Ranger on a Short Bed Tacoma V6

Cort

Captain Moderation
Hello all,

I am looking at a used Ranger and want to put it on my 01 V6 Tacoma. I am 99% sure that the unit will fit just fine if I leave the tailgate on. I am aware that I will have to re-mount my spare tire or make a modified crank unit if I want to be able to get to it while the camper is on. I am planning on Bagging my Tacoma and would like to hear from anyone out there who has had a long bed camper on a short bed truck. Pro's and Con's? Any Sage Advice?

This particular camper has the optional dinette set; instead of a bench that folds out to a bed it has two seats that face each other with a table in between. This unit converts to a bed as well. Does anyone have experience with using this setup as a bed. According to the owners dimensions it appears very narrow (19"X69"). I need to check the dimension with the seller again as this seems to narrow to work as a bed. We need the extra bed for a 7-year old.

If I can get the camper at the right price and the current dinette doesn't work for us I am also thinking about having FWC convert the dinette back to the traditional couch/fold out bed. What do you all think about this? Does anyone have any experience with having FWC do conversions like this? Do you think they would do it?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Cort

Hey Cort

It was nice talking talking with you on the phone today.

Here are some pictures of the Ranger Model on the extra cab.

Just let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Happy Camping !

Attachments

• P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 422
  • P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 498
  • P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 413
  • Ranger on short bed tacoma.bmp
    342.7 KB · Views: 350
This particular camper has the optional dinette set; instead of a bench that folds out to a bed it has two seats that face each other with a table in between. This unit converts to a bed as well. Does anyone have experience with using this setup as a bed. According to the owners dimensions it appears very narrow (19"X69"). I need to check the dimension with the seller again as this seems to narrow to work as a bed. We need the extra bed for a 7-year old.

I'd bet the dimensions are correct. On a fold down couch cushion is ~19" wide. Many dinette mods just remove the couch backrest from the equation so when the seats fold down you have the equivalent of 1/2 the original couch/bed.

I started with a fold-over couch, and had a dinette conversion done. I sleep on the dinette couch on occasion, like when there's snow on the camper roof and I'm too lazy to clear it off to raise the top. Yes, it is narrow, but on my Eagle, I get a few extra inches of width because the cushions are at the same level as the camper overhang (where the body widens out at the truck rails). For reference, it's a similar width to a camping cot. I haven't fallen off yet :D

I found that I rarely folded the old couch over to a bed, because it took away all my floor space and made moving around the camper difficult. , I think you may have a similar problem with a Ranger.

Things I like about the dinette: 1) you sit facing each other instead of side-by-side (better for playing cards, etc.). 2) You can see out the side window instead of having your back to it. 3) It's easier to maneuver around each other since your feet are in the added floor space under the table.

Anyway, a few more things to consider.

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I will have to level the step near the window to get the few extra inches. I think my 7-year old should be fine on it.

Stan if you see this can you tell me the width of the step near the window?

Does anyone out there actually have a Ranger mounted on a Tacoma? How much did it affect how the Tacoma drives? Do you think it puts to much weight on the rear axle or behind it?

Cort

hi cort.i have a new bobcat that i had the dinette installed .it just makes a nicer arrangement inside,doesn't cramp an already cramped area so that you can move around with the table in use.as for the bed, the cushion seem wide enough to sleep on especially for a youngster.the camper overhang in my camper is the same level as the cushions length seems to be the same as a camper with the fold down bed.my .$02s worth the dinette is a much better arrangement,but thats just personal preference.go for the dinette you won't be sorry.good luck. frank

Thanks for the info guys. Still looking for someone that has a Ranger mounted on a Tacoma...I have been getting mixed reviews on how much it will affect the driveability of the truck and where the center of gravity will be.

Cort

hi cort.i have a new bobcat that i had the dinette installed .it just makes a nicer arrangement inside,doesn't cramp an already cramped area so that you can move around with the table in use.as for the bed, the cushion seem wide enough to sleep on especially for a youngster.the camper overhang in my camper is the same level as the cushions length seems to be the same as a camper with the fold down bed.my .$02s worth the dinette is a much better arrangement,but thats just personal preference.go for the dinette you won't be sorry.good luck. frank

Frank is right on the money. My girlfriend and I like the dinette arrangement much better than the couch.

