Really wanted to do this as a poll

craig333

Riley's Human
Since we can't do polls. And thats not really what I wanted to know. I think, lemme see, :Has anyone regretted the decision to give up tent camping and go with a camper? I"ll admit that I haven't. I'll still break out my tent when I have to, I.E. wilderness backpacking, but for stationary camping, I dont' miss my old canvas tent.

Tent vs camper...

Craig,
Like you, I haven't really given up the tent. We have a couple of tents that we use on motorcycle trips. One smaller 2 person for when one of us is alone on a trip, and one larger dome tent for when we go together. We have 2 Hennessey hammocks that we always take on every trip regardless of how we go and sleep out in them in good weather.
Then we have the camper for camper type trips. To be honest, I prefer motorcycle travel by far, so use the tents a lot. The camper is just one more way to go and is an addition to our toybox. We did our trip to central America in the camper because it offers an element of safety and is easier to use in places like gas stations, parking lots, etc. plus it rained a lot and it was nice not to have to be confined in and then put away a wet tent.
To be honest, I am toying with the idea of going even simpler, getting a very fuel efficient smaller car that the front seat will drop back flat and doing some of my traveling in that. If I am on a trip alone why do I need the camper? Why not a small car (maybe a convertible) that gets 40 miles to the gallon (better than my sidecar rig!) and be able to stop anywhere at all and pass the dark spell. As I get older I want to do some trips that will pretty much cover the states seeing relatives and friends, etc. Being on a fixed income, cheep is the way to go for me. Anyway, fun stuff. Happy Trails,
Brian in NM

Craig,
No regrets at all, we sure don't miss waking up in the morning to a cold tent and for that matter sleeping in sleeping bags. Since we added the heater we've been able to sleep very comfortably in sheets with a couple to fleece blankets. We've still got 2 tents, backpacks, and all related camping gear but haven't used it in a while. We love the comfort of the camper and are likely to enjoy it for a long time.

Don't miss the tent a bit, enjoy the camper, no more having to load everything into truck, just to have it get rained on, or be covered in dust and dirt when getting there, Camper is stocked and ready to roll pretty fast, and its dry and warm, and roomier than our tent:)

Kept the tents

I don't miss the tents at all, but I held on to both my 2 man and 3 man geodesic dome, pack packing tents. I suppose if I could sell the 3 man for a reasonable price I might consider it, but I won't get rid of the 2 man tent - I've used it often enough pack-backing to know it's value.

I've been camping with a tent for 40 years since I was a kid. I will keep my tent for some trips that call for it. I have no regrets my set up and take down will go from 3 + hours to 30 mins.......more fishing time...............

Oh yeah!

Ed, did you get a new Duramax? How do you like it, I think I may be in the market for one.

Yes I did, and it's a great truck other than needing bigger tires. I took a short trip, with a little off roading and had to crawl over things that a stock Dodge or Toyota (the trucks I'm familiar with) would cruise past without a second thought - it's easily fixed, all it takes is money (surprisingly very little to a whole lot). The DMax doesn't even know the FWC is back there.

There's lots of good info on the net, it just takes a while to digest it all (I'm half way through breakfast). Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll give you the web sites and info that I've learned so far, or we can start a new thread in the trucks, accessories & mods forum.

I think like most people on this board I started out in a tent. What moved me toward a camper is a story I laugh at now. I was camping in Yosemite and it was raining all day. I ended up cooking dinner in the trunk of the car. I thought there has to be a better way. The next year I bought a Ford van with wood paneling and shag carpeting. No more fooling around! (8 track optional )

I still enjoy tent camping, less is more.

Cheers,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom