Roof Leak Experience and solutions

stockrex

Greetings,

I have not made my 1st voyage yet but discovered a slight leak at the front top passenger side of the roof (not sure of the location but the hinge was a little chalky.

I need your assistance, pls share your roof leak experience and how you investigated and resolved it.
Pls put down any material used to resolve it.

Thanks everyone!

What year is it? Ben (former owner of FWC and then was with ATC when they started up) was saying in a post before that certain year campers had issues with condensation inside the roofing members that would then run to the front of the camper and leak out there. He offered some fixes for that as well if i recall correctly.

Try tightening the edge screws removing the old seal and reapply I used 3m marine sealer......

stan,
pls see this thread for details, it is an 04,
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1896
Thks,

AK Nomad, Thanks for sharing your experience, has your leaked since?

on a seperate note, I brought back the bag with the eyebolts and the marine plug I bought at the Riverside, CA location just before they closed down there, I put em in my carryon backpack
got pulled aside at the security :).
gonna measure and drill holes in the bed this weekend I get a chance or next weekend, kinda nervous drilling into the bed of my brand new duramax!!

kinda nervous drilling into the bed of my brand new duramax!!

Don't forget the sacrificial board underneath! Keep from cutting those fuel and electrical lines...

scott, Thanks, I am looking for a plate to reinforce from underneath and or on top, dunno if I will have enough lenght in the eyebolts for 2 plates.

luv the pull out seat you made for you TC, very innovative

scott, Thanks, I am looking for a plate to reinforce from underneath and or on top, dunno if I will have enough lenght in the eyebolts for 2 plates.

luv the pull out seat you made for you TC, very innovative

Thanks for the compliment! DLN inspired me. A LOT.

Try for 2 plates, above and below. Get new eye bolts if you must... Easier to do it right the first time...

roof leaks fixed?

To answer your question - after sitting in the deepfreeze all winter, we popped the top this spring and there was moisture in both front corners. Passenger side was worse, with the ceiling material fairly soaked. Not exactly sure if it was from the spring thaw, condensation, or both. I havn't been in a good rain yet, to see if the repairs we made at the end of last summer are working. I'll take the awesome weather we're having instead.

Keep us posted on your roof situation.

I'm curious to know if it is more of a condensation issue in the aluminum framing members, and how that can be fixed.

How did the eyebolts turn out?

still leaking

Last week I was laying in the bunk when some showers came through.....sure enough...........drip........drip.........drip..........drip.
I'm ready to tear the whole roof off and start over. I've replaced every screw in the roof using new high quality 3M sealant. I've replaced the sealant under the roof racks. Next I'll try removing all the sealant from each seam (down the middle and along all sides) and replace with fresh quality sealant. Even though they look fine, water must be getting in somehow. It doesn't take much of a rain shower, and water gets right into that aluminum frame, runs down to that front corner, and weeps through those cuts they made in the roof frame to make the front corner round. I certainly didn't expect to have this kind of trouble with an 04 FWC that's been well taken care of. Anyone else have an 04 with this trouble, I'd like to hear how you fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom