Rebuilding an early '80s Fleet

brett13

Lovecock
So, my friend just bought an early '80s Fleet for $200. "Just two-hundred American dollars?" you say. Yes, but...it had been sitting on a lot for 20 years and is in pretty bad shape. The frame and roof look fine, we (yes, I'm the technical adviser...{evil laugh}) plan to gut it down to the frame and exterior and do pretty much a full rebuild.

The first question is...about the lift panels. Existing ones are shot. I've read the replacement threads and it looks like a royal PITA. Being the adviser that I am, I'm wondering if we can't do without them? If we used the gas struts front and rear, plus some sort of mechanism at each corner (like a pole and bracket fitted to lock the roof in place for winds), would we even need lift panels? I'm not sure, but if you have ideas or thoughts, we'd like to hear them.

I'm sure you could. Not quite as simple but should work fine. Now if you were to add weight to the roof all bets are off.

Lift panels are a proven solution and pretty simple devices. Why try to come with a different solution?

I think when I said replacing "one" of the roof lift panels, it was going to be a pain in the rear (probably because of all the other stuff already installed and in the way of doing it).

However, if you are going to do a "gut it down to the frame and exterior and do pretty much a full rebuild", that would mean to me that the roof is coming off (yes?). You may want to re-do the headliner, of change the location of lights, or whatever.

When I was in the discovery process at ATC, I saw how Don, Jeff & Marty attach the roof lifter panels to the roof first (roof turned over, of course & after the headliner is installed, i.e, roof almost finished, but, no soft sides installed yet), then the roof lifter panel was installed on the frame, it didn't look that "pain-in-the-rear-ishness" (granted they do that job a lot, and are professionals). It was a straight forward process, but all three of them were involved.

You could probably call and talk to Marty of Jeff at ATC about how they do it and what the "gotcha" parts might be, they are very friendly guys and share a lot of info.

I just installed the gas shocks on my keystone. It has a roof rack and rocket box. I can lift the top with 1 finger. My rear panel is completely rotten. When I take it out it will not be replaced. If you are concerned about the top coming down, a short piece of 2x4 can be put in there.

I personally don't see much purpose in the left panels if you have the shocks.

Don't forget the lift panels steady/center the roof too. I'd think something would be needed in that nature and not just rely on the fabric to do so.

Back
Top Bottom