Recieved my solar panel today

Little rusty on posting.

Don't seal to roof. It needs to have some ventilation to keep it cool.

Looks sturdy.

Thank you for the heads up. That is not something I had considered. Right now overheating is not likely but I will take some action before next Spring.

Thank you for the heads up. That is not something I had considered. Right now overheating is not likely but I will take some action before next Spring.

I'm not sure if this is what lostnot was referring to...and maybe you already know this (if so, stop reading!
tongue.gif
)...but PV panels put out higher voltage when they're colder, lower voltage when they're hotter. And since they're black, they're gonna tend to be hot -- so the value of ventilation.

Like...back in October when I was camped at 11,000' in the White Mts and the high was 32F but totally sunny, my PV panel put out the highest wattage I've seen from it. (I don't know what voltage it was actually putting out 'cause my meter is downstream of an MPPT controller that converts "excess" voltage to more amps at a usable voltage).

Something to consider, anyway, as you say. :)

Camper is not prewired, not the panel. And I did order a cable to do just what you said.

What year is your FWC?
How did you determine that the camper was not prewired?
The only reason I ask is that it looks fairly new and I was under the assumption that they were all prewired.

Jeff

Mines a 2004, before they started doing the prewire. Not sure what year they started doing it on all of them.

Mines a 2004, before they started doing the prewire. Not sure what year they started doing it on all of them.

I think that 2005 was when it changed at FWC. Mine was built in late 2005 and the roof is pre-wired, but I think that Stan posted some time ago that some 2005 don't have pre-wiring.

I think that 2005 was when it changed at FWC. Mine was built in late 2005 and the roof is pre-wired, but I think that Stan posted some time ago that some 2005 don't have pre-wiring.

Yep-my 05 is pre -wired-but your panels make me feel like a pauper! I got tired of waiting for FWC to get the new solar panels on line, so i went out and bought a couple of Sunsei SE 1500s (solar chargers) and all the gear, controllers, ect on sale(<$200.00) from JC Whitney on sale. Put in the wires over the installed wires because i could not find some type of adapter to connect the two systems, put the panels on the roof and so far everything seems to work! So i have about 49amps(?) of power and it keeps my system charged up especially when i feel the need to put up my direct tv set up to watch my 49ers or the sf Giants. The thermostat power reading stays yellow while watching the tv and goes right to green when i turn off the tv (as opposed to red to yellow without it). No difference with the interior lights just stays green all the time and it feels good in the morning when it turns green once the sun is up and no more getting up in the middle of the night when the thermostat is on and the buzzer goes off on the third night out and i have to start the truck to stop it from buzzing on those cold winter nights! Anyway, this summer my frig went on the blink and the solar panels kept the beer cold enough to drink and run the lights, but not power enough for the freezer (after 3 days i came back in to get it fixed, but it was nice to have some power in the mean time. I'm still envious of your neat systems and it sort of a bother to keep plugging my system in when i camp and unplugging it when i'm on the road but it still works!:)

FWIW: My PV panel is set up as free-standing becasue I like the ability to point it directly at the sun (when in camp), but my second one (which I'll add soon) will be permanently mounted on the roof.

Here's how I wired up/ connected my free-standing panel, which I posted as part of this trip report last year:
gallery_2431_103_52034.jpg

gallery_2431_103_27840.jpg

The wires that lead down from the controller lead to that plug that comes in from the outside.
The wires that lead down from the meter lead to the camper battery, permanently connected.

Just a tip for future electrical upgrades or repairs:

Instead of the standard crimp connectors, try using the Posi-LocK wire connectors. There are very easy to use, do not wear out, and are re-useable. Ideal for me since I never get any wiring right the first time.

Their website explains it much better.

Posi-Lock = http://www.posi-lock.com/
Posi-Tap = http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html
Posi-Twist = http://www.posi-lock.../positwist.html
Posi-Tite = http://www.posi-lock.com/positite.html

There are usually some decent prices on eBay for these connectors.

Made a new cross bar for the panel. Something I had intended to do anyway for tying down shorter items.

Had to make my own brackets. After much measuring, cutting and drilling and multiple trips to the roof of the camper I bolted it all together. Much to my amazement everything lined up on the first try :D
solpanelroof.jpg

Thursday I pulled a muscle in my back at work. Was all I could do to get through friday at work. So after I'm all done and climbing down the ladder I missed a step and hurt my back again :(
solpanelroof2.jpg

Then the mailman shows up with my charge controller. Thats gonna be fun. I have to remove my freezer to do the install. My back should love me tomorrow. I plan to run the wiring outside temporarily. Still unsure how to do the wiring through the roof.

I went with the morningstar sunsaver 20. Picked it up off ebay pretty cheap. I couldn't see spending the money for an mppt controller. Maybe later when I'm spending weeks instead of days in the boonies.

Just finished hooking it up. Scared the hell out myself. I had my five dollar multi meter hooked up. Soon as I made the last connection it shoots up to 20 volts. Quickly grabbed an old analog meter that showed all was well. Phew :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom