rear solar socket not working

DonC

now that I have my roof solar working reliably thought I would use a small panel as a portable for early am/late pm.

I can measure 3+ amps at the mc4 connectors on the panel so I know the panel is working, but after plugging in to the rear factory installed solar plug my Trimetric measures no additional amps. I've tried this a number of times when the battery is low 80% of capacity.

It did work once on a trip, but have yet to see it work again.

thoughts?

Possibly, the inline fuse in the panel behind the Zamp charge controller. There is an automotive flat blade fuse holder for each line.
Don't know where your controller is located but try to look behind it to locate the wiring. On my front dinette, the fuse holders & wiring are visible by looking under the sink from the cabinet under the cooktop. I needed a flashlight to see them.

Paul
ps. just realized that you may not have factory Zamp charge controller. However, check back of your unit.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 159
Is the rear plug connected to the battery? I had to connect mine myself. They usually do not connect the plug to the battery at the factory unless you order the camper with solar panel included. The wires to connect are in the battery compartment. They will be labeled "rear solar plug."

As a precaution, be sure to put an in line fuse on the hot (red) wire before attaching it to the battery. I use a 15 amp fuse.

What model portable panel? With a controller or without? Your wires from the rear plug may well be rolled up and not connected. Put a meter on the rear plug if connected to the battery it will read battery voltage, if connected to your controller it should be more, if 0 volts not connected. All solar panels (over around 10 watts) need to go through a controller. The controller may be on the panel or in the camper. If you panel has a controller and you want to use the controller in the camper you will need to wire around the controller on the panel and then hook to the controller in the camper

I'll look at some of the suggestions here. Thanks as always.

This is a 2012 Fleet that had factory solar and rear socket installed.

It worked at least once as I checked the Trimetric the first time I used it and saw the amps increase by 3+. I have learned you really need a Trimetric or equivalent to know what is going on. Without it, I would have just assumed the panel was working. The panel is the one of six Renogy flexibles I used on the roof that still works.

I sent the same question to FWC support. I said that the Trimetric was not measuring any increase in amps, and they responded back asking what a Trimetric is and no suggestions on what to look for or how to diagnose, so that was concerning. I have followed up with two additional emails with no response.

Likely the wires are coiled up in the battery area and not connected to the system. That is how mine are currently that come form the back wall. I have a panel on my roof and those wires are connected to the solar controller. Look close because those wires can be hard to spot with all the other wires in the batter box. Mine were hidden up and behind the isolator.

Bwht4x4 said:
Likely the wires are coiled up in the battery area and not connected to the system. That is how mine are currently that come form the back wall. I have a panel on my roof and those wires are connected to the solar controller. Look close because those wires can be hard to spot with all the other wires in the batter box. Mine were hidden up and behind the isolator.
Bwht4x4-
Did you buy the solar package from FWC? I assumed that those solar wires in the battery box were tied in to both the rear wall plug and the roof plug. I haven't seen any other place where there might be wires.

My 2016 Eagle shell has roof and rear solar receptacles and neither was connected to anything, the wires were coiled up next to the Bussman panel. I connected them to my solar charge controller. Ron

Our 2014 Grandby has a Zamp 100W panel on the roof, a Zamp Controller, and a solar plug on the rear. Our solar plug was connected to the controller by FWC at the factory. When I purchase a portable Zamp 80W panel I had numerous discussions with both Zamp and FWC. Zamp wanted to know if the rear wall wires went to the controller. Once that was confirmed Zamp shipped me the panel without it's own controller. I use the panel in the winter to charge my batteries, once every 4-5 weeks to keep them charged. I haven't had any problems. jd

I had factory solar from FWC and both the roof panel and rear socket were wired up to the controller. I run a 60w foldable panel without a separate controller from my rear socket on occasion and it works fine.

Outnabout said:
Bwht4x4-
Did you buy the solar package from FWC? I assumed that those solar wires in the battery box were tied in to both the rear wall plug and the roof plug. I haven't seen any other place where there might be wires.
Outnabout,

I did not buy the full solar package from FWC. What I did buy was the rear wall solar plug. Later on I then wanted the roof plug too and they simply drilled a hole and installed the plug. The wires from the roof to the battery box I guess were already there because they didn't run wires when I had the plug installed.

Here's a view of my battery box and solar controller as of today. The rear wall solar plug wires are the ones I'm pointing at that have black tape on the ends. The wires from the roof plug are attached to the solar controller.

fxnDxH4rP2m3BB0xYACIdkh1uLh8squxtXeP42-RWizw57y9saAlQKE37pS3xI-d1IZuzdcXYRoiHcF_TuaY5QdPYznyNiFypRSZpJ3VuvyCkfe5nWUNoHRxunF15O1w7H8xGl9AuunQNp3dBvcVGQx_btJjw7hVivkSktmUbEkqKGGjP5cc3gkvWsXbe8_GoYsxQRlR7Pznl-owR_ou6wwf4Scdpr6kl2mTmPFWdOkYS8BG-EeSzfC1BPUcmcRqA7qoj7SQ77MmOzrVN3NiP-wp7B6PZd_3kG9ssm4s90O7dFNdRjy9Z3bSxDv36ibrINEEbK8eIBD6AQt8U8KBFhqfUixRuH5Y6JUWHcsgd8B075fjATZUPpSRPTqkezR6MUge-GnyvdLepIbU7tNMGImLKIq9Kg4cXBkFL5eNkROxhAEjGZjStkSI85nJIJ0_JaOm_hyfzFZ3cGx0Tk1hEP9Zwn9E-6brEWRyUGmvb2vr66g8qr-gIgGBpT3ruJm1_qS9DdNrLL4EzEzXMYMG7wDaHX78z_1tXR9ps3w3O9u5CWEuwR7Cnb7X5ixmoYADtjAn=w1698-h955-no

QY4Bssrm1_rbPSTsqdUW_JhhpDWWcG4fFkwr7nZNq6Blu79R9CSOTUGUggCCR21uqSFAW2Drb19FZX0oMJXucCwyv8mg_iHrEbUv-w43BdFx2Gr29fQrkugOGB-JZNHy3YpbiZSQc1OXttOokCyCXeJe8i6yxyKSDhCSPKVDeCt6RcjXZQqR2AFwSHa5uAXpw-kYXaZWRMdCsGDU3_HChbRQCv-bvxu7cMTefrhrI0gMbDm5D2LTqPdoqR3-uVz17nJ2gw-EyT1FkxaQ8SjWTtXDHPEfuL5ZOW8cL4QD4LnNN01wgMjzFyf2yKDarCr1KiWq2y2l_76RVIEJ_Z07d5KmeOJ6lt-Ski3Rn_GV0J8DTR4Vu9yIqDFhyKrvAjlP7HKljHItHJ3yCxuIvtYH6fFfNpyUvxb3-Dk6FU7bmfOhg8jKHQGLGYBS_KFeFAgHjKr3tNUdtNoffGFfUhVQZE9gHBmPCQnY3utatykdNmgV38jFivURJsO4SZ65OL31vMtjT7_sU-bTFy0_9_7pQdGx9IA6vnLKh-6oEx73Zgtae6PFlZhdGPRCG-Dg3fEDn0w7=w1698-h955-no

EliXa6uesgJAU3LMCzrjd_6nXp-6VRa0Lgnn9-MLDzfpPvzoa3o3dxw1qcECMJMW99NRMDzapj55268bUb1Dq8P4UGyRu-8icS-Tk85qgUhsAr5ljy2f9RmUKXKliNUyPqD1LFK1kjlX4-uL8eIbehsCm9t6aWaO4YzrOdYvmlkc8tr0gL4pZLfEn0__5EY7v0ClPcBj-7QZDw2preWHOgLGIbSsN9B9N7hEJT6g8YauNndYfq-_Me6-Cn36fajO7QxnS4aPE7XVxnWOTjRC2BQ7uNapj38TJMfxbKzZ06zywgpNjyggrM-somgBSzAu1nyP9IKzLgG_v6NxPDGIh9UWk0LeGTEO8JpHRFTtfH_7cmZ_USCc1jREllFpOCSVIxOKgNBLZuLUKFPzai6rnTv_uAb3ECF6q7G3aWzMsocRkRbRZiVBqJL4ud1qIxCK8zS7qePQy_5-C2ZrB-eFoTKYjzJQZg3cY3ALmmRnwE7zdJ4MXVsxrOclsi1jN_9JQ3SA1Hehk1vKmI_OrDPXIX6WYjlzDvTYz-TtA0QuFrFfhORCfpdsX_q31iHGGZQJzhxP=w1698-h955-no

2020 said:
Is the rear plug connected to the battery? I had to connect mine myself. They usually do not connect the plug to the battery at the factory unless you order the camper with solar panel included. The wires to connect are in the battery compartment. They will be labeled "rear solar plug."

As a precaution, be sure to put an in line fuse on the hot (red) wire before attaching it to the battery. I use a 15 amp fuse.
I have two wires in the battery compartment that are zip tied, but are not labeled. When I had it installed they told me I would need to connect them in order to use my solar panel. I don't understand why FWC doesn't just connect them. Would you have a photo on where they connect too?

If you get factory solar the top and rear plugs are wired to a solar controller which is then connected to the batteries with a fused connection . The wires in the battery compartment may not connect to the rear solar plug at all if you didn't get factory solar.

On my 2014 front dinette Hawk, the rear solar plug was wired to the factory Zamp controller, like Charlie's. However, there were two blue wires for the optional fridge fan that were just taped together with a wire bundle. These were smaller than the solar wiring. YMMV

Paul

I was thinking of buying one of these for my 2015 Hawk and plugging it into the rear socket. I like the fact that it folds up for easy storage. I already have the factory 160 W roof panels. I have the DC refrigerator. We are planning a trip to Canada and Alaska this summer. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have a little extra solar power capacity. What do you think? I note that it has a voltage regulator. Do you think this will create any inefficiency issues? Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MTGQ59S/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?qid=1466178218&sr=8-31&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=folding+solar+panel&dpPl=1&dpID=51t3PhZzFxL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

The one I have is http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/?f163600_60w_foldable_solar_panel&show=product&productID=271511&productCategoryIDs=6578.

It's a lot more expensive than the one you linked but the one that I have experience with and it works great. I've had it for almost 10 years. I bought the extension cord for it and converted one end to use the SAE connector. This allows me to move it around away from the camper and even on to the hood of my truck.

These are nice to have if you park in the shade but there is sun nearby.

Back
Top Bottom