Rear brake light

travelingdan

Advanced Member
Since the camper blocks a truck's upper rear brake light, has anyone installed a brake light, say up above the camper door, to act as a third brake light?

It's a no brainier.

My Camper shell has the third brake light. Just because the DOT may not require it, doesn't mean it's not a smart thing to have.

Hopefully someone with more info. can comment?

Two Ideas. The first is on a brand new Lynx. The second is $25 from Amazon. You can probably get it for less at Harbor Freight.

IMG_2515.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-CR-007XL-X-Large-Hitch-Brake/dp/B0073RYG1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402680696&sr=8-2&keywords=trailer+hitch+brake+light

I think the high mount marker light on the newer campers ( red Bar over door ) should be wired as the third brake light.

:)

That hitch mounted brake light is clever, but I'd think a more conventional mounted third brake light higher up on the back would provide better visibility to other drivers. (Also my rear steps stay in my rear receiver.)

Though mounting a light higher up does present the issue of running the wires.( My Fleet is too small to have marker lights.)

Gonna revive this thread, instead of starting a new one.

Seeking a simple, effective LED third mount brake light for the back of my '17 Hawk. There is an existing 6-LED (3 banks of 2 LED's) center 'marker' light, part of the running light system, mounted at the rear center in the exact spot I would like to mount a third brake light. The current light is 16" long with 2 screw mounting (8.5" CTC) and unknown wiring. I'd like to replace it with similar-sized light that will mount to or cover up any previous mounting holes and function effectively as a third high-mount brake light.

Seeking advice or experienced knowledge of this seemingly minor upgrade; ideally a light that fit into existing wiring/mounting holes is most desirable, but ultimately I want the safety of the rear brake light so a suitable system will be fitted.

I've located a red LED light that seems very much like the side LED lights on my Hawk, still trying to identify the exact mounting hole spacing and suitability for my project: https://www.amazon.com/Kaper-II-L15-0027R-Third-Brake/dp/B0113Y0VGE/ref=pd_sbs_263_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0113Y0VGE&pd_rd_r=bb5332bf-8b16-4ee1-99d3-6c5f11bbda73&pd_rd_w=iMH78&pd_rd_wg=MF1Pv&pf_rd_p=1c11b7ff-9ffb-4ba6-8036-be1b0afa79bb&pf_rd_r=ZY9JKTDBNBXGSHQP490E&psc=1&refRID=ZY9JKTDBNBXGSHQP490E#customerReviews

I'd like to hear from others who have attempted this or those with ideas or links to more suitable products.

Thanks in advance!!

That's the kind of info I'm looking for!

I guess I'll try to snake the wire from the back of the light inside the camper down to the battery compartment, and then create a connector there (female, inside the compartment); then the other end (male) will exit the battery compartment and get into the wiring system somewhere. The connector will come in handy when dismounting the camper.

One thought I had: if I 'tapped' the brake light wire after the 'split' to both taillights would that affect one light (robbing voltage) resulting in a 'dimmer' light? Should I place the 'tap' before the split? Will any 'tap' result in dimmer brake bulbs?

TIA to any info presented here!

I bought a 48 inch tailgate light strip to put the bottom edge of the truck bed; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TG9SYDR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It uses a standard 4 pin flat connector that plugs into the plug for your trailer lights. I also bought a 4 pin y or splitter connector so can still have a plug for the trailer: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4+pin+trailer+splitter&crid=3GITKC0VYAFYE&sprefix=4+pin+tr%2Caps%2C216&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_10_8

It's plug and play.

I suppose one could mount the light strip above the door running a wire up the outside and then remember to unplug it before popping the top or just use a longer wire.

I thought about a mounting position on the 'raised' portion of the roof and ruled it out; the current 3-light middle running light is in the only place that I'd install a high-mount brake light. Personally, I think FWC should at least offer such a system as an option.

Getting thru the truck bed to the taillight wiring seems to be the biggest issue; I doubt that the taillight assembly itself could be 'tapped'; such a tap would likely compromise the integrity of the housing. It's gotta connect to the wiring somewhere before the light assemblies and before any split to the other taillight, IMO. This assessment assumes that the wiring is going to be largely separate from the camper's truck connection. If anyone has any ideas about different wiring options I'd be interested :)

My personal preference is for an installation that is 'permanent' (with the obvious exception of a wiring disconnect for camper removal). I'm also hopeful that anyone who has snaked wires thru a FWC will check in with advice-that's gotta be a challenge!

If you have a trailer hitch plug as I do. First and last in the plug are the two you need. I mounted one in the rain gutter above door and wire around door with clips...right to plug. Has worked for 6 years.

Curios if wire pulling rope could be pulled down from the middle marker light then a third (brake) wire be pulled up with the wire tape?

'Snaking' wire thru the camper body is going to be a serious challenge; I'd personally prefer wire thru the body/frame area vs running alongside existing structures.

It's my belief that the innards of the camper walls contain pieces of styrofoam intended as insulation. Probably not gonna snake your way thru that stuff; it may become necessary to use existing wiring as a 'snake' and use it to pull new(er) wiring thru the space to achieve the necessary wiring for a CHMTBL. If the existing wiring is fixed anywhere along it's inner path this may not be an option.

It may come down to a coat hanger & some new wire. If that's the case I'll likely be forming new, longer words out of other shorter words that don't often appear together :eek:

buckland said:
If you have a trailer hitch plug as I do. First and last in the plug are the two you need. I mounted one in the rain gutter above door and wire around door with clips...right to plug. Has worked for 6 years.
Hi Buckland, any more details on the light you mounted above your rain gutter in the rear? Vermont is making me install one as part of my seemingly endless and very expensive odyssey to get the truck registered here. Just looking for something simple that will fit without a lot of drilling and compromising the shell.

Hey there Ed, (Happy B Day)
Attached find what I installed as it is the same here in MA. It is 7" long by 1.5" x 1.5" . It was a pita to find as it had to be the size to fit between the lifts and also fit in the rain gutter. The trouble is I have not found where I got it on line. I searched my Amazon orders and not there. I then wired it down the left side (hinge) of door and a couple clips underneath. Works great and legal.
I'll keep looking. I'll PM another question I have for you.

Attachments

• IMG_7089.jpg
    IMG_7089.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 55
Thanks Buckland, I searched for several hours, and think I found something based on your dimensions - similar. Unbelievable how many options there are that won't fit in that tiny space!

Yup I'm just going through my last bookmark folder ...nope. Oh well ... best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom