Replacing factory fridge with....

Advmoto18

I've been contemplating this mod for some time.

One of the biggest users of stored energy in the batteries is running the fridge compressor after opening the factory-installed, side load fridge door. Opening such a door allows the majority of cold air to tumble out onto the camper floor.

As such, I want to install a top load fridge/freezer. Space is tight and I haven't thought of a good scheme modifying the space where the factory fridge is located for a top load installation.

As anyone gone this route?

I've been doing a lot of head scratching trying to figure out how to install a National Luna 50L Weekender in the space without doing a complete remodel of that section in the camper.

Thanks for any ideas!

Bill

I really want to rebuild the passenger side of my fleet. Shorten up the side cabinets to where the propane box is, and then that would give me enough space to put a 50L fridge on a slide in there. but im far too lazy and i know it will look like crap compared to the rest of the cabinetry.

Here's a pic of the Truckfridge I installed in my Hawk. After pulling out the OEM 3 way, I made a pull out slider for it to sit on. I strap it down in the front just to keep it from jumping out on rough roads. A simple latch locks the slider in place. The fridge is wrapped in reflectix ( tips from WTW forums) to give a bit more insulation. I went on a couple of trips before adding the face frame and drawer to figure out what clearances I needed to access the top of the fridge. I left a lot of side clearance to allow for adequate ventilation.
It's not as pretty as with the 3 way fridge but I really like the functionality, plus I gained a large drawer. The only negative I've found is that when off road dust comes in through the louvres of the outside access door. Maybe some of you out there have done this mod and came up with a solution to minimize the dust?? It's not a big problem, more of a nuisance. Suggestions welcome!!

Attachments

• fridge - 1.jpg
    fridge - 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 381
Hi Ronin
I like your setup. We put our Engle in the same spot, never had a fridge. I notice the reflextix, could you spray glue some to the inside of the vents. Just a thought.
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hi Ronin
I like your setup. We put our Engle in the same spot, never had a fridge. I notice the reflextix, could you spray glue some to the inside of the vents. Just a thought.
Russ
I'll look at it and give it some thought. I wanted to have as much air space as possible to keep the fridge running as cool as possible. The original 3 way was completely blocked off in the front so maybe I don't need as much air space as I think. I could probably block off the louvres in the cooler months. Wouldn't it be cool to have louvres that I could close - hmmm?? Thanks for the suggestion!
Incidentally, my original thought was to seal the front off as much as possible to minimize hearing the fridge at night that some folks found annoying. That hasn't been an issue for me with the Truckfridge and I'm a fairly light sleeper.

This is a topic of interest for me. I currently have the Dometic 80L, 2 way and seems to work well, except for the 5 amps it needs to keep it cool. Never heard of the National Luna and appears to be a good one. Those that have mounted theirs on a slider, can you suggest what you used for the slider hardware. I would imagine, it has to be robust enough to handle the weight of the frig + content.

Also, those that have made the conversion to this top load, did you find the smaller capacity equate to more efficient use of space, resulting in not having to have the equivalent volume capacity?

Thanks.

Ronin, just a thought, maybe you could install a A/C filter where the louvers are to cut down on trail dust etc. from getting in and still have enough air flow to vent the fridge. Easy enough to try just duct tape in place.

Nice install Ronin!

Nice Rilcombs!

Thanks for sharing!

National Luna has the highest review comments from the folks at Overland Journal.

I think the louvers in the side of my Hawk can be sealed up if I replace the 2 way 110V fridge with a 12V National Luna.

The National Luna unit I have in mind. They are from Australia. Note that the ampereage draw is half of the Dometic. And most importantly, you don't lose all of your cold air when you open the lid! In reality, Dometic is an RV type fridge, the National Luna is for the Outback.

Beach said:
Ronin, just a thought, maybe you could install a A/C filter where the louvers are to cut down on trail dust etc. from getting in and still have enough air flow to vent the fridge. Easy enough to try just duct tape in place.
Great idea - thanks!!

photohc said:
This is a topic of interest for me. I currently have the Dometic 80L, 2 way and seems to work well, except for the 5 amps it needs to keep it cool. Never heard of the National Luna and appears to be a good one. Those that have mounted theirs on a slider, can you suggest what you used for the slider hardware. I would imagine, it has to be robust enough to handle the weight of the frig + content.

