Replacing torn metal siding on FWC camper

Land_goose

Today leaving a disperse camping site my jacks got caught up in a mess of trees, not knowing this I stepped on the gas and torn, around where my jack was bolted on roughly. And then busted the seem going up it. Knowing I had to get out of there, I tore the rest off so it wouldn't fall off when driving.

My questions are

Has anyone replaced their siding before?
How hard was it? what materials/tool did you use?
What that the process, how did you replace it.

And how screwed am I? because I feel like I really messed up.

I do live in this full time FYI, I do have a place to do the work hopefully. And I will be more careful when I choose my campsites now

Attachments

• PXL_20210529_192120239.jpg
    PXL_20210529_192120239.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 267
  • PXL_20210529_192124055.jpg
    PXL_20210529_192124055.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 256
  • PXL_20210529_192135087.jpg
    PXL_20210529_192135087.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 201
When I had my 2014 Hawk installed, I was advised by the factory installer to remove the jacks when I got home because a parking lot collision with a jack or catching a boulder with a jack was likely a $2000 repair to the damaged corner.

I would suggest you contact FWC for an inspection/evaluation of the damage. It may be that yours is not too bad but there could be structural damage that you wouldn't think to look for. As I understand it, older campers may not have complete welds at each aluminum connection. A phone call is cheap.

Paul

My guess, it is way more than just the siding. You probably have extensive frame damage at that jack. Always better leaving the jacks at home. Sorry that happened. Contact FWC and or your dealer. Good luck.

Welcome to the site sorry your first post is a problem one.

That does look serious.Yes a quick call/e mail to FWC/Stan will get you more info.
I had a jack tear out on a 70's hardside.A car backing out of a parking space caught the jack.
I learned a great lesson.Don't leave the jacks on or at least raise the rear ones up higher.

My fix was easy as only the screws tore out.I replaced the brackets with a different mod
and used carriage bolts to reattach them.
Frank

Adding your location to your post or profile might help us out, if you're on the east coast sending you to FWC isn't really an option :)

Franks old hard side camper probably had wooden framing, pretty easy to relocate mounting bolts. Yours are 1" aluminum tubes, a bit more tricky. Like others eluded to, you may have damaged your frame. If the corner members are still welded, the rest is repairable. Otherwise you'll need a good aluminum welder and quite a bit more disassembly. PokeyBros build comes to mind for this process.

My jack brackets appeared to have been forcibly removed a few times, at least partly, the previous owner admitted backing issues when loading the camper. The lag bolts holding the brackets in place were many different sizes and lengths, and I had leakage problems in those corners. My repair is detailed here.

After the frame repair, siding is pretty easy. Again, depending on your location you might be able to find similar siding or it can be obtained from FWC, even ATC. Basically you start at the top and work your way down using an air stapler to secure it.

Back
Top Bottom