replacing the sensor

terrisjoy

Last January my sensor went out in the middle of the night! It was 20 degrees out, I was settled in for the evening, warm and sound a sleep when my sensor alarm started going off... After a couple of nightmare hours of getting up and down trying to fix it, I pulled the fuse on it and climbed back into a very, cold bed! The next morning I talked with FWC, they told me it sounded like the sensor needed to be replaced. I'm planning a winter trip to Bishop and the eastern sierra in a few weeks and was reminded a few days ago about that broken sensor.. Has anyone replaced one? I could drive down to FWC in Riverside before going on the trip, but if it's a fairly simple thing maybe I could handle it myself. Help!!!! Terri

terri,
I had to move the sensor in our camper when I added the corner cabinet, 2 screws and 2 wires, you should be able to do it yourself without any trouble. Best of Luck.

I had one of my sensors doing the same thing. I had read on another forum (RV.Net) that if you remove the fuse for a day or two then reinstall it this will solve the problem. I tried it and it worked. I don't know why it worked but I haven't had any problems since. Good luck and let us know what you did to correct the problem.

Cheers,

Mike

That sounds pretty simple. I'm trying to remember what I did with that stupid fuse, I was so frustrated that night, and really tired and cold. God, I could have thrown it out. That would have been kinda stupid. Is that a standard type of fuse? I bet the auto parts store has one. Thanks, Terri

Thanks, I'm going to put a new fuse in it and if that doesn't fix it I will attempt pretending I know what I'm doing , 2 wires and 2 screws , sounds simple enough....I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, Terri

It is a standard type of fuse you can buy at any auto parts store. You should have some spares in your glove compartment anyway.

Terri...
the detectors are very sensitive to organic vapors... and can go south if contaminated... or just plain "wear out". If you need help hooking it back up, call the service dept. at either Woodland or Riverside... they help walk you through it.
tom

Tom, thank you so much for your response. You mentioned organic vapors. I work alot with healing herbs, lavender and other essential oils. Maybe thats what made my sensor go nuts? My hawk is a '05, whats the average life span for those sensors? Thanks for the concern...Terri

despite the warranty, they can last for a long time - years - or a short time. I think it has to do with the creature itself, meaning electronics and the sensing device, or the environment it is exposed to.

A very oily vapor could coat the sensor - about the size of a pinhead - and compromise it, but I think this is fairly rare. Use of "organics", as you mention, should have little effect.

Seeing as how you have an '05, it could just have departed this incarnation, and you need a replacement. Check in with either service dept. - they will be happy to help.

tom

Tom, thanks so much for your reply. Since I'm not too wire friendly it would be a good idea to drive down to Riverside before my trip. I actually had called FWC last winter after the sensor had gone out and they were very helpful as always. I was just trying to save me a trip to a driving trip to Riverside. Thanks again, Terri

Back
Top Bottom