More pics:

Installed view2:
attachicon.gif
installed2 - DSC_13830032.JPG

Installed view3:
attachicon.gif
installed3 - DSC_13820031.JPG

Back vent view...I still need to put a flare plug on the propane line so I
can use my furnace/stove/water heater again.
attachicon.gif
installed back - DSC_13880037.JPG
Hi there leadsled9 - It's been awhile since you installed the Waeco...how's it been running? We're thinking of doing something similar in our '05 FWC Hawk. Also...where did you end up buying your fridge? We couldn't find anywhere online...

jardinero said:
Hi there leadsled9 - It's been awhile since you installed the Waeco...how's it been running? We're thinking of doing something similar in our '05 FWC Hawk. Also...where did you end up buying your fridge? We couldn't find anywhere online...
I believe Dometic has purchased Waeco and rebranded the units. I got a Waeco CR 1065 off the internet for about $300 less than I could find anywhere else. Working great for me (2 years), love having ice cream when camping. I build out a shell and considered not having any vents out side. I talked with Stan at FWC and he said I need at least the top vent. Said they build one unit without any vents outside and it did not work well. I installed only a top vent with a PC fan in it and have 100w solar on the roof and a solar in a bag 120w if I stay in one spot for a while. I will be adding another 100w to the roof just waiting to see if there is any Black Friday sales.

Been off the grid for 6 weeks. Just returned from Colorado trip.

Very timely questions......upon return I found out my fridge had died. I liked it so well.....I'm replacing it with the same model.

It lasted 4 years. In all fairness I beat the hell out of my truck...so things are bound to fail. At least it waited unitl my return trip to die.

Update.

Well, it turns out that the refrigerator is fine.

The problem was the 12v connection failing.

I originally used the 12 volt source that was hooked up to my original 3-way refrigerator. The connection was slowly deteriating and not providing full battery power to the refrigerator. I installed a dedicated refrigerator power source directly off of the camper batteries and now everything is working fine.

Hi all - keeping this thread alive... I ended up purchasing a black Dometic CR-1110 from West Marine here in Santa Cruz. Ordered online and free delivery to the store... $1,087 w/tax. The install was tight but relatively straightforward, but needed to remove the door and frame as described by leadsled9. I was also able to leave the stock Reflectix in the camper fridge plywood box, but removed some of the flashing that was installed at the factory to allow better air flow behind the new fridge. I installed some additional Reflectix on the back of the fridge, and used a small piece as flashing on the bottom vent, since it seemed a small amount of rain splatter was getting in there.

I was planning on a big upgrade to the solar/battery system, but I've been running the fridge on the stock 54W solar/55ah battery for a couple weeks now just fine. The new fridge is maintaining temps in the 35-40F range, with outside temps ranging from 45-75F. Summer may be another story...

jardinero said:
I was planning on a big upgrade to the solar/battery system, but I've been running the fridge on the stock 54W solar/55ah battery for a couple weeks now just fine.
I have the same frig and I find my 100w solar suitcase is all that is needed with my dual battery factory system. A ten day hunting trip with low sun, mixed sun and clouds, snow and temps ranging from 20 to 65F and all was well. Furnace use was minimal (less than a 1/2 hour per day), also I don't recall the frig ever running during the night.

SunMan said:
Pretty spiffy, first SS model I've seen before.
That is a really nice looking fridge. Hmm, maybe FWC should offer the stainless.

Back
Top Bottom