Reflectix insulation

If you look on the Vanagon and Syncro forums you will see lots and lots of people who use Refletix, although there it is mainly used for sound proofing. When I had my Vanagon Syncro I covered the whole interior and underside of seats and cabinets with it. It made a substantial difference in sound deadening. It also made a significant difference in making the van warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. But I am not sure how much help it would be keeping heat out on the camper vs the Syncro as the syncro is basically a tin can without an ounce of insulation in it so I think that almost anything would have made a lot of difference. It would clearly make a big difference anywhere there is a window or clear vent as Refletix is basically like a lot of the fold out shades that go into the front window and they really help with the heat.. For the windows and my one clear vent I just sewed the velcro on to the refletix and it worked fine for years. I plan on doing the same thing on my Fleet as soon as I stop procrastinating.

@ carld, the discussion beginning on lower Pg. 2 in this thread: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/6428-cold-weather/page-2 may be pertinent to your summer situation, as it has been for mine here in AZ. You can rest assured that a cheapo Reflectix solution will certainly result in a cooler summer or warmer winter inside your camper, no matter what configuration you might decide to mount it in. Then again, so would an authentic arctic-pack. Good luck on whatever you determine to do.
Rico.

reflectix insulation??? should you buy the bubble inside one or the foam inside one?????

I think the following comments from the linked article are appropriate and accurate. I recommend reading the article - carefully - it is worth the time to do so:

"If you don't provide air space, this product <Reflectix> provides almost no insulating value. The rubber meets the road on Reflectix's website, where it says, "No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit. (An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.)"

"If you've got air space, why laboriously suspend a shiny Bubble Wrap in the center of it when you can just fill it with far more effective fiberglass batt insulation?"

"That is a question you will need to answer yourself."

https://www.thespruce.com/is-reflectix-foil-considered-real-insulation-1821923

Back
Top Bottom