Reccomendations for a better camera strap?

smlobx

Lost again
Hi everyone-
As you may know I recently got the D500 along with a couple of lenses and have been playing with it.
With a telephoto lens it is quite heavy and the Nikon strap that came with the camera is probably not as good as it could be so I'm soliciting input on what others are using.
I was looking at the Peak Design and thought it looked interesting but would like to hear from those who have more experience than I...
Thanks.

I’ve used OP/TECH USA straps for years. Nice neoprene padding, so comfortable and non slipping on the shoulder. There are a ton of good straps on the market, which makes it hard to make a wrong choice.

I don’t remember what telephoto you bought, but when they get out in the range of 4-5 pounds, consider using a strap on the lens. These bigger lenses typically have loops for straps. Too much weight/stress on the camera mount can damage it things are dangling from the camera body straps.

I'm using OP/TECH as well. Like being able to setup the cameras and binoculars and swap things around between the double sling and single sling straps depending on what I need on a given day. The heaviest I've put on so far is a gripped D600 with a 200-500 on one side and a D7000 something on the other for a double carry and it was nice to have the flexibility.

OP/TECH is most comfortable, but I don't entirely trust the plastic buckles. Peak Designs is awesome and I've got their anchors on all my bodies, but the straps have no padding. I often remove the strap when shooting by hand or on a 'pod

I've been using Op/Tech for several years on my Canon 5D and Fuji XE-1. I also keep buckles on my backpack and daypack, mainly to carry binoculars. I like the slim profile of the strap and they have just the right amount of suspension and support. I also really like Op/tech's wrist strap for my Rx100 travel camera. It's perfect for one handed shooting and helps against a snatch and run. I've haven't had any issues with the buckles so far. I was somewhat leary of the thin straps that connect to the camera but haven't had any problems after over a decade of use. The buckles can be a pain to attach so I'd advise buying buckles for each piece of gear you plan to use the strap with.

Once I started using Black Rapid that has been my go to strap. I also use a hand strap for a more secure grip when I shoot. The BR keeps the weight off my neck which is much easier for larger lenses :)

Highly Recommend Peak Designs!

I have 2 bodies, so their little quick disconnect dongles (strap comes with 4) are a godsend swapping from body to body.

Amazing Quality!

I have had this on all of my NIkon DSLR cameras for about the last 10 years. Very comfortable and does not slip around on your shoulder/neck. Very handy if your monkeying around a bit to find a shooting location and also very secure with the metal buckles.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

+2 Peak Design Clip.

My heaviest lens is a 90mm on my Leica M and the Clip is nice!

Screenshot_2018-05-22_06.46.59.png

Obviously, a day pack, backpack or load bearing harness is required.

I ended up getting the OpTech straps for both my D500 and my Steiner binoculars and am very happy with their performance.

Back
Top Bottom