Rust repair and other fixes

Star152

I‘ve had my 04 Granby for one year now. Living in SF I must deal with FOG and Rust. The first to go was the four jack mounts. All started rusting all over. I took as much rust of as I could with a Dremel. I use OSH paint in a can. I primed first then painted gloss white. After I let the paint dry I sealed the top and bottom with 3M quick dry adhesive from West marine very expensive for a tube $25. I also filled the holes and the edge where the two plates meet for a total seal. I did this work in the early summer and so far it look like the rust has slowed and not coming through the paint. This made the camper look brand new.

Next the roof edge with all those hex screws. First I cleaned and removed the all the calking around the roof edge. Tighten all screws (not to tight) using the same 3M re-calk the roof edge. I used a plastic putty spreader and an old metal butter spreader. I let the calk cure. Some time later a month or two I replaced all the screws. www.boltdepot.com thanks WarpathE for the site. I ordered 300 S/S sheet metal screws, Hex washer 8 x ¾ and for the stripped out ones I ordered 100 10x 3/4. Using the same 3M I dipped the screw then put them in. A NOTE I replaced the screws holding the roof latch and all four just snapped off. Rather then trying to drill out the hole I had to shift the latch over slightly it was easier to drill four new holes. So I will wait until the latch screws rust and try to replace them. The latches have a longer screw. The ¾ will work fine.

Baton strips inside some of the staples were coming loose so I just replaced the loose ones with a finishing washer and ¼ matching screw. I was able to remove some of the staples and drill a hole in the same spot. The ones I could not remove I drilled a hole next to the staple and the washer covered the hole.

Door stop. I removed the factory door stop because of rust. After I painted it I found a left over plastic door stop from OSH with the double sided tape I placed it on the door. It touches the taillight and I will use a bungee cord to hold the door open.
Photos coming.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 343
I just repainted my jack mounts for the second time in the one year I've owned my 03 Hawk, got after them with a dremel also, re-painted them with "Zero Rust" brand paint, pricey stuff but so far so good. Thankfully no issues with roof edges yet. Please give us an update later on how hey hold up...good idea on the sealer. Seems to be a never ending battle living on the coast.

Also about to replace my doorstop...it's getting pretty bad, will most likely order new one's from FWC and try to treat it with something too.

I did a major jack paint job with Rust Bullet primer on TT's camper.
Since it resides at the beach I would be interested in how its holding up. Having lived there my guess is its a losing battle.

I did a major jack paint job with Rust Bullet primer on TT's camper.
Since it resides at the beach I would be interested in how its holding up. Having lived there my guess is its a losing battle.

The roof where Jay painted the rust bullit on the screws is really doing well (pic 1)

The screws around the roof trim are hit and miss (pic 2). some want to rust and some don't..I hit them all with rustoleum about once every 2 months.

The brackets that hold the roof down are the real problem..(pic 3) Not much can be done there..rust never shnoozes!

The Jack brackets are tough. My camper is on and off quite a bit.Every time I put the jacks on I mess up the paint, and then here comes the rust....Used some of SunMans Zero rust on these a while ago and, other than the paint erased mounting jacks, it seems quite tough and rust proof.

It is truely a never ending (and never won) battle..trade offs, I like my liquid backyard, wouldn't trade..
TT

Attachments

• DSCN3091.jpg
    DSCN3091.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN3095.jpg
    DSCN3095.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN3092.jpg
    DSCN3092.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 310
TT great pics......Has anyone else sealed up the jacks. I sealed up the holes and edges with marine calking i figured if no water no rust. and when I put back the jacks I just remove the calking. the no rust stuff is it paint or something else?

Back
Top Bottom