing family you should go as big as possible with your new camper.

Sorry BSS, not trying to ruin your sale.

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback. Ideally I will find a Hawk or ATC used. I am okay with buying a new one, I just find I am overly anal about things when I buy new.

just so I am clear - this will not fit a 2011 taco access cab??

is that the combination you have pictured stan?

this is an Ranger model for sale correct?

Stan:

as per: http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/camper_fit.htm

2011 tacoma - eagle or finch

hilux w/ long bed - ranger

correct?

will a hawk fit a 2011 with a little over hang?

sorry for the slight thread hijack - but this is in my price range and if it fits my truck I am interested.......

Hey Capt.

That guy is selling his Ranger II (now called the Eagle Model).

It should fit on your 2011 Toyota Tacoma Access cab with a few slight modifications.

1. Add a little to the camper base. The truck bed on the new Tacoma trucks is just a little deeper that the older Toyota trucks. Some 2x4's, a thick rubber bed mat, some small wooden runners under the camper. Something to add just a little extra height to the camper base so that the camper is not smashing down on the bed rails of your truck.

2. Maybe change out the water tank drain (located under the edge of the camper, middle, driver's side) so it is not smashing down on the bed rail of your truck. Simple. Will only cost a few bucks.

3. Maybe move the eye nuts in the camper base to the proper locations. We here at FWC have special custom made Tacoma cross bars for the camper tie downs and it is better if the eye nuts in the camper base line up properly. Not maditory, but long term moving the eye nuts would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Seems like a very good price.

It is hard to find the used Eagle Model in the price range.

I'm sure it won't last long.

If he put it on Craigslist, it will probably sell the same day (depending on where he lives)

just so I am clear - this will not fit a 2011 taco access cab??

is that the combination you have pictured stan?

this is an Ranger model for sale correct?

Stan:

as per: http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/camper_fit.htm

2011 tacoma - eagle or finch

hilux w/ long bed - ranger

correct?

will a hawk fit a 2011 with a little over hang?

sorry for the slight thread hijack - but this is in my price range and if it fits my truck I am interested.......

Hey Capt.

That guy is selling his Ranger II (now called the Eagle Model).

It should fit on your 2011 Toyota Tacoma Access cab with a few slight modifications.

1. Add a little to the camper base. The truck bed on the new Tacoma trucks is just a little deeper that the older Toyota trucks. Some 2x4's, a thick rubber bed mat, some small wooden runners under the camper. Something to add just a little extra height to the camper base so that the camper is not smashing down on the bed rails of your truck.

2. Maybe change out the water tank drain (located under the edge of the camper, middle, driver's side) so it is not smashing down on the bed rail of your truck. Simple. Will only cost a few bucks.

3. Maybe move the eye nuts in the camper base to the proper locations. We here at FWC have special custom made Tacoma cross bars for the camper tie downs and it is better if the eye nuts in the camper base line up properly. Not maditory, but long term moving the eye nuts would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Seems like a very good price.

It is hard to find the used Eagle Model in the price range.

I'm sure it won't last long.

If he put it on Craigslist, it will probably sell the same day (depending on where he lives)

thanks for the info stan. i appreciate you answering my questions - I am sure you are a busy guy.

yeah this one was a nice unit for a good price. I didn't have my money in hand - so it was going to get sold to someone other then me.

Back
Top Bottom