Rear Folding Aluminum Deck

dasadab

Advanced Member
Since buying my Hawk recently, I went a little gear crazy. However, Following a first shake down trip, I began to realize that I have to start thinking more about equiping the camper in the lightweight, small, backpacking tradition, rather than the "bring it all" RV or car camping tradition. Less clutter and less stuff is better.

But damn, the "bring it all" part is hard to surpress...I probably need a life coach.

Anyway, now I am thinking about a lightweight rear folding "deck" that could also double as a first step out for my two step Rubbermaid step stool. This one is the narrowest I could find and it folds up, if departure angle is an issue. It also would be a good place to strap down lightweight stuff.

Anyone experiment with a deck like this?

http://www.amazon.com/18100-Aluminum-Cargo-Carrier-Folding/dp/B004QEKG8C

Simplify, simplify. I'd go with your first instinct and reduce your gear. If it doesn't fit inside you probably don't need it.

It depends. I have the steel model with a modified mount (dog legged up) so that the camper door just clears when opening. It is also stabilized at the outer corners with turnbuckles to the rear bumper. I use a 2 step stool from the carrier to the ground. It does make a pretty neat "back porch", I ONLY use this set up when I am big game hunting to carry a 105 qt Yeti cooler for meat storage and 2 extra 5 gal gas cans. I would not use it for normal camping or fishing trips. For those, as others have stated, less is more.

cwd

We use one that has a special waterproof storage bag that is strapped in. Store everything so the door clears it and try to have the right side as low as possible and use the rubbermaid 2 step. We have placed a small piece of plywood to use has a platform and for the dog to cross over the gap to the pet ramp. If we are staying more than a couple of days we will take that off and lock it to the picnic table. jd

Traveling light is always a challenge but there are times and situations...

I worry about the lip on the deck in the photo. While nice to keep stuff on the deck, it looks just high enough to catch a toe or heel and send you sprawling in the dirt or mud. Maybe a piece of plywood or some such with non-skid tape in the middle to avoid this.

Alan

dasadab said:
Since buying my Hawk recently, I went a little gear crazy. However, Following a first shake down trip, I began to realize that I have to start thinking more about equiping the camper in the lightweight, small, backpacking tradition, rather than the "bring it all" RV or car camping tradition. Less clutter and less stuff is better.

But damn, the "bring it all" part is hard to surpress...I probably need a life coach.

Anyway, now I am thinking about a lightweight rear folding "deck" that could also double as a first step out for my two step Rubbermaid step stool. This one is the narrowest I could find and it folds up, if departure angle is an issue. It also would be a good place to strap down lightweight stuff.

Anyone experiment with a deck like this?

http://www.amazon.com/18100-Aluminum-Cargo-Carrier-Folding/dp/B004QEKG8C
Yes, I used one on our first long trip. After forgetting it was there, I backed into an Acura because it was so close I couldn't see it in the mirrors. The extras go on top now, the 'deck' into the dumpster at Valley of Fire.

I did back into a tree with mine turning around a two track once. I also have to unload mine to get into the camper.

cwd

Actually, we do store stuff on the back of our Hawk, using a 12" x 12" aluminum fuel box. On long trips, it fits a 5 gal. fuel can. Other times, I might put a military duffel with firewood or our collection of leveling planks. My crushed beer cans always collect there too.
We also bungie our trash bag (an old Coleman drybag) out there too.

I've used something similar on long hunting trips for a large cooler for meat, and for an action packer for gear. It worked well for our use. I also strapped a Honda 2000 generator and fuel to it. I haven't use it in a while, since I have been bringing an ATV in a trailer on hunting trips. But I would definitely use it again if I needed the extra space and didn't have the trailer. I used to leave the rack on the hitch while in camp, and found it was convenient as a step to get in and out of the camper. My rack is steel, but I would get an aluminum model if I bought another one.

Actually, we do store stuff on the back of our Hawk, using a 12" x 12" aluminum fuel box. On long trips, it fits a 5 gal. fuel can. Other times, I might put a military duffel with firewood or our collection of leveling planks. My crushed beer cans always collect there too.
We also bungie our trash bag (an old Coleman drybag) out there too.

I have this one. Its light weight and well made:

http://www.amazon.com/Tricam-ACC-1F-Aluminum-500-Pound-Capacity/dp/B00HDL2E4O/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452803967&sr=1-3&keywords=hitch+carrier

Just need a piece of plywood on the bottom. Works well as a step but need to make sure it doesn't rattle

On draw back is while en transit, entry/exit may be challenging if you are carrying a load and the load may preventing the camper door from opening.

I used it once to carry fire wood for a multi family camping weekend.

In terms of gear reduction, I try to keep as many things out of the camper aisle as possible.

LightHawk, nice box. Do you have an install thread?

I added a prototype wood rear porch hinged off the bottom of the bumper and supported on the side by chains attached at the tail gate chain connections. We missed a place to sit for tailgating and this worked great for that and for entry and loading the camper. I always intended to have it fabed in alum. but sold the camper before I got around to it. It shows in the avatar and more detail is available back around 2007-08 or so in the forum.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Yes, I used one on our first long trip. After forgetting it was there, I backed into an Acura because it was so close I couldn't see it in the mirrors. The extras go on top now, the 'deck' into the dumpster at Valley of Fire.
I worry about that with my (rear) hitch-mount motorcycle carrier!

Back
Top Bottom