Real numbers for Engle and solar

randygirl

So I got everything mounted and wired and finally was able to put the camper on the truck today.

At 12:45 pm I turned the Engle fridge to setting 4.(out of 5) The camper was in direct sun in my drive way. 70* most of the day. The solar was in full sun.

I reset the remote meter so I would know exactly how much current (amps) the fridge uses in 24 hours. (BTW, that is the most awesome meter!! So many settings to play with!!) Anyways,

It is now 7:21pm and we are at 8.0 amps used to keep the fridge at 4. I have opened the fridge a few times, so it is like real use, (being opened periodically).

Will let you know tomorrow how many amps it used in the 24 hour period.

Randy

randygirl...how many amp hours of battery storage do you have?

I have one battery that is 105 amp hours....and I'm in the process of adding another one for a total of 210 amp hours. I have the same 120 watt panel as you have.

I am interested to see if your solar system can keep up with the Engel fridges needs.

Thanks for doing this research, randygirl -- quantitative data is a good thing!

I have an Optima Blue top that came with the camper in 2002. It is only a 55amp hour battery.

I know I will need to upgrade in the future, but right now, I think it will work.

All day, the solar ran the fridge. The battery stayed fully charged. The big question will be what will happen overnite!!

I have to work tomorrow and will have someone check it for me at 1pm . Will post the results when I get home...

Randy

randygirl, I know you've posted your solar panel, controller, etc in other threads, but can you put them here so it's all in one place?

Ok, here we go...

At the 24 hour mark the Engel had used 19.80 amp hours. By 9am the battery was fully charged already.

I have a 120 watt panel, sunsaver MPPT charge controller, and the sunsaver remote meter.

The fridge was not cold ahead of time and there was nothing it...

Tonite I will put the fridge on 2-3 and run the fantastic fan overnite. We'll see how that does....

At 7am the fridge had used 15.9 AH.

The temp was about 70* all afternoon and 50* for a low last nite.

Hope this helps

Randy

One thing I don't have is a temperature sensor for in the fridge. Is there one you guys like?? or will any ol one do??

One thing I don't have is a temperature sensor for in the fridge. Is there one you guys like?? or will any ol one do??

Here is what I use. It has both outside and inside temp scales. Pretty cheap. Works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42113-Alarm-Dual-Temperature-Thermometer/dp/B0006IX7UG

I just run the wire in the top and stick the display unit in the transit bag pouch. I find with a settting of 1 1/2 I get a temp of about 34 degrees even with 100 plus cab temps. I have the transit bag which may help somewhat with cooling.

The temp sensor takes aaa batteries and I find a set lasts about 6 months.

I really like the Engel and would never go back to a 3 way. One downside is you still need a small cooler for cocktail ice if you don't want to freeze all your food. I usually start out with ice in a small cooler and make more in the fridge if I run out.

Dsrtrat

I have the front open SR-70. It fit in the ice box hole without much modification.

With 2 large dogs (and hopefuly another human if things work out), the MT45 was not gonna work.

DSRTRAT: Do you think that would work for the front open model??

DSRTRAT: Do you think that would work for the front open model??

It should.
I used it in my 3 way before I switched to the Engel and it worked fine. The sensor wire is very small and air leakage is minimal.

Dsrtrat

Hey Randygirl I have a MT 35 with a two zone in my grandby. The reason I purchased the the 35 and not the 45 is I can open the 35 with the added height of the two zone without lifting the roof.I have had 3 way fridges before and I think they stink. P9290001.JPG

I have the front open SR-70.

randygirl, how do you like the Engel so far? Is it very noisy? I'm a light sleeper so I can't have any noisy appliances running all night.

leadsled,

Love the Engel so far. It is a bit noisier than I was expecting, but it does not bother me. It ran only about 2 hours total overnite last nite. I went to my firend's property and spent the nite. Battery held up fine. It was overcas all day and it still got plenty of charge from the solar. 17 volts to be exact. I was surprised cause there was NO sun!!

It was overcas all day and it still got plenty of charge from the solar. 17 volts to be exact. I was surprised cause there was NO sun!!

randygirl,

You and I have the exact same solar set-up and I too have been very pleased with the performance of the system. I think the remote mount meter is one of the best parts of the system with all of the information it displays. It really displays a huge amount of information about the solar systems performance.

As for the inside temperature of my refrigerator, I use one of these cheap units:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Thermometer-And-Remote-Sensor/dp/B000GGFYHW

So far it has worked flawlessly.

Randygirl,
When you installed, did you leave two inches air space around the sides and in back? Spoke with Engel and that's what they recommend, although I thought I read somewhere that someone insulated the sides, which might make it more quiet.

Randygirl,
When you installed, did you leave two inches air space around the sides and in back? Spoke with Engel and that's what they recommend, although I thought I read somewhere that someone insulated the sides, which might make it more quiet.

Rob,

I have the 2 inches everywhere but in the back. I did not insulate the opening... I did cut a vent out in the space between the couter (where the sink is) and the top of the fridge compartment. Seems to work fine...

Back
Top Bottom