Refinishing / Painting base plywood - what to use?

kmcintyre

I'm on a roll... I'd like to refinish the plywood "base" and seal it up. Any recommendations on what to use on the grey plywood?

Thanks again.

Kevin

If you do a search on here there are a couple of threads and/or posts about either painting or otherwise refinishing the outside lower unit on a FWC.

Mine is a bit older than yours as mine is the "classic" brown bottom, and deck and fence stain cleaned it up. I'd guess a good exterior paint for the grey bottoms.

Good Luck with your referb.

Gladden floor & porch oil based is what some of us have successfully used. Low cost, yet fairly tough it seems.

pods8 said:
Gladden floor & porch oil based is what some of us have successfully used. Low cost, yet fairly tough it seems.

My paint guy asked me if I knew whether the original paint on my 2004 Hawk was oil or latex based. He said only latex should be used if unknown cuz oil based paint won't stick to latex but latex will stick to oil.

So, anyone know if oil or latex was used on my Hawk?

Thanks gentlemen!!

Fred

When I painted mine I used marine paint from westmarine. I don't recall if it was latex or oil. I'll see if I still have any left.

Soemthing I've wondered about, could you Line-X(or similar spray on bedliner) the plywood bottom of a FWC? I wonder if the wood has to "breathe", and I wonder how well a spray on bedliner would stick to plywood?

I've got access to all the tools needed, and I could get the spray on material from Eastwood for less than $200...I'm thinking spray the bottom with bedliner and not worry about it for the next decade or more.

I've talked to the LineX people and they can spray it but I'm not sure how much it'd cost, etc.

Back
Top Bottom