Replacment Thermostat

GPAY

Advanced Member
Hi all,
My thermostats lowest setting is 45 degrees. I recently camped in 15 degree temps and the heater kicked on and off a lot. I would be okay sleeping colder. Is it possible for me to just swap out the original thermostat with one that will let me set it for 30 or 35 degrees?
Thanks

I have one sitting in front of me right now that is awaiting install after I get several more mods finished first.
ICM Controls
FS1500VL
Garage thermostat
35-75 deg F
Battery operated
Backlit LCD display
Got the link on this forum, probably in one of Ski3pin's links.

I bought and replaced the same one Stalking Light used after hearing their reviews on it. Great advice from him and others in that other thread.

It seems to work much better than the factory one.

Easy change out and inexpensive to do - like $30.

I just bought the Honeywell that Stalking Light installed. Before I begin, I just wanted to know if there is anything tricky about the install--jumper wires, color coding confusion with wires...or is it, for example, connect red to red, white to white, etc.
I am thermostat challenged, so any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

dasadab said:
I just bought the Honeywell that Stalking Light installed. Before I begin, I just wanted to know if there is anything tricky about the install--jumper wires, color coding confusion with wires...or is it, for example, connect red to red, white to white, etc.

I am thermostat challenged, so any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I just-now ordered the same Honeywell TH1100DV1000 -- 23 bucks from the big A in the sky. I checked the Honeywell page to confirm that it can set as low as 35F -- which it can in "garage selection" (the retail description only mentions "standard selection of 40 to 90F").
And I read the installation guide to figure out how to select "garage".

Now I looked at my current/OEM mechanical thermostat, and both wires are blue. And the posts to which they connect on the thermostat are unlabeled.
Thermostat-1.jpg

So...I guess I deduce which-wire-is-which by the function of the components to which they're connected....?
My guess is the upper post is "Power" and the lower post is "Heat Relay", to match the labeling in the Honeywell installation guide (pic below). I guess I could put a voltmeter on the wires and positive volts = "power"...
Honeywell-thermostat-1.jpg
Either that or it doesn't matter...? I bet it doesn't matter in a simple mechanical system like the OEM thermostat -- the current could flow in either direction and it would be fine...so maybe that's why the wires weren't color-coded.

Thanks for this string... I've been meaning to do this... so bingo ordered. The mechanical one was a bit archaic.

hebegebe said:
How exactly do you select "garage" mode.
Here are the instructions I'll follow when I get mine:

Pages 6 and 7 of the Installation Guide describe how to customize settings. "Setup function 25" covers the temperature range, and we want "Setting 1" to choose the lower/garage range.

Whoops...looks like Mr. 3pin beat me to it. ;)

Ok great thanks fellas, I bought two last year and misplaced the instructions Not using that option in the house but want it in the camper

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

MarkBC said:
Now I looked at my current/OEM mechanical thermostat, and both wires are blue. And the posts to which they connect on the thermostat are unlabeled.
attachicon.gif
Thermostat-1.jpg
I just installed my TH1100DV1000 and when removing the factory Atwood thermostat both wires were also blue however molded into the factory Atwood thermostat at the terminals hidden under the blue wires were an R and a W that I was able to make out with my cheaters on.

The bigger problem for me is that there was barely enough room between the underside of the counter and the top of the cabinet trim where the electrical panel is to fit the Honeywell in, I had to remount it once because I hadn't left enough room to be able to get it to snap onto the base.

Well shoot. Got my thermostat and realized it is 4.5" long and the space between the counter top and the water/battery idiot light panel is 4" ! Guess I'll have to make a mount to step it out or relocate. I have the 2011 Eagle.

PaulT said:
+1, And it's easier to read while in bed. ;)

Paul
Not sure my old eyes can read that far at night anyways

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

snarf... I dd actually turn it as I held it up and thought heck my wife will think it's because I was having an "extra" beer.... now what is "extra"?... Probably will do that and hack the screen to reorient the diodes!

Back
Top Bottom