Roof Lifts Struts On The Outside

billharr

Saw this picture on the TC magazine site'
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=975&Itemid=87

Has anyone done this (struts on the outside) or do you know who's camper this is? I also want to know if anyone is using the under the bed box the picture is about?

From the article.
The Aluminess Cabover Box is attached under the front cabover bed. The Cabover Box is about three feet by four feet by six inches deep adding interior storage space to your camper.

Bill

Attachments

• al-frontovercab3.jpg
    al-frontovercab3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 801
I think that is a new option -
"We have a gas strut list assist available now for all of our campers. This is a nice feature if you are having a hard time raising the camper roof, or if you are planning to leave a little gear on the camper roof and need just a little extra help from a simple roof list assist. We can install this on any new or used FWC camper.
" from http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/products.htm

Wonder if that can be added on to an older camper??

Saw this picture on the TC magazine site'
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=975&Itemid=87

Has anyone done this (struts on the outside) or do you know who's camper this is? I also want to know if anyone is using the under the bed box the picture is about?

From the article.
The Aluminess Cabover Box is attached under the front cabover bed. The Cabover Box is about three feet by four feet by six inches deep adding interior storage space to your camper.

Bill

I had FWC install the lift system, and they install it on the inside of the camper, right next to the bed.

I had FWC install the lift system, and they install it on the inside of the camper, right next to the bed.

How do you like the lift? are they in the way? I have see the pictures but not sure if they would be in the way. I can lift the top OK but the wife can't.

Bill

FWC sells the strut kit for $250 incl shipping and handling. It took me all of 20 minutes to install it. We have a 27# solar panel up top and the struts really help. They sent us the 30lb struts for our eagle, but said I can swap them for the 40lb struts if they are not enough. We will be passing through woodland in December and I want to try the 40lb struts, but the 30lb struts are a great improvement none the less.

Do they get in the way? No, since I take them off when we set up. It's an easy 30 second task. Just slip the end of a swiss army knife can opener, or such, under the clip to pull it up a wee bit and the struts pop right off. The one remaining task is to fit a padded sleeve over the wooden roof brace that will slid over the strut mounts. I don't have much hair as it is now and these strut mounts look like they could do a good job scraping off what little is left some dark night.

How do you like the lift? are they in the way? I have see the pictures but not sure if they would be in the way. I can lift the top OK but the wife can't.

Bill

The lift arms are removable. After you lift the top, use a small screwdriver to press on the release tabs...and in about 30 seconds, you can remove them both. They just snap on when you go to lower the top again.

I am about to replace the bed board on my old fleet and have been considering under the bed storage like in this picture but thought it might look funny. Now that I see it, I can't decide if I like it or not. In my head I was envisioning it being a bigger storage box but after looking at the install pics on TC magazine I think it's a good size. At $800 it's a pricey mod by am really going to consider doing that. If I put a yakima air dam up top you wouldn't even be able to see it from the front and it would add great storage for clothes. I am thinking about upgrading to a larger truck though and would have to check the clearance. At any rate it's a great idea.

I am about to replace the bed board on my old fleet and have been considering under the bed storage like in this picture but thought it might look funny. Now that I see it, I can't decide if I like it or not. In my head I was envisioning it being a bigger storage box but after looking at the install pics on TC magazine I think it's a good size. At $800 it's a pricey mod by am really going to consider doing that. If I put a yakima air dam up top you wouldn't even be able to see it from the front and it would add great storage for clothes. I am thinking about upgrading to a larger truck though and would have to check the clearance. At any rate it's a great idea.

Possible condensation trap...

I have factory under bed storage on my Hallmark Milner LX and have no problems whatsoever with condensation. I use the under bed storage for pillows sleeping bags blankets etc., and still have space I haven't used. The underbed storage coupled with the main area storage makes for a lot of room for everything I need to have with me. I wouldn't think an add on underbed storage would be much different than the factory storage on mine with relation to condensation. I could be wrong though. As all Hallmarks come with under bed storage I know nothing else and would not go without it. For me, it's a very important and useful part of the camper.

Good Camping,

Paul

I should have added in my last post that I don't think it looks bad at all. If you think it will benefit your lifestyle in the camper and you can afford it I'd go for it. After all, it's "function before fashion", right?
biggrin.gif

Stopped by ATC on Friday and chatted with Marty, Jeff,& Don about struts on the outside Looks like my camper is going to be their first experiment
with outside struts. I'm retiring next year and first retirement trip will be summer in Canada and Alaska. I'll be carrying an 80 watt solar panel and a kayak on
the roof, so struts will be a necessitity and I don't want them on the inside. I'll post pictures and report on how they work.

Stopped by ATC on Friday and chatted with Marty, Jeff,& Don about struts on the outside Looks like my camper is going to be their first experiment
with outside struts. I'm retiring next year and first retirement trip will be summer in Canada and Alaska. I'll be carrying an 80 watt solar panel and a kayak on
the roof, so struts will be a necessitity and I don't want them on the inside. I'll post pictures and report on how they work.

No doubt struts on the outside will work, that is the first place that I put mine (two on each side towards the front and back of the roof) and they worked fine. I moved them inside because I was concerned about the effects of weather and corrosion. In most applications I have seen, gas struts are protected from direct exposure. On the front like that they will be blasted by the elements and I would be concerned about shortened useful life. There are stainless steel struts made for severe exposure but I think they are much more expensive than the standard looking struts shown in the picture on this thread.

Yeah I thought of that or in general a cold spot under the bed but I'm sure that we would have it so stuffed with clothes that it would be insulated enough to prevent condensation and a cold spot. We are doing a 3 week road trip for Christmas to visit family in the camper. It will be our first time spending more than 2 to 3 nights in it and between my wife and I, the dog and the gear it's gonna be tight in there. Any way to get extra storage is good by me.

Back
Top Bottom