Reflectix insulation

First thing would be to eliminate the cold paths. They're easy to find, spend a cold night in the camper with the heater off. Those frost lines are they.

FWIW, I found this website debunking the R-value claims of the foil-faced bubble wrap products: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/stay-away-foil-faced-bubble-wrap

Interesting read. Prodex is cited as one of the examples of "gross exaggeration" of performance.

The foil facing only adds value if adjacent to a dead airspace of 2" or greater. The R-value in the absence of dead air space is negligible for both Reflectix and Prodex.

Having said that, we do use Reflectix in our windows, behind the Arctic Pac and under our mattress. Don't know if it is doing any good. After reading this, I have my doubts. :)

takesiteasy said:
FWIW, I found this website debunking the R-value claims of the foil-faced bubble wrap products: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/stay-away-foil-faced-bubble-wrap

Interesting read. Prodex is cited as one of the examples of "gross exaggeration" of performance.

The foil facing only adds value if adjacent to a dead airspace of 2" or greater. The R-value in the absence of dead air space is negligible for both Reflectix and Prodex.

Having said that, we do use Reflectix in our windows, behind the Arctic Pac and under our mattress. Don't know if it is doing any good. After reading this, I have my doubts. :)
Yep, it always seemed to good to be true.

takesiteasy said:

-- snip --
After reading this, I have my doubts. :)
Thanks for posting this link. I have Reflectix under my mattress on top of a Coleman closed cell foam sleeping pad that fills the gap between the cab over foam and the slide out bed extension that we leave unextended. We haven't felt cold underneath when sleeping but really don't have any measurable values.

Paul

On the bright side, it can protect the wood... I lined most of my interior with Reflectix, and I'm a lot less worried about throwing stuff in and scratching up the camper (for example, the wood under your bench seat, or the front wall of the camper).

I've also put rigid foam inside the camper, so I covered exposed foam with Reflectix with the goal of providing a small ignition barrier. Not sure how effective that is, but if it gives us an extra few seconds to hear the fire alarm I'm happy.

Since then I have come across that Green Building Advisor site once or twice and wish I could easily find polyisocynaurate insulation.

Regardless of the R value article I have no doubt reflectix makes a HUGE difference having experienced long term before and after use combined with my Olympian Wave 3. Whether it's just the bubble wrap layer doing the insulating I don't know, but it kicks butt compared to canvas alone.

Sunman,

Indeed, it is the bubble wrap doing the work. Physics says Reflectix is not really doing much except perhaps making the bubble wrap a little more robust. There may be cheaper products that do that without the hype of Reflectix.

We use lots of gold plated mylar and reflectix type multi-layer blankets on spaceborne instruments to control thermal energy but in space one can use radiant energy and the near vacuum. Not so on Earth.

Regards,

Craig

I made an "Artic Pack" of sorts from Reflectix as well and it does help. The way mine attaches, there is at least a 1"-2" air space between it and the vinyl. If it doesn't help reflect heat back into the camper, how do space blankets work?

cwd

Space Blanket from Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_blanket

Remember metallized films are not insulators they are a thermal radiation reflector or thermal radiation shield that is also thermally conductive.

The problem is if it is in contact with another surface (glass, camper wall, whatever). The metal film is conductive and conduction trumps radiation when a conducting medium (air, metal, whatever) is present.

Better to use an insulating material like the bubble wrap attached to Reflectix (which is doing most if not all the work in most if not all the examples given in this thread) or polyisocyanurate foam or similar.

Thank you. After reading that and several links in from the page, it certainly seems that a reflective insulation would help. Especially with a Wave heater. No?

cwd

cwdtmmrs

Not so much. My recommendation is to use a real insulation material.

I think you should revisit some of the links to understand why.

Regards,

Craig

cwdtmmrs

I made an Articpak from reflectix and it makes a huge difference. When installed it creates an air gap between the tent material and outside layer of reflectix of about 1 inch which provides insulation and vastly reduces condensation when used with our Wave 6. We camped in single digit temps for 2 nights over Xmas and only had to use the Wave 6 on low. It is a cheap and effective way to extend the comfort of your camper in cold weather. I'd keep it simple with no window cutouts and even if you don't like it you are only out about $40.

BillM said:
cwdtmmrs

I made an Articpak from reflectix and it makes a huge difference. When installed it creates an air gap between the tent material and outside layer of reflectix of about 1 inch which provides insulation and vastly reduces condensation when used with our Wave 6. We camped in single digit temps for 2 nights over Xmas and only had to use the Wave 6 on low. It is a cheap and effective way to extend the comfort of your camper in cold weather. I'd keep it simple with no window cutouts and even if you don't like it you are only out about $40.
cwddmmrs, you have a wave 6 in your Eagle fleet ?

Bill, that is exactly what I did as well if you check a few posts back. I did all of the glass windows as well. It makes a big difference. I'm not an engineer....although I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.....I figure if a space blanket reflects radiant heat and a reflector oven can cook biscuits, then the silver Refetctix must reflect some heat back into the camper.

cwd

Mickey, I have a mid 90's FWC Ranger II (Eagle). I have the forced air heater and a Wave 3. I warm up with the forced air and then switch to the Wave.

cwd,

I recently picked up a 05' Eagle, I live in Colo. and would love to do some cold/snow camping/ fishing but am concerned 1) about the fabric when lowering and being able to tuckit enough to latch the top for travel 2) Not real excited about running forced air all night.
Does the wave3 keep the cold out if temp is in single digits ? Not trying to hijack this thread.

Yes, I can keep well above freezing in the camper with the Wave 3, although maybe a Wave 6 might be better for your purpose. I don't like to use the furnace at night either. Too much battery draw. I have no had an issue with the tent fabric folding up and roof closing.

cwd

PS. Not positive I have been out in single digits. Teens for sure.

Yes. I was surprised my last snow run, running the wave all night, me and the dog and still no condensation issues. I still wonder why some are so affected yet its a minimal issue to me. Top vent was open and bottom was open but not that much.

I've long thought that Reflectix can't have much R just because of what it is. However, I've used it twice in different circumstances and have been impressed with it in both cases. First case was glued to the underside of a black '91 Suburban's roof above the headliner. Both heat and interior noise were reduced. The former was the hoped-for result, the latter was an unexpected and very welcome result. Interior noise went from hard to have a front seat to rear seat conversation to could easily have such a conversation.
The second use is in our camper covering all of the windows. We used to feel an increasing cold gradient when moving towards a window. Don't feel that now. Presumably it has the same effect with external heat, but we haven't tested that.

Has anyone used Reflectix to reduce heat in the summer. I noticed that when the sun shines on the sidewalls you can feel a lot of radiating heat. I would think the foil layer would help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom