Retirement

Now the fun begins! I can officialy retire in 10 working days but im going to try and make it till the end of the year.Ready to be free!

43 workdays shy of my retirement after 30 years in public schools. I'll be in the Utah backcountry 3 days after my last day at work. Kinda nervous about the whole thing, but not enough to change my mind.

I think most of us can finally address the "Honey-Do" list with a vengeance when we quit full time employment or become "semi-retired" like I did. I agree...don't take on anything substantial for awhile until the list is short (its never done!) or you will be as busy and less organized as when you went to work every day.

Talk to your accountant, get your retirement income stream sorted out if you haven't done that and then you can ease yourself into a new/used rig for some longer trips. Again....you will have the time to do "stuff" so before you sign up for "stuff", get the feel for retirement.

Then....a new chapter begins...and not necessarily with an alarm clock to start your day....it takes some of us months to stop waking up on our own at the usual time without one!

Sometimes you just have to test the depth of water with both feet! I think you will find yourself happy. (I taught for 28 years math science middle school).
Strangely it will hit you in the end of August...for the first time in 'forever' September will mean something new.... you will still have the 'school dreams'. Take your time with the adjustment. It will all turn out good!

an old friend who retired teaching...great sense of humor.... said "now that I'm retired...I wake every day with nothing to do.... and at the end of the day I'm only half done!"

Is anyone open to say what age they retired at? I am nearing retirement - I could retire at 50 but I am not sure if it is too early. Who dares to submit their retirement age and comment on their timing?

Well mine is convoluted... I taught for 28 years and decided that, at 50 if was wanting to try something new in life I had better do it then... so I left teaching (at a whopping 21% retirement package... no it isn't fair but that is the system....my state doesn't allow social security benefits for teachers either)....so needless to say I am not retired in the traditional sense of the word. I went back to a masters program in Period Furniture making. ... took six years while I did other jobs to get by... computer tech and a math consultants for 2 years. Since I received the Certification I have been doing mostly antique conservation & restoration work... though in the poorest county in the state it is just not enough work to get by. So I do odd jobs. Retirement means many things to many people. Some think to golf all day and drink margaritas at night... I couldn't do either...
So am a retired teacher who hopes to keep working as long as I can at whatever...I love to work...that is how I relax and feel good. Luckily the lifestyle has worked so far. I have discovered I need a lot less than I thought I did and am actually happier for it. My days are never boring... all Pythagoreans make lists of work for the next day!

I would love to travel to sites and do Habitat for Humanity work ... as soon as the wife leaves her job (she in for 33 years and at 55 years old would only get 48% but she really wants to stop soon)... so maybe in a couple years we will bug out!

Congrats, I've been retired for 4 1/2 years and have never missed work. I ride my bike every day and have gone over 23,000 miles in that time so even if I get lazy the rest of the day, I'm satisfied. No desire to volunteer or do any kind of work. 40 years was enough for me. I retired at 59 just shy of 60. Lesson learn, it pays to save

Great posts. I was a page behind. I got the garage cleaned out, took 2 days, and managed to get a couple hours of fly fishing on the Brookville Tailwaters. Hit the water at noon an hour after they increased the flow from the dam. The water was merkie and lots of algae. 5 other guys and not a nibble. Thanks for the post. Weekend camping trip to southern Indiana along the Ohio River and Easter with our son's family. jd

Is your wife aware that playing the ukulele on the AT trail is the best way to pickup young ladies? True story, while hiking on the AT, young ladies were asking us for the location of the ukulele player backpacking ahead of them. We are retired and found having several steady "occupations" works great. For me: baking homemade bread, heating the house with wood, and day hiking coast-to-coast. Congratulations. :)

Ramblinman said:
Is anyone open to say what age they retired at? I am nearing retirement - I could retire at 50 but I am not sure if it is too early. Who dares to submit their retirement age and comment on their timing?
I "kinda,sorta,semi-retired" last year at 50, The last 20 years I worked for a small water agency. We had had enough of the rat race so we moved to the mountains and are living very, very modest for a while, freedom is addicting. I used to have an 02 f350 diesel in excellent cond. that I never drove much, now I'm driving a beater 03 f150 supercrew and am happier and am not as materialistic.

Ramblinman said:
My wife and both had the opportunity to retire at 58.
Best move we did. Our jobs were doing some changing. Hers a teacher for 34 years,
and mine I worked for Frito-Lay great job but I could see some weird changes coming.
So adios and move on. The 16 last years have been great.
With our daughter living in Barcelona it gave us a chance to spend more time there at different times of the year.

To the young make sure you have/can save money only way to have a good retirement.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
To the young make sure you have/can save money only way to have a good retirement.
Frank
*10 and start early enough to put compounding on your side.

Don't have to be a certain age to retire; just have to achieve a critical mass of assets.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom