Retirement: First-Trip Report

Completely cool, Mark. I hadn't previously been aware of the "testing" aspect of your retirement.

I'd say you're off to a great start. I've always believed one should be more focused on retiring TO something than on retiring FROM something, as such is the best pathway to good physical and mental health in the later years.

Congrats on finishing Year One of your next 32 year career.

Foy

I've always believed one should be more focused on retiring TO something than on retiring FROM something, as such is the best pathway to good physical and mental health in the later years.

Well...actually, I did retire "from something" as much or more as "to something".
I didn't like my job anymore, much of the time (not because I had changed but because the situation at work had changed), and was getting more miserable as time went on. If retirement wasn't financially feasible I would have stuck it out -- more misery in order to get more money..
dry.gif
..but when I analyzed my financial situation and discovered that I could afford to not be miserable anymore I decided to stop it. And, sure enough, I'm not miserable anymore. :)
But, of course, I have no shortage of things to do in retirement -- lots of camping, so far. I've spent more than 3 months of the last 12 out camping.
But what I don't have to do can be as important as what I can do. For me, anyway. :)

Mark

Right on-there is that feeling of "not having" to do something, instead of "having to" do something-even such small things as not having to shave in the morning or get up at 0500 to take a shower every morning-but it can get out of hand like not cleaning house or mowing the lawn on weekends because it is so easy to say, "I'll do it later" because you can. That time not working is yours to do what you want with now and weekends and holidays sort of blend in. I think the best example of the difference is when you are working and see a an interesting historical or interesting sign on the side of the road you drive on by, 'cause you don't have the time to stop and investigate, when you are retired, you stop and smell the roses-sort of a great feeling of choice, of doing what you want, when you want, because you want.:) I had a great job, but was forced to retire earlier than I wanted because of political and personal reasons-almost feel sometimes as if I failed because I didn't stay and fight the "new my way or the highway" mentality and political suck ass "yes men/women that started to take over-one reason I stayed in the field instead of moving up the chain of command, was to avoid that crap-well it sunk down to my level (never really happened this much before) and lots of us left then , retired early etc because of it! Enough of this, can't "unspill" a cup of coffee after you spill it, just adapt and learn to smell the roses, while you can!

Smoke

there is that feeling of "not having" to do something...but it can get out of hand like not cleaning house or mowing the lawn on weekends because it is so easy to say, "I'll do it later" because you can.
No problem there for me -- I've been a slob and a procrastinator for most of my adult life (living alone I've been able to get away with that lifestyle), and retirement hasn't changed that one way or the other.
biggrin.gif

I had a great job, but was forced to retire earlier than I wanted because of political and personal reasons-almost feel sometimes as if I failed because I didn't stay and fight the "new my way or the highway" mentality and political suck ass "yes men/women that started to take over-one reason I stayed in the field instead of moving up the chain of command, was to avoid that crap-well it sunk down to my level (never really happened this much before)

I had a boss years ago who decided he didn't want to put up with Senior Management anymore and was going out on his own (which he did -- successfully). He told me, "I don't live to work, I work to live". Right on, brother!

Ever see the movie, "Reds"? It's one of my very favorite (even though I'm no "Red"
wink.gif
. It got 12 Academy Award nominations and won 3 of those awards). In one scene, Louise Bryant is lecturing Eugene O'Neill about the struggle of the American working man against capitalist oppression (or something like that), and O'Neill (that cynical bastard!) says, "The American working man wants nothing more than to become rich enough that he doesn't have to work."
Well, that's all I've ever wanted!
biggrin.gif

(Of course, there are lots of people -- especially in Central Oregon -- who'd be happy to get any paying job right now, no matter how miserable.
sad.gif
)

Interesting reading, guys...glad you are able to make this retirement thing yer full-time occupation, Mark!

After the events of the past year...we're trying to figure out how to retire early/within the next few years even though we aren't quite yet to "retirement" age. Gotta say I'm wayyy envious of those of you out there truly experiencing life.
Right now we're just trying to get some idea of what it might look like if we lightened the load of houses/jobs/etc. and found our adventurous side again.

thanks for the peek

mtn

:LOL:
Lot's of options out there, the most important I think is whether you have a base of operations to work from and $ to do things. I know to many people who retired, sold/dumped their homes, bought an RV and went adventuring. And soon got tired of being on the road all the time-not all-as much fun as traveling and adventuring is, it's sure nice to have a place to come home and have people to say hi to you! :LOL:I think that's why you see so many retired persons are becoming camp hosts-sort of combine the best of both worlds. You don't spend as much $ on things such as food, gas, work clothes and boots and those sort of things too, I mean you don't have those work associated expenses to spend on anymore! You eat when you are hungry-not because it's breakfast or lunch time-it really makes a diff. more of your $ goes for fun and entertainment-but you just don't go-you plan ahead-still have some bills to pay and in today's world you forget to pay you electric bill-you come home to a dark house. While you can smell the flowers, you still have to smart about it. But you still need to plan or you could be in a world of hurt! Like my buying a new 50,000 F-250 or $500 rear springs for the truck-when you don't have that paycheck coming in every two weeks-every decision is important! bought the springs and hope they last until a new truck is the only option!

Smoke

...work clothes...

Work clothes -- what are those??
huh.gif

One of the very nice things about the place I worked: You're working in a technical-professional job but you can wear t-shirts and jeans to work -- shorts in the summer! :) Working in the lab people had to wear lab coats -- which made quite a strange sight when bare legs were sticking out of the bottom of the coat.
ohmy.gif
(just after I left they banned the wearing of shorts in the lab -- for safety reasons)
Actually, in Bend in general, Dockers™ are considered formal wear.
cool.gif

I'm in a similar situation to Mark and Smoke. Two years ago we started a new project under new management. I won't air dirty laundry here, but suffice it to say that when I heard who the project manager would be, I knew I would retire as soon as I was eligible. Right now, I'm getting rid of all my debt (should be debt-free next month, barring the unforeseen). I'll have to get used to living on less income, but I know how to do poor - I've been there. I'm willing to eat beans and rice to save gas money for a trip.

I have to be careful about retiring TO something, though. I told myself I would make no commitments for the first year, then found myself checking in at the local ranger station to see about volunteering. I would love to be a relief fire lookout next fire season. If I'm not careful, I'll find myself overcommited again.

Work clothes -- what are those??
huh.gif

One of the very nice things about the place I worked: You're working in a technical-professional job but you can wear t-shirts and jeans to work -- shorts in the summer! :) Working in the lab people had to wear lab coats -- which made quite a strange sight when bare legs were sticking out of the bottom of the coat.
ohmy.gif
(just after I left they banned the wearing of shorts in the lab -- for safety reasons)
Actually, in Bend in general, Dockers™ are considered formal wear.
cool.gif

Smart Alick! My final straw was when some political appointee AH, decided to try and enforce the Gov't wide, but usually BLM ignored, ban on bringing your dog to field (Upper Mgt left it up to the field mgrs to make the call)-couldn't carry a gun so everyone usually had a well trained-and friendly dog to :LOL:keep the rancher dogs, snakes, mountain lions, etc and low lives at bay-even had some of the better managers tell the new hires-especially the women-to get a dog to take out there, cause you need more than your radio and a smile to keep you safe! Problem with the world-Give some people power and it goes to their heads-just do something cause they can-

Smoke

I'm in a similar situation to Mark and Smoke. Two years ago we started a new project under new management. I won't air dirty laundry here, but suffice it to say that when I heard who the project manager would be, I knew I would retire as soon as I was eligible. Right now, I'm getting rid of all my debt (should be debt-free next month, barring the unforeseen). I'll have to get used to living on less income, but I know how to do poor - I've been there. I'm willing to eat beans and rice to save gas money for a trip.

