Recall of Sure Power Battery Separator

HiCap

Advanced Member
2010 Hawk, recall of Model 1314 Sure Power Battery Separator, received recall notice, stop using, selling and/or distributing. Gave serial numbers of affected parts. Shipped back to Cooper Bussmann, they will send new unit out. Instructions to bypass unit until new Sure Power Battery Separator arrives. Has anyone else received recall notice? Included instructions on how to locate the unit from Four Wheel Campers. Inc.

Yes, I received my official notice a few days ago. Others members of this site have long since replaced their recalled units. This official notice has been a long time coming.

Yes, I received my official notice a few days ago. Others members of this site have long since replaced their recalled units. This official notice has been a long time coming.

the recall letter made some vague mention of being compensated. Do they have any idea how long it takes to get to where FWC hid some of the units? I had to work on mine last fall - you nearly have to remove the water tank.

This recall is a year and half old.There was a thread about it.I did some searching but can't seem to find it.
I had a problem in July of 2011.At that time the company was giving a credit of about $80 or a new one when they came up with a replacement.
I have a ATC Bobcat and Marty contacted owners to alert them of the recall.I opted to go with the unit Marty was offering as a replacement and the same they used on all new campers after the recall.
The unit is a battery "isolator" does the same job but produces little or no heat.That was the problem with the Surepower unit.Being a solenoid type they produce a lot of heat and there was a possibility of fire when used in the confined space of out battery placement areas.
If you contact the company they will give you a form to fill out and send along with your old unit.You should have a choice to get the new unit or a refund,at least that was the program at the first of the recall.
One of the other advantages of the isolator is,if you have solar the unit will also charge the truck battery as needed.Other than the charging and heat ,they both do the same job.Only IMO the isolator is the best way to go.
Hope this helps.You can PM me for additional info.
Frank

Just received my notice a few weeks ago. Any idea why the lag time between the 2011 notice and our notification ? I've left a phone message at cooper bussmann and awaiting a reply

Actually Mac,I wasn't notified by the company.It was UglyScout that posted the articular he found,but yes there seems to be a great lag time.Once again,I am very happy with the route I took to solve the problem.ie the isolator unit from ATC has been great.
Frank

Actually Mac,I wasn't notified by the company.It was UglyScout that posted the articular he found,but yes there seems to be a great lag time.Once again,I am very happy with the route I took to solve the problem.ie the isolator unit from ATC has been great.
Frank

Frank, thanks for the info, I'll check out the previously posted thread. Mac

Back
Top Bottom