Remote camping in and around colorado

mennace

I would like to know where remote camping places are in colorado. Been camping in campgrounds as I don't know the rules for state and national park camping. Would like to know places where it's legal to camp remotely in and around colorado. Where do people go as I often see pics of fwc in the middle of nowhere!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

mennace said:
............................................................. as I don't know the rules for state and national park camping. Would like to know places where it's legal to camp remotely in and around colorado.
As a general rule state parks and National Parks require you to stay in an official campground. BLM and National Forest lands, generally, are open to dispersed (non campground) camping. Find a place along a road that has been used previously. Do not make any "improvements" (build fire ring, move logs for benches, etc) and leave it cleaner than before. And be very respectful of others camped in the area and they might treat you the same. In official "recreation areas" inside BLM and USFS lands it many times is required to "camp in designated campsites only". This is usually posted with a sign stating what I just wrote. It is best to give the Forest or BLM district office for the area you are visiting a call and ask. The person you talk with may even let you in on some favorite spots. :)

To add to ski3pin's reply most dispersed camping must be done within 300' of the road. However, I've never seen a ranger with a tape measure...

Thanks!! Are there some specific areas around colorado -Utah -Wyoming that you could tell me about?

It's great to see folks plannng to do things the right, and legal, way.

Ski's tip on phoning local district offices is a great one. For National Forests (NFs), you're looking for "Ranger District" offices, where each named NF is divided up into several Ranger Districts. You'll find the Ranger District offices listed by address and telephone numbers on that NF's official US Department of Agriculture National Forest Service website. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has local district offices, too, but I am less familiar with the administrative subdivisions of the BLM. I have, however, successfully engaged local BLM personnel by email and telephone relative to very specific road conditions and camping sites in far southwest Montana.

As to specific areas in CO-UT-WY, where to start? I'll hazard a guess that there are over 20 million acres of NF lands alone spread across the 3 states. What I suggest is becoming familiar with NFs first, and that can be a wholly online study. Just go to, for example, the Shoshone NF website and start clicking on maps, camping and recreation, and other tabs. Look at the NF's current Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs, available online), as a given NF's road system is very extensive, involving hundreds of roads and trails, since at any given time access is restricted for one area or another, and major seasonal restrictions are shown on the MVUM.

With some familiarity of NF units under your belt, invest $20-25 in a Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas for each state you're interested in exploring. The Benchmarks are superb tools for planning, showing accurate and specific plots of NF lands, BLM lands, other Federal lands, and state lands. They show recreational areas such as designated NF and BLM campgrounds, roads, trails, streams, lakes, etc. While they're not topographic maps, they are excellent shaded-relief maps with many "spot elevations" which give a very good picture of the topography. Combining a downloaded/printed MVUM (or, having the MVUM on a reliable digital device), a Benchmark, and a good GPS with which you are good at using (and not trusting blindly) makes for a fine set of tools with which to plan and execute some serious Rocky Mountain off-highway exploring.

Enjoy the planning and the exploring.

Foy

Wow!! Thanks for the plethora of 911. Going to Leadville in the morning but I will definitely research this ASAP.. That's why I got a FWC instead of an airstream.

Just about any 4wd road will have some nice boon docking spots.
Webster Pass, Radical Hill, Redcone Mt. vicinity:

urzNNyV.jpg

jc9gyt3.jpg

iDPLRHH.jpg

3LtmMAk.jpg

Webster Pass

Be aware though, that while most of these shelf roads are not really that difficult, the margin of error can be small and the consequences can be and have been tragic. Redcone, close to 14,000', behind me there has an especially high pucker factor.

Trust me, you won't see any Airstreams.

Looks great! what city is this near?

If you're still going to Crested Butte there is a nice site on Slate River road. Keep going straight where the road takes a sharp right switchback on the way up to Washington Gulch. There are two sites there but kinda close together. If someone is there another spot is on up the switchbacks just before Washington Gulch (811). Way too busy around there for me, it's pretty but just too many people. I went to the 4mile recreation area just East of Buena Vista and had a blast. Found a good road to give the camper and truck a test and no one around.

I got a la d management map from rei. I guess the plan is just go to bureau of land management lands and drive and camp?

Back
Top Bottom