Revisiting the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton question....

Haven't done business but they are known even here. An acquaintance just saved $12k on his new Ram 3500 vs. local deals.

I came at vehicle selection sort of backwards, as I first bought my neighbor's 2013 Hawk & needed a truck to host it.
Since I've had great experiences with Toyota, I was all set to buy a new or late model used Tundra, but once I started crunching the Gross Vehicle Weight numbers, the Ford F-150 became the clear choice. Since the new F-150 has an aluminum body, it's got an additional 400 lbs. of payload capacity compared to the Tundra -- that was the tipping point for me.
Just returned from 2500 mi. trip thru Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and back home to NoCal. I don't have much to compare it to, since this is my first experience with a pop-up, but so far, so good. The truck is an FX-4 with the 5.0L V8. I did install some airbags. The cab is quiet, and I really didn't notice the weight of the FWC Hawk, even with crosswinds. Gas mileage was good: just south of 16 mpg, and that included quiet a bit of 80 mph stretches thru Idaho & Nevada. My Hawk doesn't have all the bells and whistles -- it only weighs about 1100 lbs. -- but I never felt that the half-ton Ford was struggling in any way. Just my $.02...

OK...as promised, I'm responding to my own thread to relay how I feel about my decision to move up to a 3/4 ton truck, for anyone still reading this.

Been almost a month since I bought the Chevy 2500 HD Z71 6.0L, 4.10 rear axle double cab. My Hawk was a little too heavy for my Silverado 1/2 ton. What I've learned:

1) The ability of the 3/4 ton to 'handle' the load of the Hawk, vs. the 1/2 ton, is VASTLY superior. With the 1/2 ton, I could feel the weight on the back, the inertia of that weight really pulling you to one side when in a turn, braking distances, etc. No problems with the 3/4 ton. In fact, I would go as far to say that I don't really notice the camper being back there at all. A huge difference.

2) The ride of the 3/4 ton is much stiffer and firmer than the 1/2 ton. The 1/2 ton wins out in this category - well, not exactly....as time has passed, and I've had a chance to drive the 3/4 ton more, the increased stiffness of the ride has become less noticeable. Seems now the only time I notice the ride is when I consciously think about it - and, even then, it doesn't feel as stiff as when I first got the truck. Adaptation on my part, I'm sure. Also, it's worth noting that I let some pressure out of the 80lb 10 ply tires, down to around 60 front and back, which smoothed out my ride. And, once I actually put the camper on the truck, the ride softened even more.

3) Gas mileage was better in the 1/2 ton, by about 3-4 mpg all around.

4) Increased height of the 3/4 ton off the ground is a plus for 4 x 4 driving/off the grid driving. My last trip was into the Bighorn mountains in my home state of Wyoming, and we went off road...the 3/4 ton was a dream. Feels like you can go anywhere.

5) My 1/2 ton had a 5.3L V8. It handled hills just fine, plenty of power. But, now with the 6.0, even with the added total weight of the 3/4 ton, seems to have even more power when called upon.

If I think of anything else I'll post it here, but overall I have to say that I'm VERY pleased with trading up. Gas mileage is a negative, and the stiffer ride (when I notice it), but the handling, braking, agility of the pickup, power, are all much better with my 2500. Probably the biggest benefit I've noticed, to me, is simply the 3/4 ton's ability to carry the camper virtually effortlessly. One thing I've thought about doing in the future...maybe adding some Ride Rites to the back. Not really necessary for the payload, but some folks with 3/4 tons have posted that the ride smooths out even more with the air bags installed. Not sure if I'll do it, but something to consider. I had them on my 1/2 ton, and I did notice the difference in the ride.

Hope this helps any of you thinking about getting a new/different truck.

I picked up my hawk shell model (with rollover couch, heater, stove, solar panel, 2 batteries). I think they said it weighs 1150 lbs. I have a 2011 Tundra double cab. Previous suspension modification is I installed a factory Toyota TRD pro suspension and included some eckstrom design shackles in the rear that raise the real about 1-3/4 " to basically match the 2" lift the front experiences with the TRD pro suspension. Basically maintained factory rake. The beauty of the TRD pro suspension for off-roading is it is a softer ride and there is much more articulation. But the ride was a little "soft" on the highway and it seemed to sway a little with my regular camper shell and camping gear so I was concerned. I looked at all the usual suspension option like air bags and sway bars but didn't want to decrease my off-roadability. Especially the increased articulation of the entire suspension. My dealer, Denny Saunders at Four Wheelcampers of Jackson Hoke, recommended that I talk to Boise Spring Works. They installed four new leafs on the rear. Long story short : It works like a dream with and without the camper!

It raised the rear 1" without the camper and it drops about 2" with the camper. I drove the five hour drive from Boise, ID to Jackson, WY without the camper after the spring work and actually liked the ride better than before. Less "wobble" and flatter in the turns on the mountain passes. I drive pretty fast.. The ride was so good I was worried it would not support the camper. After Denny installed the camper I have driven well over 1000 miles of everything from 80mph intestate to rough two track roads on an elk hunt in Wyoming. Right away going south out of Jackson on the winding highways along the Snake and then the Hoback Rivers I was amazed at how secure the ride felt. I really pushed it to see how it cornered. Then I drive an over one hour drive on a fast (50 mph+) windy gravel road into elk camp and then several days of two track while hunting. Yesterday and the day before I drove through Rocky Mountain National Park which is an incredibly winding mountain road and then back to Albuquerque, NM.

I could not be happier with the on road and off road ride of my Tundra with the Hawk installed. It is amazingly secure on winding roads. I can really corner very hard, much harder than I should, and feel in total control. Then I can go off road in very rough roads and feel the same beautifully suspended soft and comfortable ride that my TRD Pro suspension gave me before. I am really pleasantly surprised and amazed at how great my Tundra drives in all road conditions. I really can barely tell the camper is there. I have no intention of making any further suspension changes such as air bags or a sway bar. ImageUploadedByWander The West1473773364.692843.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1473773421.035594.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1473773444.596752.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

good topic. I have a gmc 1500hd, and pull a 12 foot trailer with a 1600 lb utv on it. just ordered my hawk shell with very few options. they still told me to get airbags even though 1500hd is rated similar to 2500??? so I installed firestone ride rite airbags. yet to test. but if the hawk shell dry is 895 I have hauled that much in firewood for a week at king of the hammers. so I should be fine.

I have a 2013 Hawk camper with many of the options (or did until two weeks ago) and have had two Ford F150 trucks to carry it. My 2013 F150 with 5.0 engine carried it great. I did have E rated tires and ride right air bags with 25lb inflation. I did probably a 1000 miles of off road driving including some pretty rough stuff in Nevada and Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.

My 2015 Ford F150 is 700lbs lighter so I tried it without the airbags. It rode great on its first camper trip through Arizona and Nevada, again on many rough back roads. However, on the final stretch home I was on the highway at night and almost every car and semi-truck flashed me to tell me I had high beams on which I didn’t. Well without the airbags there was sag in the back which pointed the lights at an up angle and into every driver’s eyes. I got home and put airbags on.

I recognize that a ¾ ton may be optimal in that it generally has a higher capacity but I wanted a Ford F150, as my truck is an everyday driver doing 40,000 miles a year and a 250 is overkill for me. Most of the time my camper is not on it but I do about 3,500 miles a year with my camper on. I have never felt I needed more than my 150. Neither on rough back roads or in keeping with traffic on the ridiculous highway speeds of Utah.

Attachments

• The Wall RR Valley Nevada.jpg
    The Wall RR Valley Nevada.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 239
I have the same 2500 Z71 with the Duramax/Allison and RideRites. It is all good except for the gass mileage 11-14 mpg depending on what I am doing.

The Wyoming hunt was my brother's archery hunt that I helped out on. Yes he did get a great bull with his bow.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Been awhile since I've posted on this thread, but thought I'd update, for anyone still interested in this topic, my current views of my 3/4 ton.

I've had the truck for almost 9 months now, and I'm still happy that I traded up from a 1/2 ton. I've been in Florida for the last several months, and the camper has not been with me, so I've been doing some driving without the weight in the back. Gas mileage is obviously not as good as I had with the 1/2 ton, but I like the 3/4 ton overall. With the camper on the bed, the 3/4 beats the 1/2 ton in just about every category but gas mileage, and even with the camper off the stiffer ride vs. the 1/2 ton is a non-issue. Don't even notice it anymore. I think, if you have a pretty loaded Hawk, the 3/4 ton is superior to the 1/2 ton for handling the weight. Turning, braking are better, and less stress on the drive train. Still mulling putting Ride Rite air bags on my truck....probably overkill, but I'd like the ability to level the camper out when we're on uneven terrain - and, the ride does improve somewhat with air bags.

Back
Top Bottom