I have to be careful about retiring TO something, though. I told myself I would make no commitments for the first year, then found myself checking in at the local ranger station to see about volunteering. I would love to be a relief fire lookout next fire season. If I'm not careful, I'll find myself overcommited again.

Highz-I tried that, my old boss-brought me in to help train my replacement-even paid me to do it (said I'd do it for free)-and I volunteered to help with things for a while. Didn't work, New Leaders on high above stepped in with new direction, changed everything, my job changed and most of the people I had worked with, started pulling the pin and getting out. To this day, except for going to Eagle Lake, I try not to go to places I worked because they don't look and feel like they should-not the new peoples fault-they have to follow the new directions and less $ from the newly minted gods above, and reinventing the wheel is a fact with most agencies/organizations-so it may go back to the good old days! Retirement is great, and life is to short to dwell on the past to much!
Smoke

found myself checking in at the local ranger station to see about volunteering. I would love to be a relief fire lookout next fire season.

That's a cool idea! I wonder if there are opportunities for this on Forests in my area? I have good eyesight and don't mind being alone....as long as I have an Internet connection.
biggrin.gif

We're in a bit different situation. The wife has an awesome job with great pay (after 26 years invested) and a great pension package....and lots of stability.

But after losing Graham...>everything< instantly changed. What was important...now...just really isn't in many ways and we are finding it very hard to care/exist/continue to do the same (American nightmare) thing we did before he passed.

Figuring out how much cash it will take is a hard proposition and it brings up many different scenarios. I don't wanna be one of the folks who retires, burns through the funds, and then has to go work at Circle K/MickieD's/be a greeter at Wal-Mart...

it's gonna take a few years to clean up loose ends/sell houses/crapola/etc.... but hopefully by the time we are 55 we will be doing >something< different.... whatever that may be.

"sha la la la lalala let's live for today...." is the new mantra here....

thanks again for sharing your experiences.........

mtn

That's a cool idea! I wonder if there are opportunities for this on Forests in my area? I have good eyesight and don't mind being alone....as long as I have an Internet connection.
biggrin.gif

People used to fight for those jobs, but we keep retiring/automating them. I think I read somewhere that you can rent one for a vacation or weekend use now. For me it was lighthouses, then they started to retire and automate them too-----then the government started deeding them over to BLM and local groups to manage as historic sites-and boy was there a rush on both paid and volunteer lighthouse managers/camp hosts positions-I even thought about transferring out of my beloved desert/mountain interface and becoming a lighthouse manager-but those jobs were almost insider type and they went fast-real fast. Boy what a job that would have been!

Smoke

I think I read somewhere that you can rent one for a vacation or weekend use now.

Smoke

The National Forests in Idaho and Montana have lookout towers among their pools of rentals available. Some of them are quite remote and their very nature would dovetail nicely with a WTW-style trip, where one you're automatically going to have water, supplies, and, ahem, a familiarity with cat-holes and their uses upon arrival. There are some online listings through a lookout tower forum I recall reading (folks will join up on just about any common interest, won't they?), and some of the NF websites I'm used to consulting show the lookouts among their rentals.

And speaking of other rentals, the so-called "work crew cabins" might be of interest to some. The ones I'm familiar with are in Montana and they make a great place to bunk out, as that's what they were designed and built for. Years ago, USFS work crews would overnight in small cabins having 4 to 6 bunks rather than ride/drive all the way back to town each evening. Nowadays, pickups take the crews home each night, and the cabins are maintained as rentals. Some are XC-ski or snowmobile-access only in winter. All come equipped with Coleman stoves, fuel, cookware, utensils, and firewood (and a woodstove). All have a hand-pump well and an outhouse. The lookouts and the work crew cabins generally rent for $15-20/night. They're easy to book during the week and they make it possible to, for example, fly to Missoula, MT with only your flyrod, waders, and clothing, rent a car/SUV, buy a big cooler, load up at the grocery store, and drive up Rock Creek Canyon to the Stony Creek cabin and enjoy a week on a blue-ribbon stream. When the trip is over, drive back to Missoula, give the cooler to the kid washing cars at the rental agency, and head home. Ask me how I know!

