roof skewed when latching down?

OregonIan

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Hawk. I've noticed that sometimes when I latch it down, the roof is slightly off kilter--usually about a centimeter or less too far forward. So the side latches don't exactly align, and the back of the roof rubs against the black tubing that lines the top of the hard section of the camper (just below the soft part).

Any ideas about how to fix this? Could it have to do with the sequece of latching (and is there a correct sequence to latching?). Any guidance is much-appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Ian

My latching technique fwiw (assuming your latch layout is like my Grandby): First latch the two rears, then the two fronts, then the two sides. In each case I pull down on the roof and kinda hold it in place to make sure it's firmly down, and then tighten latch tension accordingly. After a few mishaps in my FWC newbie days, all things roof have been snug since adopting this procedure. Btw, my roof is also a bit askew, but probably because I forgot to unlatch the inside bolt once or twice or . . . doh!
Rico.

If your roof can shift 1/2” forward or back when down, I suspect you have a problem with the lift boards, like hinge attachments that are loose or bent. The lift boards should positively locate the roof when it is down, with little or no ability to shift it side to side or front to back.

Back
Top Bottom