Roof cargo box on Bobcat

robcc

Advanced Member
We have an ATC bobcat that we'll be taking on an extended trip and considering putting our Thule Cascade cargo box on a yakima roof rack with 2 bars on yakima roof tracks to allow more storage. We'd only put light bulky things up there. Two issues:
1. The box will partially (maybe 1/3) block the solar panel if placed on the edge of the roof. Has anyone done this and still found the panel sufficiently charges the battery. The box is about 22" wide. We'll be taking the box off when we reach our destination.
2. The issue of having weight up there when popping up. We also may have a light road bike up there for a portion of that trip. What is the max weight for ATC for driving and popping up? Does popping up with weight on the roof harm the popup locking mechanism? Any issues with having weight unevenly distributed on the roof? -- Rob

For several years and trips we carried a 55# canoe on the roof.
It blocked the solar panel a little but didn't seem to change the
charging enough to notice.
After I added a second panel the canoe would have blocked
that one more,but buy then I had stopped carrying the canoe.

As far as lifting the top with the #40 lifters front and rear there wasn't
a problem lifting the roof.

Don't know what the limit is but you sound like you are placing a lot up there.

Frank

We carried about 70# of Old Town canoe on our Hawk for one trip and it was very nearly impossible to lift the roof.

It was dangerous lowering the roof.

It was a lot of work getting the boat up there.....used a loading dock and two helpers on one end of the trip.

You mileage may vary.

David Graves

Just weighed the thule box with hardware it's 27# empty. Sounds like we need to keep items really light in it and maybe not have the box and a bike up there together when popping up since we'd be close to what David had. I have friends that carry two bikes on the roof but they remove their bikes before popping up. -- Rob

After talking with Marty we are foregoing the cargo box. He expressed concern about the box being in the same spot on the tracks especially if we travelled on washboard roads which we do a lot. Darn.

We have carried a Yakima cargo box (small one) for eight years on our ATC Ocelot with no issues. Plus canoes, kayaks at times - lifting and lowering the roof with a speaker stand crank takes all the issues out of that part. I did reinforce the lifting panels inside the camper with 1/2" plywood.

Back
Top Bottom