Roll Over Couch.

Shadyapex

Hey all, just felt like sharing this as I wish I'd done it years ago. I removed the back of the roll over couch from my Eagle. I really wanted to enlarge the living space and had thought about converting to a side dinette style but decided to try this as an experiment first. We've done 3 trips now without the couch back in place and it's fantastic. You can see out the window, the space feels very much brighter and bigger and we just lean back on a duffel bag or the canvas boat bag I usually keep in the under-couch bin that contains my clothes. It really makes the space so much more versatile. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the couch back, anybody need one?

Shadyapex said:
Hey all, just felt like sharing this as I wish I'd done it years ago. I removed the back of the roll over couch from my Eagle. I really wanted to enlarge the living space and had thought about converting to a side dinette style but decided to try this as an experiment first. We've done 3 trips now without the couch back in place and it's fantastic. You can see out the window, the space feels very much brighter and bigger and we just lean back on a duffel bag or the canvas boat bag I usually keep in the under-couch bin that contains my clothes. It really makes the space so much more versatile. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the couch back, anybody need one?
How does the EAGLE look like without back of the ROC? Any pics?

Thanks for the pics.

I like the idea removing the couch back. Need more space for carrying my windsurfing-sails!

P1000299.jpg

It improves storage in a big way, and if you want to put it back it's an easy nut and bolt job, so no commitment.

Hey Shady, if you want to get rid of it, i'll give you a couple bucks for it. Does the hinges come with it ? Give me a call if you want . Mitch 765 655 5571

Hey Mitch, well I'd rather give you a good deal on it than have it sit in my shop for the next several years. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow (Sunday).

I did the same awhile back and really like it, so does the dog!!! Lots more light in and more room traveling down the road! Plus I took the back materials and had a bolster made from it!!! I can move it around, lean on it to eat, lay it down and lay on it to read!!!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 319
Shady, Nice looking rig.

I noticed in the last pic the length of your front mud flaps.

We "bobbed" ours 8 inches as we were afraid they would get ripped off on some of the trails we go over.

Shadyapex said:
Hey Mitch, well I'd rather give you a good deal on it than have it sit in my shop for the next several years. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow (Sunday).
Hey Mitch, sorry I didn't get a chance to call you today, super busy. And tomorrow we're heading out for Death Valley for the week. Maybe we can chat next weekend?

I'm glad removing the seatback worked out well for you... myself I would never consider removing it. As far as storage goes... I always store things behind the seatback. I store 2 lawn chairs behind there at all times. I also find it a convenient place to store coats. sleeping bags etc. We also like kite flying, so we store our kites behind there too. Pretty much anything long goes back there. We store our axes back there. If we are bringing our bicycles, our helmets go back there.

The thing I like about it is, even though I store a lot of stuff back there, the camper is still totally clean and fully usable. While travelling, it does a great job of keeping thing contained, so they are not bouncing around the camper.

We also use the bottom bed, so it get used rolled over at the end of the night as well to be used as a bed.

So once again, I'm glad it works for your situation. I just wanted to chime in and mention how valuable I find it.

Bill D said:
I'm glad removing the seatback worked out well for you... myself I would never consider removing it. As far as storage goes... I always store things behind the seatback. I store 2 lawn chairs behind there at all times. I also find it a convenient place to store coats. sleeping bags etc. We also like kite flying, so we store our kites behind there too. Pretty much anything long goes back there. We store our axes back there. If we are bringing out bicycles, our helmets go back there.

The thing I like about it is, even though I store a lot of stuff back there, the camper is still totally clean and fully usable.

We also use the bottom bed, so it get used rolled over at the end of the night as well to be used as a bed.

So once again, I'm glad it works for your situation. I just wanted to chime in and mention how valuable I find it.
Yup, that's the beauty of it. We all use our rigs differently. I also found it a handy place to stash stuff, but then I realized that the stuff I was stowing there always went outside when we parked. The chairs and folding table, etc. But on the other hand we never use the fold over bed, as you do, so that wasn't an issue with us. Apart from any particular set up what I like most is the versatility. Cheers,,,,,

Mic said:
I did the same awhile back and really like it, so does the dog!!! Lots more light in and more room traveling down the road! Plus I took the back materials and had a bolster made from it!!! I can move it around, lean on it to eat, lay it down and lay on it to read!!!
I thought of doing that and might still. Nice looking dog, too. Was thinking of making a corner cushion so I could splay out my legs in either direction with back against the corner. But for now we're keeping it simple. I just pull my clothes bag out of the under bench storage and lean against that with maybe an extra pillow from the bed. We may well follow your lead in the future.

Back
Top Bottom