Retirement: First-Trip Report

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Starting April 1 I'll have all the time I want to Wander the West -- for at least 6 months, maybe forever.
I told the big boss (President/CEO) that I'm ready to retire (after 32 years at this company -- the one and only job I've had since college), and he suggested I try a 6-month leave of absence to see if I really want to be gone or not.
OK
smile.gif

Too bad gas prices are up and rising -- wandering every day in my truck would be very expensive...but whatever I do I bet it'll beat workin'.
biggrin.gif

Remember to use your new found powers wisely and for good. For you are now a role model for the rest of us!!

Yes...I thought I'd spend most of my time in Calcutta, giving aid to lepers.
wink.gif

...or if not that, I intend to at least not squander too much time in front of the TV -- or computer.

A bad day camping beats a good day at work anytime. Before I retired I thought I would hang out for awhile then maybe get a summer job with the Forest Service. Ha! I ended up with eye trouble, I just can't see myself working anymore. Being retired has ruined me as a productive member of society.

mike

Or you could sell campers.

If I need extra cash, I was thinking more along the lines of photography, pies, computer-assistance...and some people at work tell me I'm funny, so maybe stand-up comedy. Yeah, that sounds like a good basis for financial security.
tongue.gif

Maybe they didn't mean funny in a comedy sort of way :unsure:

Well, I think they meant in addition to those other sorts of "funny" -- which are a given for anyone who knows me.

MarkBC, this is exciting news, a retirement training period! Keep us posted and we're expecting detailed reports and more of your great photos. Best of luck!

Before I made this big decision I was kinda/semi-planning on a trip to south/eastern Utah (probably my favorite area PERIOD) in late April. And since it's a long drive (from Bend, OR) and costs for gasoline an amount that would buy RT airfare to Europe I hoped I could make it a 2-week trip. But now I'm not even limited to two weeks.
smile.gif

Really, the only limit on my time away from home is my kitty-cat who gets very lonely when I'm away. I am seriously thinking of trying to convince her that travel in my truck/camper is safe and enjoyable -- or at least tolerable -- and preferable to being home alone. Last year somebody posted photos of camping-with-cats and that it works out well for them -- who was that?

Besides luck...factors that made this possible:
  • No kids, so no kid-expenses, and especially no kid-college expenses
  • I've lived in the same house for 25 years, and I bought it on a 15-yr mortgage, so no mortgage
  • Mostly-frugal lifestyle...not by budget or planning or discipline, it's just the way I am
  • Good job, same job for 32 years (longer than some of you have been alive
    rolleyes.gif
    ...you young whippersnappers), and I've made maximum contributions to 401(k) for over 25 years, and other savings
Most of this was by choice, but for sure there were random factors that made things turn out for me better than worse at times (but not ALL the time...I'm not going to go into those "worse" times here
dry.gif
)

Hang in there -- one day you'll be old, too!...if you're lucky
cool.gif

Before I made this big decision I was kinda/semi-planning on a trip to south/eastern Utah (probably my favorite area PERIOD) in late April.

Hey, Mark, I plan to be in SAZ in late April and then NAZ & SUT in early May. Maybe we should try to cross paths out there.

Stew

Last year somebody posted photos of camping-with-cats and that it works out well for them -- who was that?

leshiker?

Back
Top Bottom