Roof Question - Is this normal?

Ace!

Gone Traveling
This has been the condition of my camper since I can remember. I picked it up in November 2015 and didn't pay that much attention to the top for a few weeks maybe. I assume because it is aluminum it is difficult to bend and fit and there will be minor dents and what-not, but figured I'd ask if everyone else's is the same. Do you have minor gaps where the roof and sides don't fit seamlessly? I have these gaps all around the camper where the roof meets the sides. Could there be an issue of water intrusion?

Attachments

• FWC Roof.jpg
    FWC Roof.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 549
  • FWC Roof 2.jpg
    FWC Roof 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 520
I noticed similar spots in several places on my May 2014 build. I figured they were primarily cosmetic, but it didn't stop me from filling them in with a bit of Sikaflex when I was doing a solar installation.

I thought it might be cosmetic too, but since I've had it less than a year I figured I should find out if it's a warranty issue. I had a trailer that leaked terribly and cost me a bundle to fix (even under warranty, I had to pay for a portion).

I'll take a closer look at mine today.

I don't think it is "normal". That being said, it would be extremely difficult to make every unit perfect.

I'll report back later today.

I looked at mine. While not perfectly smooth it doesn't have anything that looks like a fold or crease like you have in yours.

I'd be concerned with metal fatigue and a potential point of water infiltration at that point. You may want to get FWCs opinion.

Ace! said:
This has been the condition of my camper since I can remember. I picked it up in November 2015 and didn't pay that much attention to the top for a few weeks maybe. I assume because it is aluminum it is difficult to bend and fit and there will be minor dents and what-not, but figured I'd ask if everyone else's is the same. Do you have minor gaps where the roof and sides don't fit seamlessly? I have these gaps all around the camper where the roof meets the sides. Could there be an issue of water intrusion?
Looking at your photos,it seems like there are gaps in the sealant I would defiantly call about that or reseal those areas.
The "bends "at the corner are normal since the metal has to form around a curve.
A call to Stan would be the thing to do_Or e mail your photos.
Frank

I re looked at my roof/seam joint. I have a continuous bead of sealant all the way around.
My Bobcat is over 6 years old and there are no gaps or sealant splits like you show in the pictures.
Seems like a place for water to get in.
Frank

Ace! said:
Ace,

Just check my '16 Hawk that we ordered the day you picked yours up in Tigard...unfortunately it would appear that your roof sheet is not sealed by the putty/sealant in your photos in a few places..the left front [ or RR?] corner in the photo seems like it is dented in and pulled up the top sheet away from the railing that secures the top sheet to the frame with all those screws.

My top sheet has 'waves' in it and the railing does have a continuous bead of sealant between it and the top sheet....not perfection to be sure, but that top sheet, while continuous and with no seams, is thin metal and I would assume a bear to form over the frame around the edges. Your sheet seems to have "curled free" of the railing and the sealant.

Damn! Not certain where a water leak there would go. On the outside of the pop-up fabric; or could it get inside the fabric and into the interior of the camper.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Phil

I'm glad I posted. It's been like this, like I say, as far back as I can remember. I hadn't posted before because I just assumed they must all be like that, but it's been eating on me that I should probably ask others since it seems like there should be at least sealant. I guess I'll take some better pictures and follow up with FWC now.

It is very normal.

Completly cosmetic.

The butyl tape underneath is doing all of the sealing.

White sealant is just for looks. If its bugging you, you can trim off the excess butyl putty tape and caulk over it.

Hope this helps to ease your mind.

You can alway call our service department if you need additional help. Thank you.

Ace! said:
Thanks Stan. You were my next contact.
I have a 2015 Hawk and my roof looks like yours (until our recent Hail storm). Mine has never leaked a drop. I have resealed in a few places - but just for looks.

Just a note on this topic for those of us with older FWC campers.....

At last weekend's Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival I mentioned to Stan that I had been surprised to see his post say the sealant at the top of the drip-edge is cosmetic only (post 12 above).

I went on to explain I was convinced I had repaired a persistent leak at the left-front corner cabover by replacing that silicone. In reply, Stan said FWC wasn't using the butyl tape back then (my Hawk is a 2001) and it is indeed important on the older models to have a good seal there.

-Old Crow

Back
Top Bottom