Replacing BlueSea relay with Renogy DC-DC charger

57Pan

I haven’t been satisfied with how my house battery charges from my truck using a BlueSea SI-ACR charging relay, so I’m going to try a Renogy DCC30S dual input dc-dc charger. This will allow future expansion for solar. Does anyone have any experience with the Renogy device? I do have 1 on order so it should arrive soon.

I have the Renogy 20A DC-DC single function (no solar), and It's been working very well for about a year; it gets only light use since my solar (separate CC) covers most of my charging. Initial problems for me turned out to be my truck's factory wiring which was not adequate for this device; follow the manual's recommendations for wire gauge and fusing. After I replaced it with all 8g from engine to bumper all was good.

You might want to check https://diysolarforum.com for several threads on the DCC30S dual input, some good and some bad findings, and some tips on installation and use.

I have the 50A version installed in my Grandby. The charging function works well, the only issue I have had with it is the Bluetooth adapter for remote control and monitoring. I have a Lithium battery in my camper so I needed the Bluetooth to configure the charging parameters. Once that was done it has been solid.

Louis

Hello Pan57

In the process of installing one and a 100ah BB battery. Solar side done need to run new cable from truck alternator back to dc-dc charger. Our iota 12 volt power supply and charger will not meet the needs of the lithium battery. Need to ask renogy if isolating the battery from the circuit and plugging into 120V would or could damage the dc-dc charge controller. The iota is good to function as a power source according to them(iota). My thought is the solar 250 watts and truck alternator will be enough. Our load items are refrigerator, fans, led lights, and usb devices. We’re excited to see how it all comes together. Good luck with your project.
Russ

Do you have the new smart alternator style or a conventional charging system?
A while back a member had charging issue and I think the Toyota truck alternator wouldn’t provide enough power even after driving all day.

Received my Renogy DCC30S dual input charger. Installed it in my camper today and it is working as I expected it to. So far just using it as a dc to dc charger, I don’t have any solar at this time. I have an 05 Tacoma and with just a battery isolator I didn’t feel like my house battery was getting a proper charge.

57Pan, I am curious what size charge and ground wire was used for the Blue Sea System part's install.

I have #6 gauge wire running from my engine compartment back to the camper. No ignition wire necessary for my system.

astropuppy, assuming that "Ignition wire" is the same as the signal wire that the Renogy devices require to turn on, I just used a splice from incoming hot to the DC-DC. I can do that since I already have an isolator installed up front at the engine, and a cutoff switch inline on that signal wire.

Back
Top Bottom