Removable Rear Step

DonM

Using some Square stock, remnants from a bed liner and some bits and pieces, a friend fabricated this step which comes off quickly when off road as it does leave some furrows:0) Really light and quite solid using the existing truck hitch. I do put a bolt on for trips where we park in the city to slow down the metal scavengers, off road I just use a standard pin. Only change I would make would be to perhaps add to the one side to hold a Jerry Can but then it would be hard to take off and store inside when offroad.

Attachments

• bmper.jpg
    bmper.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 215
  • step.jpg
    step.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 200
very nice. I thought of something like that, only you have more talent then I do, you actually made one. good job

Thank you, if you ever do go ahead it is pretty straight forward but I would be happy to send dimensions.

Dimensions for LTZ Hopefully this makes sense when used in reference to the pix above.
-Step size-28 inches by 7, 2 1/2 inches thick with a 1 !/4 inch wide strip underneath. The thickness will be
determined by the thickness of your checkerplate and the square stock, just keep a two inch space for the square
stock. (checkerplate = 28 by 12 by 3/16ths)
-main support 2 inch by 14 inch rounded corner square stock (to fit a hitch receiver so size as needed see below)
-side support 2 3/8 by 16 1/4" stock (the length is determined by the angle of your hitch support angle)
-support flange (the little wedge shaped piece welded on top of the side support that rests on the hitch support)
five inches long by two inches wide at the support end tapering down to 5/8" closest to the step

The step is centered on the truck, the door is centered a few inches to the right facing the door, this makes entry much better as the step in to the camper is direct from the center of the step into the left side (most open part) of the doorway opening and in line with the standing area in the camper.
If you started by measuring the center tube for the hitch receiver out to the back edge of the camper and then added 7 inches for a step you would be able to form the step. (I used checkerplate from an old box liner) The checkerplate needs to fit around the center tube, a 2" square cutout on the camperside edge provides a spot to tack.
Then put the tube in the hitch receiver, mark the hole for the pin, and measure how long your side supports need to be. Mine are 16" but every truck and hitch has different dimensions.
Cut and attach the side supports and cut and attach the top support wedge.

Even with just 7 inches hanging out the back we touch and drag when offroad so the step comes off and stores inside on the floor when the good roads disappear.

Back
Top Bottom