Roof Rack Installation

Okay, started the installation. Can't see much in this pic. Shooting a white roof in full sun just doesn't work. I'll get another shot when the sun goes down.

Attachments

• S5300003 (Small).JPG
    S5300003 (Small).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,047
Okay, I still need more altitude for a good shot but I didnt feel climbing on my roof just yet. All bolted down. Whether I'll weld the crossposts on is undecided. I just drilled and tapped the supports so at this stage its all very easy to modify yet. I'm still unsure about the strength, whether those supports are sturdy enough. Those are pretty small screws but I did silicone them all down. I also figure I can use that light bar to tie to also. Of course its all kind of premature since I don't have anything to toss up there yet. And I lifted the top. I couldn't tell any difference with the extra weight up there.

Attachments

• S5300061 (Small).JPG
    S5300061 (Small).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • S5300062 (Small).JPG
    S5300062 (Small).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 815
Ordered some rubber and plastic caps for the ends. Of course they only come in packs of 50. So I have a few extra if anyone needs any. I like the rubber ones. The plastic ones (the shorter ones) are real tight fit.

Attachments

• S5300063 (Small).JPG
    S5300063 (Small).JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 375
I could use 8 of the rubber ones Craig. I am more than happy to pay for them including shipping. I too will send off a PM

Nice job there Craig. Glad it worked out for you. Look forward to some pics with the racks loaded! ;)

Reminds me, I never did post a closeup. All material from the blue collar supply. Fairly heavy aluminum so I figure I don't need more than one support per side. Angled the cut on the support piece so I could easily get the screws in. Forward screw is the original one, rear I had to drill. Lots of silicone underneath, in the screw holes and a bead around (which you can see some didn't stay). Cross bars are just bolted on. I drilled and tapped the supports. I figure the bars don't need to be all that strong since I'll be cinching stuff down to the light bar on the front, that'll be taking of most of the load.

rack.jpg

I still need a kayak :(

Reminds me, I never did post a closeup. All material from the blue collar supply. Fairly heavy aluminum so I figure I don't need more than one support per side. Angled the cut on the support piece so I could easily get the screws in. Forward screw is the original one, rear I had to drill. Lots of silicone underneath, in the screw holes and a bead around (which you can see some didn't stay). Cross bars are just bolted on. I drilled and tapped the supports. I figure the bars don't need to be all that strong since I'll be cinching stuff down to the light bar on the front, that'll be taking of most of the load.

rack.jpg

I still need a kayak :(

Nice and simple, I like it. I received an expensive quote to weld everything up. I like what you did, that's going to work fine for what I want to do with them. Thanks for the close up pic.

One of these days I'll get a camera that auto updates the the date so as not freak you all out.

On this same topic, what about side mount yakima roof racks. Seems to work good for lighter loads. Anybody see a problem?

Attachments

• kestral rack for web.JPG
    kestral rack for web.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 524
Finally got the roof racks built and installed. Only problem is I need to carry a 6' step ladder to get the boards on and off. :oops: Ended up moving the front rack back a few feet. Measure twice drill once? Yeah....forgot about that rule in my rush to get them on.... Now if I could just quit work and take more surf trips.
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0434-1.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

Hey SloJet,
I noticed you used an extra piece of tubing. Is that more or less a spacer to clear the vent?

Also, anyone know what kind of hardware is used to hang the bikes off the back?

Yakimabox_thumbjpg.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark

Hey
Nice rack ideas. There are various manufactures of skewer type bike racks that can be mounted to the back. I have had good luck with the yakima type. There are several here. Make sure you plate the backside

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Truck_Bed_Bike_Racks-sf-Fork_Mount_Cradles.aspx

Hey SloJet,
I noticed you used an extra piece of tubing. Is that more or less a spacer to clear the vent?

Yakimabox_thumbjpg.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• Yakima Fork Rack Mount 3.jpg
    Yakima Fork Rack Mount 3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 327
I like the back mounted bike rack. The only question I have is how secure is the mount for off road trails. Thanks Mike

Hey SloJet,

Yakimabox_thumbjpg.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark

I had a Yakima tower and crossbar mounted all the back on the roof. I hung the bikes with Yakima fork blocks and secured the rear wheel to the bumper and/or rear wall steps with tie down straps. It is a solid setup for the most part although in an offroad setting i think the rear tire would do some damage to the camper as it just rests against the camper wall. Some kind of adhesive protective coating would probably rectify that.

The downsides to this setup are that its not that easy to get the bikes on (two people is more practical for this job), and the roof can't be raised with the bikes on.

I use a Yakima hitch mount bike rack now that is hinged so it can be rotated out of the way of the back door. I like the setup a lot better.

We have had no problems so far with this set-up in rough Colorado 4-wheel drive roads. Large metal plate inside is important. The lower wheel is secured by straps

I like the back mounted bike rack. The only question I have is how secure is the mount for off road trails. Thanks Mike

Hey SloJet,

Yakimabox_thumbjpg.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark

No, that was originally designed that way because I was going to put some thule fork mounts on the back crossbar for the mountain bikes. It didn't work out because I have thru axles on the bikes and have to use a fork adapter to use the skewer mounts and it ended up hitting the roof back of the roof. I ended up bolting the fork mounts to the back of the camper and the extra block isn't needed anymore, but it does give a little more room for working with surf rack straps and such. I wouldn't change it back if I were to do it again.

Been sitting on the material and box for some time...finally got off my butt and got it done!

Big thanks to our rack-building forefathers, couldn't have done it without you guys!

I went with #10 hardware for the mounts, grade 8 bolts for the crossbars - should be pretty bomber. No more sleeping on top of my snowboards, yeah!!! :cool:

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

Looks like you need some rubber ends for that rack. I'd ship some off but it may take a week to figure out which box they're in. Moving sucks.

Back
Top Bottom