Re certifying propane tank (2004 hawk)

cannuk

Advanced Member
Hey all,

Last time I filled my tank the guy at the uhaul warned me it would be the last time without getting it re certified. Living in the Bay Area I can't seem to find a place to do it. Also, since it's the horizontal tank setup I wonder if it is harder to recertify. Anybody around this area go through the process?

Not sure about California but I just did mine in ma they just check for leaks and last 5 years

I've heard that when the time comes some people just use one of the propane exchanges to get a new one for about $20 filled....

I had one done this spring, cost $10 or something like that. Tank needed to be empty or they were going to have to empty it. I had my tank refilled a couple times while on a trip before getting the re-cert done and gas stations never questioned it or looked for a sticker but when I got home it was time for a visit to the local Ferrelgas which is close to work, left it overnight.

I think propane distribution companies, can help to get tanks certified. I believe they are tested hydrostaticly and that's why they need to be emptied. Sometimes it's cheaper to replace vs recertification.
Russ

rtpvibes said:
Not sure about California but I just did mine in ma they just check for leaks and last 5 years
cost me 10 instead of200 plus and I had one done 1 year ago

The tank in my 2005 Hawk 'expires' this August, so I'll need to figure this out myself very soon.
In Oregon.

If you buy a new tank make sure it is brand new stock. There is a month and year stamp on the handle. I had the tank replaced on my first Hawk and later found out that the tank was 2 years old. It was a brand new tank as far as I could tell, but my propane company goes by the date stamp to determine if it can be re-filled or not.

This recent Propane tank certification thread may be helpful. It starts out talking about the change in number of years until certification is required but then turns to re-certification. The inspection is usually a visual one followed up by checking for leaks at tank fittings with a soapy solution. Emptying the tank is not normally required. Cost is typically $20 or less.

Back
Top Bottom