Recommendation for Longbed T-100 and pop up truck camper

dagankoffler

I'm a newbie to the world of truck campers. I have a long bed 4x4 T-100 truck and am doing my research for the best pop up camper for my truck. I am planning on using this rig for a couple month long trip through mexico that will include a combo of beach, mountain camping and some city parking lots or RV park overnights. I have gone back and forth on some pop ups that have a toilet-shower combo. Not sure how much the extra weight will effect the driving stability. I have a 8ft bed so I could potentially get a pretty big camper. Any feed back to how much people use certain options on these campers? Also thought about installing an outdoor shower connection and have a porta pottie storage as oppose to internal shower-toilet. Anyone have experience with these two options. I have found a couple early 90's Skamper models that are really affordable and wanted to see if people know the quality of these camper?? Thanks, The Newbie

The good news is the Skamper is pretty cheap used. The bad news is there's a reason for it. If you're not going on a lot of rough roads it probably will hold up OK. It is quite a bit heavier than a FWC or ATC. The T-100 guys can help you with the weight issue.

A nice rig....

Sounds like your looking for this rig.....

Attachments

• DSCN1693.jpg
    DSCN1693.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,358
  • DSCN1777.JPG
    DSCN1777.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,330
I have no porta potty and no outdoor(or indoor) shower..
Don't really miss either( never had either).

I have an FWC Ranger. That is the "skinny" 8 foot camper..You could fit a FWC Grandby("fat") on your truck. i really like the norrow camper on the T-100 LB for visibility reasons..I HOPE YOU HAVE THE 3.4ltr ENGINE!!!!! I have the 3.0 and it aint enough, but I get by.

The skamper WILL fall apart if you go offroad..

on the beach in Mexico...

Attachments

• DSCN1926.jpg
    DSCN1926.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • DSCN1916.JPG
    DSCN1916.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 977
Thomas

Yeap I have that exact truck. Bad news is I have the 3.0 as well. Installed airbags in back and gas shocks in front does that help in the matter??

As the newbie here( old guy, soft camper), I would like to offer am opinion.

Lightweight is #1 priority. Low air drag is included.

Number 2 is your style. If you are moving from tenting, then a shell with a heater is paradise. If you are a traveler, staying a night and moving on, then you are more like me. I want convenient storage, easy access. If you are a hunter, staying at base, and needing 6 chests to haul out the meat, that's another story.

As a recent buyer (4/08), FWC and ATC are the lightest in the market. I'm on a Toyota Tacoma, there was no other option. Not a bad thing, since they are near.

Refrig is a must for me, as is heater. If you could give a bit more about your way of camping, maybe we could give more info.

Dagan,

I built the rear leaf pack up with two extra leafs. Not add a leaf, but full leafs. Rancho 9000's all around..It's a little bouncy without the camper, but bulletproof.

Replaced both cylinder heads not to long ago, cha ching. I hope it will keep running until the rust gets it..

I also had an older FWC on the T-100 for a while...

Tomas Tierra said:
Dagan,

I built the rear leaf pack up with two extra leafs. Not add a leaf, but full leafs. Rancho 9000's all around..It's a little bouncy without the camper, but bulletproof.

Replaced both cylinder heads not to long ago, cha ching. I hope it will keep running until the rust gets it..

I also had an older FWC on the T-100 for a while...[you don't happen to have the FWC still laying around and want to sell it.]

Back
Top Bottom