Remove Tacoma Sharkfin Antenna for FWC?

huckfinn

Advanced Member
I'm prepping my 2015 Tacoma for a Fleet FWC mid-april. The satellite radio antenna (shaped like a shark fin) sticks up a few inches above the cab. I think the Fleet will clear it, but if I ever want to use that space, between the bottom of the camper overhang and the top of the cab, it would probably be easier if I took care of it now—found something with a lower profile, or got rid of it, since I don't use satellite radio. I do use the gps, though. I have read elsewhere that beneath the antenna are two holes, one for a fastening screw, and for an aligning pin that would have to covered somehow. Apparently, Toyota has been using this shark fin antenna since 2012. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? What was your solution?

Thanks,
Mark

I had to add 3rd party XM and GPS antennas to my 2015 Tacoma, I just left the shark fin on and it's no problem with my Eagle. The antenna wires are part of the cabin wiring harness so I just unplugged the antenna from the back of the radio and added new ones. Needed a Lexus adapter as I recall, actually had a local stereo place do mine.

I can't help you with the antenna removal but I just picked up my new Fleet back in November. There is no clearance issue with my 2014 Tacoma and Fleet, Brad

Stalking Light said:
I had to add 3rd party XM and GPS antennas to my 2015 Tacoma, I just left the shark fin on and it's no problem with my Eagle. The antenna wires are part of the cabin wiring harness so I just unplugged the antenna from the back of the radio and added new ones. Needed a Lexus adapter as I recall, actually had a local stereo place do mine.
I hadn't given the nav antenna any thought, I guess not many people with tacomas have factory nav. Do you recall what antenna was used for the gps?

Back
Top Bottom