Replacing the factory back up camera that was on your tailgate

smlobx

Lost again
Since I bought my new Super Duty I have really come to enjoy the factory back up camera. The problem is that it is mounted on the tailgate so when I remove the tailgate I loose that feature. With the camper on I need it more than ever so I have been on the lookout for an acceptable substitute and I think I've found one thanks to a friend....

https://camera-source.com/ford-truck-salt-spreader-camper-camera-kit-1776.html

The problem with newer Fords (and I'm assuming other brands as well) is the proprietary plug they use. The company above uses a camera with the factory plug so it is literally plug and play.
I noticed they have other trucks listed as well so I thought would pass it along...

I just finished installing a camera on my 2016 F150.

I purchased the OEM wiring loom and camera directly from Ford and it was cheaper that this. The wiring loom does have some extra plugs but I covered those with waterproof tape from 3M.

Haven't best out driving to test it yet but it works although it seems to not have the colored distance lines. That might be a setting somewhere.

Timothy McGowen said:
I just finished installing a camera on my 2016 F150.

I purchased the OEM wiring loom and camera directly from Ford and it was cheaper that this. The wiring loom does have some extra plugs but I covered those with waterproof tape from 3M.

Haven't best out driving to test it yet but it works although it seems to not have the colored distance lines. That might be a setting somewhere.
I did the same for my '14 F350.

I did this on my RAM. Look on ebay, etc. and find a harness. Mine works just like the original. I did have to mount my camera lower so that's an issue for the angle (which I fixed) and not optimal. I mounted my camera in the platform I made to put my Eagle on the full size Ram.

I plan to use this same camera . I would like to mount it above the door so a hitch mount from Wilco won't block the view. Are you mounting this to the license plate frame ? I think it comes with 2 different brackets, one universal and another for the license plate.

Thanks
Rock

Rockcod said:
I plan to use this same camera . I would like to mount it above the door so a hitch mount from Wilco won't block the view. Are you mounting this to the license plate frame ? I think it comes with 2 different brackets, one universal and another for the license plate.

Thanks
Rock
If you mount it up there, how will you get the wiring to the cab? That would be a better place than where I mounted mine but I didn't want to drill any more holes in my camper. I do get some interference from my rack when it's loaded up with jerry cans but I rarely use them.

Since I already have the Ford tailgate emblem camera, I hope to mount it in the space created by the F150's taller box, which translates to 3 inches above the camper door. The C-S camera has 6 feet of cable. Then use a self adhesive split raceway used for data cable, like Wiremould C10 or anything I can find, like a split plastic wire loom surface mounted tucked next to the door frame. I have tried to reach Camera -Source today to see what the most distortion free elevation they recommend for this camera would be. There just busy today it seems and 3 or 4 feet shouldn't throw it off to much. I really like my oem back up camera, a complete turn around from when I first said, Nah, I wont use it...I will have ATC put a small attachment point in the frame. I think I can secure it well enough and using a white raceway keep it from looking to after marketish...Too bad the connector isn't small enough to fish in the wall. Maybe I can run the wires inside and punch it into the bed area. I'm determined to do something, right or wrong ...

Attachments

• IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 156
The Camera Source camera works perfectly on my 2014 Tundra. I use the included license plate frame bracket and the wiring just plugs in to the factory harness. I thought that I was going to have to re-attach the factory camera every time I put the tailgate back on, but found that it wasn't necessary. Don't know if they make one for 2015, but they have real live people there that are very helpful!!

I built a mount that is under the rear platform on our Northern Lite. My Ford dealer found the camera less badge. I just installed it this morning, and it even worked, just don't make assumptions about orientation. I mounted the camera with the text on the label facing up... and much to my surprise, the world is laying on its side. 90° out :(

Planning on using the camerasource third brake light/camera combo on my bobcat. 2016 Chevy Colorado. Looks like I can mount it at the top of the door and have a nice little unit that displays on my dash screen plus I dont lose the third brake light.

Back
Top Bottom