I have a ranger II on a 98 tacoma x-cab. I added air bags to lift the back end and have no handling problems. Spare tire snafu and clearance from back of camper to ground can be an issue when in very rough terrain. Camper can hit the ground on transition to steep hills. Can impede abillity to back out of some situations. I do alot of offroad and have only had one issue with clearance, near Barker Ranch, Death Valley. Found out about spare tire the hard way!:(

I have a Ranger II on a singlecab. I have firestone airbags and bilstein 5100 shocks. I know the Tacomas well, I have owned 3 1st gen Tacomas and have been driving them and wrenching on them since they came out in 95.

The leaf springs have always been a weak point for the tacomas. Considering the extra weight of a Ranger vs. Ranger II, I'd say you're pretty well gonna max those suckers out. Adding airbags is only going to make the problem worse with that much leverage hanging over the back. Imagine driving a 4,000 lb. pogo stick. And with airbags, you can't add a swaybar because they both mount in the same spot.

To do this right, you need to buy brand new factory leaves and add supersprings, or ideally have Deaver build you a custom spring pack to meet your demands. Also you'll need 16 or 17" wheels with load range E tires and heavy duty shocks or your ride is going to be downright scary. Trust me. Especially when you have to swerve for a deer and your camper and truck roll over and open up like a tuna fish can on the side of the road.

The clutch is also a weakness of the tacoma. You don't mention if yours is a manual or auto, but if it's a manual, make sure it's a good quality disc & plate and it's bled right with good fluid. Don't slip it with a camper on the back or you'll wear it out in no time flat.

Thanks for the replies guys. My Tacoma is a TRD and is a manual. I have never driven anything but manual and can't tell you how many miles I have driven towing trailers and heavy loads, so I am not expecting the clutch to give me much trouble.....its either in or out never in between. I brought my truck to a guy I trust and he thought that I should give it an initial try with 16" load range E tires and the Ride-Rite Airbags. He thought the springs looked fine but if I wanted more I could do an add-a-leaf. He said my shocks were okay but thought I might need to go a little stiffer. I think I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Now to my next question. Does anyone know where the eyebolts go for this combination. I have not heard back from FWC and want to getting working on this.

Thanks,

Cort

I was looking into getting a double cab toyota and was concerned about the handling also with a Ranger II in the back. Does anyone have this set up, and how does it handle? Thanks-

I was looking into getting a double cab toyota and was concerned about the handling also with a Ranger II in the back. Does anyone have this set up, and how does it handle? Thanks-

Looks like it works for a 5 foot bed.

We have a 1990 RangerII on a 2009 4-door short-bed Tacoma. The picture is from a trip to death valley last fall (still haven't gotten around to a trip report...forthcoming?) at the entrance to Titus Canyon. As for handling, we installed air bags and so far the truck handles fine...although I haven't had to swerve very far/fast. Averaged 16 mpg going 70 mph...don't know the unloaded mpg...I'm guessing somewhere around 18-20. We don't do a whole lot of rough off roading...mostly forest service roads.

Attachments

• death valley 058.jpg
    death valley 058.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 203
Pre 05' tacoma. I have a 97' Ranger II which is just a short Ranger, they call them Eagle models now.

Hey Cort,
I think I lost my 1st response to you as I'm new at this. Anyhow, posted some pix on gallery (Fleet). That is the model we have on our '02/xcab/5spd/V-6 Taco and I think it's the basic footprint you are dealing with, just that it's a late 80's camper. It comes back to the end of dropped tailgate when loaded on the truck, about 8' camper box length. I'm no expert, but ours is set up with Old Man Emu (med. ) springs all around and airbags. This seemed to minimize any over squatting when encountering sudden bad sections on roads. I think it rides well with the front beefed too-much better than stock Taco mush-hell it's gonna feel like a load of gravel no matter what. I don't feel that it is sketchy maneuvering, but again this is a load for the Taco with all extra gear for a month on the Baja, etc.

I can tell you we've done maybe 30k+ in this setup just with Mexico trips, plus easily 20k more in the States and it has worked great. Lots of backroad stuff, lots of gear. Oh yeah, there is one pic of previous set up -a modified 6' Hawk. The 8' never has felt arse-heavy to me-tires don't wear funny, and we hang a 2nd spare for long outback trips so even more leverage that has not caused any issues. (16''BFG-e load). Well that's probably 3 cents worth. Bueno, Pete

Back
Top Bottom