Rubber Truck Bed Mat?

Ambling1

Advanced Member
I am picking up my new ATC Ocelot shell build next week and am wondering if it is recommended to install a rubber mat between camper and truck bed?

FWC recommends either a bed mat or spray in liner. I chose a spray in liner.

The ATC crew suggested I remove my rubber truck bed mat when they installed my Ranger II. As I understood, it delayed drainage.

Thanks for the replies! Seems like I can go either way with the bed mat. I was "thinking" that a mat would help the camper from not shifting on those washboards or rough roads. I am not too worried about moisture under the camper since it doesn't seem to rain in the southwest anymore. Any other opinions?

We started out with no mat and after our first trip I put one in. The camper did shift around a lot on washboard roads. If it has moved since the mat it was a subtle change.

A factor that may or may not mean anything is that our camper is not bolted down thru the floor or from the 'wings'. It is secured via the jack brackets using long and/or flexible means.

From FWC:
"Although spray-in bed liners (such as Line-X, Rhino Liner, etc.) and/or rubber bed mats are not necessary, they do help protect the truck bed long term.”Spray-On” bed liners or a simple rubber bed mat will prevent damage to the truck bed and prevent the camper from shifting in the truck bed while in motion. The “Spray-On” bed liner is the preferred choice for most all customers."

I used a DeeZee brand rubber bed mat full time for twenty years on my previous FWC and truck. Upon the sale and removal of the camper I noticed the base of the camper was fine, the bed mat looked like new as did the bed of the truck. My new truck was treated to LineX with another DeeZee mat on top. I have never had any problems with loose tie downs or camper movement.

Yet.

The Line-X in my truck seems like it would be way to slick on it's own and would probably allow a camper to slide noticeably. I used a 1/2 inch rubber mat with my Alaskan and plan on doing the same with my Hawk.

I agree with rayct on this. I have a spray in liner but I use a rubber mat too. It helps keep the camper from sliding.

whizbang said:
I agree with rayct on this. I have a spray in liner but I use a rubber mat too. It helps keep the camper from sliding.
I have a Line-X spray in liner and my Grandby doesn't budge even when on some pretty rough dirt trails.

I have a rubber mat that has been through three trucks and is now under the Ocelot. Does seem to keep the camper from moving very much.

I use the Toyota bed mat for my model Tacoma. Had it with the flippac and took it out when I first got the camper. After my first trip I put it in with the FWC. Keeps the camper from moving about too much on the slick bars and provides a little cushion while on desert roads.

Looks like I will dig an old truck mat out of storage. It's been years since I backed a truck under a camper. Did anybody else have a hard time waiting for delivery of their camper? Thanks for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom