Rear Window Leak 2015 Hawk

fuzzymarindave

I found some water in the inside channel of the rear window in the 2015 Hawk. I've got a call into FWC to see what they might suggest. The caulking around the aluminum window frame looks to be completely sealed against the fiberglass siding. Only other possible source is water getting between the glass and the rubber seal as assembled from the window manufacturer. Even though the rubber looks pretty tight against the glass I'm tempted to insert some flexible butyl rubber sealant or other material that does not harden. Any direct experience with this problem or other ideas would be appreciated. thanks,

Attachments

• hawk window.jpg
    hawk window.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 253
You might void your warranty. I would wait for guidance from FWC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Dave, try drying it off, then running a hose over the area. If it is leaking, I would expect you would see it and locate the problem area. I think Charlie might be right about condensation, but give it a test.

Condensation? Hmmmm...click on and enlarge that image...that is a lot of water...even in Marin Co! :D

Phil

Wallowa said:
Condensation? Hmmmm...click on and enlarge that image...that is a lot of water...even in Marin Co! :D

Phil
One way to find out is to try soaking the window from the outside. I'm not sure what the cause is.

Thanks for the ideas. FWC got right back to me and offered to look at it. I think we will go ahead ourselves to run the hose around the window to try to find the source of the leak. Then figure out next steps.

Looks like too much water for condensation. The rear window is another very good quality. I have a 2015 hawk. My rear window has big gap between the metal trip and its filled with sealant.

Looks like I may be having a similar issue. After hard rains, water is collecting inside the camper, in the corner where the rear window is located.

fuzzymarindave, were you able to resolve your problem? If you could post an update, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Durango2 said:
Looks like I may be having a similar issue. After hard rains, water is collecting inside the camper, in the corner where the rear window is located.

fuzzymarindave, were you able to resolve your problem? If you could post an update, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I have not had a second occurrence of the leak so far. I'll likely wait until that happens then try adding sealant between the glass and rubber moulding. My leak never overtopped the aluminum window frame into the camper area. Yours sounds more severe.

It seems it would still be worth investigation. Water leaks can cause pretty bad damage and even if the water is going someplace that looks to not be harmful today, it might be doing unseen damage or might look to stop leaking but really still is and the water going someplace else; you just can't see it. Best to investigate and determine the source of penetration and remedy that rather. The source is always more important to seal than where it exits into the interior because, if only the exit is sealed, one can inadvertently send the water someplace else. Then the leak goes unnoticed until even more damage occurs.

May not apply to your window leak and maybe you have looked and could tell what is going on with your leak, but in general, water leaks just make me nervous because I always worry I didn't remedy it correctly and there is some unseen water still getting in. Then, BAM! 15 short years later, you hit a bump pulling into your driveway and the whole thing disintegrates in front of your very eyes like the Blues Mobile! OK, maybe not that bad, but you could get a little rot. And, as anyone that has spent time in combat boots in the jungle can presumably share, there is no amount of rot, no matter how small, that is ok! Ha.

I have exactly the same issue with my 2007 Granby. I have determined that the water, while it is raining, is coming in above the top right corner of the window, (right from the inside looking at the window) dripping then down into the channel, from the inside. I am about to take the window out to explore and will let anyone who is interested know what I find.

I would really appreciate any other input with this problem as well!

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom