Rope making

buckland

Site Team
This is in Spanish but one does't have to understand the words to appreciate the work and in ingenious methods used to make hemp rope. Used in so many fields mountains to marine. Important to appreciate how things were and are made by hand.

Los Sogueros

You gotta appreciate what I call Old World Craftsmanship, at least I do I think. If such things are of interest here, the following concerns the crafting of a Riata, the rawhide rope still used by some Buckaroo’s around here. Fair warning, it includes skinning a cow, cutting and fleshing hides and such. The stuff some find icky.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=0hQ29xYzoyk&usg=AOvVaw3-4FF5h51_RmXQ35elPkHN
Oh and thanks for sharing the first link.

The craftsmanship is remarkable. took years of making something then making it better and over time perfected. I really enjoy these videos. Practical smart. Every region has their own frugal use of what they have. In ours it is "Use it up wear it out, make it do or do without".

Just catching up on these links and Frankie sure was talented...talk about a beautiful life!

Use it up wear it out,make it do or do without. Sounds like what mom and dad would say.
But they were from the "greatest generation" and lived through the depression.

Learned a lot from my parents.Didn't know it at the time but years later it rings a clear bell.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom