Reflectix insulation

Barko1

Now that I don't have work intruding on my time I am getting to a few items with the Granby. I bought a 48"X25' roll of reflectix insulation with is basically bubblewrap cover with aluminum foil on both sides. I plan on making an insulating layer around the popup sides but I started with a couple of small jobs. 1st my roof vent was apparently insulated at one time but what remained was like a thin layer of fungus. I used spray on contact adhesive on both sides then cut and pasted.
477379454_6ECqk-M.jpg

The next task was to line the inside of the propane tank compartment, seemed like there was no insulation between it and the inside of the camper. Tight fit but better insulated now.
477379232_V6h8j-M.jpg

I think this stuff is about $ .50 a square foot.

Nice. In addition you could use that (or that hard foam board) to line the sides of your camper (inside the box) if you have room in the fit between the box and camper.

Unfortunately I don't have any room on the side for insulation as there is about 1/2" total clearance on the sides but I'll keep investigating. The access to the front turnbuckles is a good source for cold infiltration but that is usually covered with the dogs' sleeping bag/mat etc so it gets insulated that way. And for the windows I have been using the thermarest.

Not too far back was a thread about steps. Here is a picture of a hitch extender with a welded on step that came from Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is crap but this seems fine and was only $25. I may bolt a motorcycle carrier rail that I have onto it and see if I can carry my 250 on there when I don't take the trailer.

477460549_SvErA-S.jpg

i have looked everywhere in my home town to no luck.... shame it looks like good stuff i am thinking i am going to try with some of the 2' blue closed cell camping mats that you can get anywhere. probably not nearly as good but has to be better than nothing and cheap too

just getting home to get the rig ready for my 6000km (on way) trip so ill see what i can sort out

JedffyG

Why not get some of the reflextic stuff while traveling? I think all the home depots carry them. Probably a lot better than the blue foam, in my opinion.

Have a good trip and write often.

dave

i have looked everywhere in my home town to no luck.... shame it looks like good stuff i am thinking i am going to try with some of the 2' blue closed cell camping mats that you can get anywhere. probably not nearly as good but has to be better than nothing and cheap too

just getting home to get the rig ready for my 6000km (on way) trip so ill see what i can sort out

No homedepot or lowes near by? Both of them carry it.

Reflectix is great!

I just did my last "shakedown" trip of one week and had some really cold temps, water pump freezing, etc. So I went to town with that stuff, did the inside of the propane compartment, even the door with cool vents. Then I pulled the galley panel off and put foam insulation around the plumbing, reflectix under the sink and behind the drawer, all around the propane compartment from the inside.
I then made two custom window inserts for the front slider and side window. The latter has a open and close feature for the louvered vents and slot for the knob to open it.

All in all I think it will work well for the future, especially when I get my Arctic Pack for the upper in a day or so.

Amazingly....here in the heart of "Snow Country" our Home Depot doesn't stock reflectix!

Good job, kodachrome. It's tell-tale when you look into the cabinetry how it's wide open to the cold....especially if you got the hot water heater option. Yup, these units must be made somewhere warm where it rarely freezes. LOL. On the same topic....have you come up with any good ideas for a drain below the water pump? It could be >much< easier for my tastes!

mtn

Amazingly....here in the heart of "Snow Country" our Home Depot doesn't stock reflectix!

Good job, kodachrome. It's tell-tale when you look into the cabinetry how it's wide open to the cold....especially if you got the hot water heater option. Yup, these units must be made somewhere warm where it rarely freezes. LOL. On the same topic....have you come up with any good ideas for a drain below the water pump? It could be >much< easier for my tastes!

mtn

Installing a shut off in between the pump and tank is something I would like to do in the future, but it looks tough. There is just not a lot of room between the pump and tank, maybe an inch of tubing including what is on the fittings.

The pump only froze up when it was 14F overnight and I was not using the camper. When I am in it, the temp is never below freezing so the water is fine, especially with the new insulation everywhere. I think by my timed tests ( how long it takes the temp to drop 5 degrees once the furnace is off ) I gained about 15% efficiency with the cabinet insulation mods and another 15% from the window covers. I still lose a lot of heat out of the top though, so once I get the Arctic Pack up there, I am hoping for a another 25% from that since heat rises...and escapes.

I am a pretty cold sleeper in the Winter, like it around 50-55 for efficiency sake. Then I up it to 65 when I am up and about. It's not hard to manage from 20F and up, it is below 20F that gets tougher to work with. I figure when is is well below zero, like -15 to -30F, I would consider sleeping on the fold out couch "stealth" style for even more efficiency by keeping the top down.

Mods, mods and more mods...:)

I figure when is is well below zero, like -15 to -30F, I would consider sleeping on the fold out couch "stealth" style for even more efficiency by keeping the top down.

Mods, mods and more mods...:)

You get a "Hardcore Award" then :eek:

I would consider sleeping on the fold out couch "stealth" style for even more efficiency by keeping the top down.

Just keep in mind depending on how your couch/furnace are set up the bed might block the vent, just make sure that isn't an issue before hand.

However the top down does hold heat rather well. We had a 50min wait with 30deg temps in road construction in Sequoia nation park a week ago and we had just started the truck so it wasn't hot. Instead of idling it we just hoped in the back, fired up the heater to mid 60's and it only lost a couple deg by the time we got out 40min later.

Just keep in mind depending on how your couch/furnace are set up the bed might block the vent, just make sure that isn't an issue before hand.

However the top down does hold heat rather well. We had a 50min wait with 30deg temps in road construction in Sequoia nation park a week ago and we had just started the truck so it wasn't hot. Instead of idling it we just hoped in the back, fired up the heater to mid 60's and it only lost a couple deg by the time we got out 40min later.

Good to hear on the hoping in the back...

I already ran the clearance test, it clears well. I also use the table bottom to divert the heat to a direction more into the cabin. I get my Arctic Pack tomorrow, off to Denver Thursday for a security device install and then up to the badlands in S. Dakota and beyond for over two weeks.

One goal for my project is to spend 3-4 days at a big old fashioned truck stop in Gillette Wyoming this Winter and hopefully get stuck in a big fat snowstorm for some great photography. It tends to get darn cold up there...

One goal for my project is to spend 3-4 days at a big old fashioned truck stop in Gillette Wyoming this Winter and hopefully get stuck in a big fat snowstorm for some great photography. It tends to get darn cold up there...

I think you're late :LOL: But that sounds like it could yield some "cool" photos. Watch out for the lot lizards :eek:

I think you're late :LOL: But that sounds like it could yield some "cool" photos. Watch out for the lot lizards :eek:

Oh, now there is a good subject, haha! Talk about "hardcore"...:-O

I built a deflector for the heater in my Hawk that works well to keep the person on the bottom from becoming "well done" while the folks on the top bunk are still 'thawing'...

It's crude...but it works. The metal portion is a paint strainer that sits on top of your roller pan...."custom" bent to grab in the right places and hang onto the furnace....and the plastic shield that deflects the heat (can be moved up or down) is part of a cut up "e-collar" for a dog that is merely affixed with twisty ties.

I made it to see if it would help/work...fully intending to make something else later that looked a bit better....but after using it all winter last year and liking the result, I got out the stove paint...painted it...and now...well...she's good to go!

mtn

Attachments

• nono 025 Large e-mail view.jpg
    nono 025 Large e-mail view.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 588
Oh, now there is a good subject, haha! Talk about "hardcore"...:-O

I had never heard the term until I was involved in reviewing some research on sexually transmitted diseases at truck stops. Maybe you should get one of these stickers as well as a WTW one.
680673542_bSGtK-Th.gif

As has already been pointed out the turnbuckle doors are a problem. Stuffing a small dog in front is one solution but may not fit all needs (and you need 4 dogs).
Any other ideas on what could be placed out side the door that might insulate and cut down on air infiltration? I thought of a small down pillow but it is likely to get wet out there.

Back
Top Bottom