Also, those that have made the conversion to this top load, did you find the smaller capacity equate to more efficient use of space, resulting in not having to have the equivalent volume capacity?

Thanks.
I used full extension ball bearing drawer sliders from Home Depot. I'll be on the road for 10 days so I'll try to remember to take some pics when I get back. Some top load fridge manufacturers have a slider made specifically for their unit, making it pretty simple to install. Truckfridge has one but it cost $199.00 so I spent about $20.00 for some hardware and just used scraps pieces of plywood and 1x's that always seem to be around my shop. My TF51 is plenty big enough for 4-5 days of food for me and the Mrs. We don't drink much so we only load a sixer and a couple of other beverages. Although the OEM 3 way was larger (60L ??) I never feel like I should have gone with a larger top loader.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-22-in-Full-Extension-Ball-Bearing-Side-Mount-Drawer-Slide-1-Pair-D80622C-ZP-W/202200646

Hey, found a pic that pretty much shows the drawer sliders.

Attachments

• fridge1 - 1.jpg
    fridge1 - 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 229
Nice Ronin!

Whatever scheme I use, I hope I can access the top loading fridge with the camper roof down and secured. It would be a major inconvenience if unable to do so. But, the offset in stored energy saved will out weigh the inconvenience.

I pulled my Dometic and replaced it with the ARB we used before we got the camper. I love it so much more than the Dometic and just sips the power. I ended up putting the counter on stay open hinges so when the top is popped its easy to access the fridge. This setup even allows for me to store our Snowpeak Fireplace/Grill next to the fridge. I could put it on slides but I am able to get in and out of the fridge with the top down without the slides so I doubt I will add them.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28306]

Don - I have a 37qt but a 50qt would fit just as well due to the 37 and 50 being the same dimensions except for height. The 50 would probably work best with a slide added though. I am running this setup in a Fleet. The ARB was a downsize compared to my Dometic but I have not noticed any difference in the amount of food we can take. I think part of that is because you can pack a top loader to the brim and don't have to worry about stuff falling out when you open it up. Another thing I want to mention is I can go about 3-4 days with this setup without charging via alternator or solar where I was lucky to be able to go a 24 hour period before. I am running 2 aux batteries (1 under hood and 1 in camper) that give me about 180 amps total and the fridge is usually our only consumption except for the water pump here and there and heater fan if it's colder.

thanks badtoytrd

Even when plugged into shore power at home, I often can't get my fridge down to safe temperatures during some of our blazing hot So Cal weather

badtoytrd said:
Don - I have a 37qt but a 50qt would fit just as well due to the 37 and 50 being the same dimensions except for height. The 50 would probably work best with a slide added though. I am running this setup in a Fleet. The ARB was a downsize compared to my Dometic but I have not noticed any difference in the amount of food we can take. I think part of that is because you can pack a top loader to the brim and don't have to worry about stuff falling out when you open it up. Another thing I want to mention is I can go about 3-4 days with this setup without charging via alternator or solar where I was lucky to be able to go a 24 hour period before. I am running 2 aux batteries (1 under hood and 1 in camper) that give me about 180 amps total and the fridge is usually our only consumption except for the water pump here and there and heater fan if it's colder.
is this in a fleet camper? side or front dinete? or a shell

i have a fleet front dinette, and hate the fridge

Broverlanding - I wish I had a front dinette but my Fleet is a roll over couch version. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do something like this with you dinette version though. I hated the fridge too but I had the older Dometic setup. I really thought I would want a 50 qt but we've been able to make the 37 work. It was a "free" mod for me b/c I already had the ARB fridge.

My experience is that the newer Indel/Webasto Isotherm 60L fridge uses about the same amount of power as my last ARB/NL/etc top loading fridge (1 - 1.5 A average under 'normal conditions'). So if you have the newer fridge in your camper you won't gain much from the switch. In my opinion anyway, my new front loader is much more convenient to use compared to the ARB I had in my previous camper as you don't have to dig through your food and it is easy to access from outside with the top up or down.

Back
Top Bottom