I can think of several work cabins in Montana which would be a perfect spot for two couples to access in a single, truck-camper-equipped vehicle, with the camper serving as the sleeping quarters for one and the cabin for another. Come to think of it, I think I'm going to book the work cabin at Twin Lakes, MT next summer!

Foy

People used to fight for those jobs, but we keep retiring/automating them. I think I read somewhere that you can rent one for a vacation or weekend use now. For me it was lighthouses, then they started to retire and automate them too-----then the government started deeding them over to BLM and local groups to manage as historic sites-and boy was there a rush on both paid and volunteer lighthouse managers/camp hosts positions-I even thought about transferring out of my beloved desert/mountain interface and becoming a lighthouse manager-but those jobs were almost insider type and they went fast-real fast. Boy what a job that would have been!

Smoke

True - not many of these jobs are left. Here in the Lincoln, only a handful of lookout towers are still staffed - just those that have a view of the urban-wildlands interface. Since the jobs are so few, that's why I was thinking of being a relief lookout volunteer - it wouldn't take a paid job away from someone. Of course, they may not need my services, but I know last year they did have an opening. I might as well let them know I'm interested.

There are several unstaffed towers here that have fallen into disrepair. Spotter planes fly over during fire season, but they (and satellites) only scan the forest a few times a day. A lot can happen on a dry windy day after the plane has passed over. IMHO there's still a place for human lookouts in the forest.

Of course, there are a lot of other volunteer possibilities with the FS. In the past, I've staffed information kiosks when the forest was closed, did a little trail building and picked up a fair bit of trash in campgrounds and along trails. I'm sure there will be a way for me to give back. Staffing a LO tower would just be the dream job.

I always wanted to try being a fire lookout. Have to know people to get those jobs though. I've rented a couple (and btw, they all have nice concrete outhouses now) but the really good ones with best views are still manned :cautious:

I'm doing what I can do be ready for retirement. Debt free. Changing my living arrangement to save money. Maxxing my 401k. Still it won't come nearly soon enough.

:)

Never can do enough to get ready, figure what you need and double it-if you don't want to work while being a "retired gentleman"---hard to wait but think of the fun you have not getting up and going to work every morning-

Smoke

Never can do enough to get ready, figure what you need and double it...

I don't know if I'd go that conservative.
True, you want to be sure (well, as sure as your risk-tolerance requires) before you abandon the world of paying work. But if you do your calculations correctly AND hire a certified financial planner (fee-only-based, i.e., no commission on selling you investments) to review your figurin' you can be sure-enough.
That's what I did. It cost me a few hundred $$ for the CFP's services, but it was worth it to me to hire a professional -- someone who analyzes and figures out retirement plans for a living (someone who was recommended by a trusted co-worker of mine) -- to make sure that I was correct in thinking I was financially ready to retire. And she did a lot more than just say, "Yes, you can retire, Mark". She made a year-by-year accounting from now until mostly-likely-dead (95 years old) listing my changing assets, costs, and income, like -- adjusting for when S.S. would add to my income and when Medicare would reduce my expenses, buying a car/truck every X years, assisted living costs, etc.

My usual position when it comes to money, taxes, and accounting like this is: "Come on, it's arithmetic -- how hard can it be?!" And actually, this CFP didn't do anything that I couldn't have done myself -- with some effort. But in this case it was worth it to me to pay for that professional service -- basically a second opinion -- since it was such a big decision to jump ship and swim for shore on my own.
unsure.gif

You had more time to think than I did Mark-On January I was looking at three more years-by the end of that April, I knew I would be retiring the next January!-It was fast and had to do allot of things that first six months of retirement to make it work out, but I was worried for a tad! And I'm Okay:LOL:now! Just goes to show what what early planning can do-just got caught flat footed!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom