Renogy suitcase solar

Estevee

Hi guys...I am thinking of getting a Renogy suitcase solar panel without the controller so that I can get a Renogy Rover controller. My question...with this setup, can I mount the controller in my Hawk and feed it from the panels through the connector on the rear of the Hawk. Why I ask is because I believe the controller on this setup is usually attached to the panels. I would rather get a real world answer than a salesman’s pitch.

I made my own suitcase with two 100w Renogy panels, a stainless piano hinge, MC4 connectors, and long cables to a Zamp solar port. I put the controller inside next to the batteries.

Note that my suitcase folds up leaving the glass sides exposed. It seems like the bolts would have been too close to the PV sheet if I put the hinge so the glass sides would fold toward each other. A different hinge might do the trick to move the bolts away from the PV sheet.
What I do like about where I have the hinge is that I can coil the cables inside the panel and then close it up.

Have you considered having a padded soft sided zippered carrying/storage case made to protect your panels?

Seems to me that something like surfboard carrying bag material would be ideal.

Craig

COBlue said:
I made my own suitcase with two 100w Renogy panels, a stainless piano hinge, MC4 connectors, and long cables to a Zamp solar port. I put the controller inside next to the batteries.

Note that my suitcase folds up leaving the glass sides exposed. It seems like the bolts would have been too close to the PV sheet if I put the hinge so the glass sides would fold toward each other. A different hinge might do the trick to move the bolts away from the PV sheet.
What I do like about where I have the hinge is that I can coil the cables inside the panel and then close it up.
Hey, COBlue, do you have any pics? I would love to see your piano hinges mounted.

Back
Top Bottom