Repair/Replace/Rewire Ranger II

erod

hey all, well a few parts on the ole' fwc are needing replacement or repair. my vent is rusting out a bit, appears to be merely cosmetic but would like to at least get a new coat of paint on there...ideas on type/brand etc? my "door jam" (?) is busted and i found a bunch at home depot but none fit...is this a fwc specific unit? i could drill some new holes and make a new one work but thought i would inquire before i do any drilling. i also need a new light, mines busted, just the outside but i am worried that over time moisture, dirt, etc. will get in there and cause some issues. i have seen people replace these on the forum...thought/opinions/ideas? lastly i included 2 pics of my current wiring. pretty ghetto. the front plug i connect to my battery when we stop to camp, not a big deal but i would love to hard wire this permanently into the truck and be able to disconnect it quick and easy when removing the camper. dual battery set up may be on the way! also my brake/turn reverse light are all connected via trailer light, not the greatest connection and i can't tow with the camper (legally) any thoughts on how to clean this up...i know this isn't an issue with many of the camper styles (i think only the ranger II). electrical work is not a strong point of mine so feel free to throw any ideas you guys think of right back at me. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMGP1387.jpg
    IMGP1387.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMGP1386.jpg
    IMGP1386.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMGP1382.jpg
    IMGP1382.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMGP1383.jpg
    IMGP1383.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMGP1384.jpg
    IMGP1384.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 306
Vent lid-- PPL

They are actually right down the road in Houston, and I've been there for stuff a couple times. Seem like good people to trade with.

In terms of the wiring, why not break into the harness back near the cab (like I did) and parallel off the wires you want to connect to the camper? I'm not *certain* but you should be able to drive two bulbs, e.g. left turn signal on camper, left turn signal on trailer, at once. Just try to avoid festooning your rig with Christmas lights and running them off the trailer plug!

Hey my jam looks exactly the same. I also need to find a new one.

The light and vent cap are pretty standard from a RV shop. You can buy just the covers.

I just wired in an deep cycle battery 3 days on my Hawk, but I already had a harness from the battery to the back.

Good luck.

Looking good man. You don't have too much work ahead of you.

I haven't done it yet but might try one of these anderson connectors out for camper to truck connection. I need to do some more research first.

and_con1.gif

You can get them in any current rating you need.

That anderson connector looks nice. I have the 2 prong marineco from my truck to the camper and end up taping it just to make sure it doesn't come apart.

vent

The vent is a standard 14" x 14" RV vent. The light is also standard and you should be able to find it in just about any RV store. Looks like the other folks have answered your wiring question.

As to the door, I doubt you would find anything for that at a Home Depot type store. They are made for the RV industry. I have never talked to anyone who has replaces just the jam. The door is a one piece unit when we buy them and we replace them the same way, all one piece, door, jam and everything.

Erod,

For clarification, it looks like you need a new strike plate not an entire jam. At least that is what I need, I'm going to run by my RV place tomorrow.

mike, your right...let me know what you discover, i'll do the same! thanks everyone!

Erod
pm me your address just changed my lock. I got the part you need from the old one

right on bobva! pm sent. man, i love this place! cheers!

bob's the man!

this is the 7 pin 5 flat 4 flat for camper and boat towin

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 262
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 262
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 250
Erod
door part sent should be at your place monday.
Bob

one mans trash another mans tresure. But this is the first time I mailed my trash.

No luck at the RV place with the strike plate, they couldn't event find one in the catalog. They had the lights and vent covers in stock.:confused:

Ben or FWC can you guys still get those strike plates? I also need to replace the plastic slider and stop on the screen door of my '95 Hawk. Help

erod,

Since on one else has brought it up I thought I'd suggest using the factory auxiliary battery set up. I'm like you I don't do vehicle wiring unless it's plug and chug so I can't give as good a technical description of the wiring/isolator/charger setup as Stan or Ben(and I'm sure a few members) could. But the advantages are that it isolates the truck battery from the camper, charges from the truck when running or from shore power, and guarantees no draining of the truck battery.

Also if you don't have the power fan in your vent you might consider replacing the whole thing with power unit. The vent covers are now smoked plastic and let in some light when closed. I seem to remember the part being under a couple hundred and wouldn't be that hard to install (except for running the wire, unless it's pre-wired). If you do have the fan just ignore this.

DLN,

Thanks, I did read the post about using plexi. I'll probably do that. The replacement ones at the RV shop are really flimsy. They even warned me not to buy it:D

Erod,
They white cover vent are dirt cheap if that is what you want to stick with.

door parts

No luck at the RV place with the strike plate, they couldn't event find one in the catalog. They had the lights and vent covers in stock.:confused:

Ben or FWC can you guys still get those strike plates? I also need to replace the plastic slider and stop on the screen door of my '95 Hawk. Help

Can you send me a picture of the strike plate? I might be able to come up with one if I know which one you need. We now carry the clear slider for the screen door. Not sure what you mean by the stop though. Again, a pic would help. Or just give me a call and maybe you can explain it to me.

Back
Top Bottom