Rig Build with FWC Hawk

jclifb

Advanced Member
I appreciate this forum immensely and look forward to gaining insight from seasoned FWCers!

Last week I drove from Alabama to N. Kentucky to purchase my new 2016 FWC Hawk. Yes, its new but never used from 2016!

I picked it up with my new-to-me truck that will be dedicated to this camper by backing onto a steep retaining wall with little room for error.

IMG_0029.gif

I got the camper home and backed it into my garage and built a cart so that I could open the camper in the garage for working on it and for loading before a trip.

IMG_0042.gif

Now that I have the camper safe and sound in the garage, I have a lot of questions. The previous owner never used the camper so he was not able to help answer much.

First, what are these holes for?

IMG_0043.gif

jclifb said:
First, what are these holes for?
If this is the passenger side, I too am curious as to why some cut two holes on the rear wing that contains the optional cassette toilet.

Every field mouse in the boonies is going to love those access holes.

TacomaAustin said:
If this is the passenger side, I too am curious as to why some cut two holes on the rear wing that contains the optional cassette toilet.

Every field mouse in the boonies is going to love those access holes.
My thoughts as well! The P/O had them covered with cardboard and no sign of any entry, but if they are not necessary for me, I will cut a piece of hardwood to seal them up. Just need to know what their purpose was from the factory before I do so!

My guess is that isn’t factory added, but something a previous owner added. Send that photo to Stan Kennedy and see if he can shed any light.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
My guess is that isn’t factory added, but something a previous owner added. Send that photo to Stan Kennedy and see if he can shed any light.
I talked to the original owner and he said he cut those out in order to create a pre-warming system for the camper that tied into his truck's heating system. The holes were for the tubing access. I likely won't be following that same game plan, so I have a project not to seal these holes up!

BTW, I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on the new camper. More pictures, please.
Thanks! Will be taking some interior pictures today!

Next question: I have a 7-pin connector in my bed for a fifth-wheel camper, and have done the research that the 7-pin trailer connector can run the FWC with an adapter.

That being said, how do I wire a male 7-pin connector to this? I am handy with the actual hands-on wiring, but not so much with the schematics part of the process.

IMG_0046.gif

See my reply on your other post. Or, if you want to use the existing socket on your truck, buy a male plug, and the matching plug on the FWC side, then wire up an extension to the back of your truck.

See my reply on your other post. Or, if you want to use the existing socket on your truck, buy a male plug, and the matching plug on the FWC side, then wire up an extension to the back of your truck.
Do the exterior driving lights on the FWC act as a third brake light when wired up? Not sure how that would work with just 3 wires coming from the FWC...?

So in my research of the electrical, I opened the battery compartment yesterday to find a major swelling AGM battery that was almost too hot to touch. I promptly pulled the battery out and set it outside as to not burn down my new camper. The battery was original to the camper and plugged into shore power since new.

After needing a new battery, I decided to pull the trigger on a single 100Ah Battleborn Lithium unit for our small off-grid stays.

With that being said, my current charger/converter won't be the best option for a lithium battery. I am looking at an Iota charger/converter that is suited for lithium charging, but want to know if anyone has any other recommendations instead of the Iota unit? Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about your cooked battery. Glad you avoided a disaster!

I’m very partial to the Victron gear. PKYS.com has good prices… no affiliation.

Redarc makes good stuff too.

I have a 25A Victron unit in my camper.

Vic Harder said:
Sorry to hear about your cooked battery. Glad you avoided a disaster!

I’m very partial to the Victron gear. PKYS.com has good prices… no affiliation.

Redarc makes good stuff too.

I have a 25A Victron unit in my camper.
Not surprised about the battery, but very very glad I took it out before letting it collect a charge for multiple days on end!

I spoke to Brenda at FWC and she informed me that the new units coming from the factory are running lithium and being charged with the Victron Blue Smart IP22 Charger. I am partial to Victron equipment as well so I am likely just going to order this unit and swap it out in place of the current Iota unit.

I am not going to tie the truck into the camper's electrical as I don't see a need to do so considering how we camp. We'll be on shore power 80% of the time and can stay one or two nights off-grid with the single Battleborn battery.

I'll likely add a solar panel to the roof at some point this spring with a Victron MPPT solar charger, but for now I just want to get the basic electrical up to par.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom