Repainting the Alaskan emblem, what paint?

PackRat

I see a notation that some of the antlered "Alaskan" emblems are metal and some are plastic. I would not want to use a paint that dissolved the plastic so can anyone tell me what KIND of paint and the color names for the red and green?

I would either go to Home Depot and get a couple "samples" or maybe go get some Testor's model paint at the hobby shop.

What have you guys used?

Testors works great......white, gold or brown, green and red
Fine brush....not after coffee
You'll have to clean them up and refresh after about 5 years or so depending on the amount of UV exposure
Take your time.....
I did the antlers gold just because....

I bought bright red nail polish then changed my mind.
Decided to go with the rustic look.

I used exterior spray paint for mine. After I sprayed the white base coat, I sprayed the colors into a small cup (messy) and brushed the color on the raised parts with a fine tipped brush. Slow and steady! Auto touch up paint would probably work, too.

Attachments

• Alaskan Emblem.JPG
    Alaskan Emblem.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 174
Thanks, gents....

Shall we say Forest Green, Fire Engine Red and whatever Gold is available? Testors came to mind as it is used on model cars, planes, ships, etc.

I figured nail polish would possible soften the plastic.

Might want to check with Brian to see if it is an early vs. late design or an owner "upgrade" but they sure look sweet!

Alaskan Emblem.jpg

Alaskan Logo.jpg

Rusty....would that be "Bullwinkle"? Known by Boris & Natasha simply as "Moose and Squirrel"?

The rear ALASKAN emblem on my new-to-me '76 8 Ft CO still has some gold paint showing on the antlers....either that or its the strangest faded yellowish...BROWN I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom