Safe Jack recovery equipment sale

JHanson

Everyone,

Richard Bogert, the inventor and manufacturer of the excellent Safe Jack products and a staunch friend of the Overland Expo, is offering a 15 percent discount on all sales between now and October 4th . All you have to do is use the promo code GEARUP (all caps) at checkout. I first reviewed Safe Jack equipment years ago, and everything I've used from the company has been well-made and extremely useful. The bottle jack accessories in particular transform what was always a tool of limited use into something truly versatile. I published a review some time ago here.

If you have a heavy truck mounted with a camper, the Safe Jack kits become even more useful.

I always have a full kit with me at the show. If you're coming to the Overland Expo East in Asheville next month, ask me and I'll be happy to let you try them out.

I'll be ordering tomorrow. Thanks for all your research and experience. I'm not really an off road enthusiast, just an enthusiast of being able to get to cool, remote places without having to risk using my Spot Messenger. I also don't want to have to spend a fortune on custom bumpers so I can use my Hi-Lift jack without damaging the body work. So far I've been relying on good tires and careful driving habits but Death Valley season is coming up and I'm just a bit sick of crossing all my fingers and toes. Give a shout if you're in the Bishop area and need a good meal and/or a shower.

I was given the full suite of bottle jack accessories in a small tool bag. They're all cleverly well made, but I've yet to use any of it. It's a good thing we drive a 3/4t diesel because they're heavy!

Give a shout if you're in the Bishop area and need a good meal and/or a shower.
I'll remember that - we love Bishop. We want to come do some fly fishing in the Sierras sometime.

The Safe Jack kit is like any other insurance. You can go for a long time without needing it, but when you need it you really need it. I think it adds a lot of versatility to a recovery kit. I also find myself using it at home a lot, for working on vehicles in place of or as an adjunct to a floor jack.

ntsqd said:
I was given the full suite of bottle jack accessories in a small tool bag. They're all cleverly well made, but I've yet to use any of it. It's a good thing we drive a 3/4t diesel because they're heavy!
23 lbs for the kit with bottle jack, another 8 lbs for the baseplate combo. Not to be carried lightly.

23 lbs for the kit with bottle jack, another 8 lbs for the baseplate combo. Not to be carried lightly.
But you need to carry either a bottle jack or some sort of screw jack anyway—relying on a Hi-Lift for tire changes would be silly. So that's misleading. Think of it this way: The entire kit, with jack and the large baseplate, weighs as much as a naked Hi-Lift. To make the Hi-Lift effective on a modern truck, you'll need a recovery-capable front bumper, circa 110 pounds, the same in the rear, circa 75 pounds or so, and perhaps sliders as well. And the Hi-Lift is extremely problematic to store securely and accessibly.

I'm not suggesting the bottle jack plus Safe Jack kit is better than a Hi-Lift, but it's a viable alternative, and will do certain things the Hi-Lift can't. Carried with a Hi-Lift if you're headed into really rough country, it vastly increases the versatility of your recovery kit.

JHanson said:
But you need to carry either a bottle jack or some sort of screw jack anyway—relying on a Hi-Lift for tire changes would be silly. So that's misleading. Think of it this way: The entire kit, with jack and the large baseplate, weighs as much as a naked Hi-Lift. To make the Hi-Lift effective on a modern truck, you'll need a recovery-capable front bumper, circa 110 pounds, the same in the rear, circa 75 pounds or so, and perhaps sliders as well. And the Hi-Lift is extremely problematic to store securely and accessibly.

I'm not suggesting the bottle jack plus Safe Jack kit is better than a Hi-Lift, but it's a viable alternative, and will do certain things the Hi-Lift can't. Carried with a Hi-Lift if you're headed into really rough country, it vastly increases the versatility of your recovery kit.
It looks exceptionally well made. Too bad it's not aluminum. ;) The kit weighs considerably more than the stock bottle jack that came with the truck but does more things. It weighs less than a Hi-Lift and the only thing the Hi-Lift did that this setup won't is winch. We carried a Hi-Lift when we had a Jeep CJ and used it a few times, but I wouldn't even try to use the Hi-Lift on the pickup. All-in-all a worthwhile tool to have along.

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD diesel. I was just wondering if the bottle jack that comes with the truck would be fine to use with the Safe Jack kit (without having to buy the Safe Jack kit bottle jack). I am planning on taking my truck and camper into some remote roads and deserts and want to be prepared if the factory tire kit is inadequate.

Thanks.

I used the factory jack to lift my 2007 1500 with a ATC Panther on it once and it was just barely up to the task It stripped or something
bent inside it. I don't trust it.

I now carry a hydraulic bottle jack and just got the Safe Jack accessories to go with it and a jack stand base plate. I also carry Hi Lift when I am off road in case I need to winch or fix something bent.

I don't worry too much about the weight, I just want something that will work in the places I go.

Dsrtrat

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD diesel. I was just wondering if the bottle jack that comes with the truck would be fine to use with the Safe Jack kit (without having to buy the Safe Jack kit bottle jack). I am planning on taking my truck and camper into some remote roads and deserts and want to be prepared if the factory tire kit is inadequate.
I'm not sure if your bottle jack is hydraulic or a screw mechanism, but either way it should work. Just measure the diameter of the ram to make sure the Safe Jack accessories will fit over it. Most are pretty standard.

Ram is about 1 and 7/8"; Capacity is listed at 3000 Kgs. It's a hydraulic. I will check out the Safe Jack specs.

I checked out the Safe Jack equipment I purchased and found it to work quite well. Not a real world situation as I was in the garage, not crawling around in mud or sand.

Some observations...........

I noticed that the design of the extensions requires the jack to raise about 2 inches before it actually starts to lift the load. This does limit the lift somewhat if not made up by the screw portion of the jack before starting the lift. So when using the extensions you will lose about two inches of total lift.

I found that the 8 x10 inch jack stand base I purchased will be very useful once the truck is jacked up and it fits well in the included bag.

I will still carry my Hi Lift and wheel adapter to lift a wheel in case of a flat and use the jack stand for support under the axle.
In my case it would have been hard to get the bottle jack into position under the axle with a flat tire in real world conditions without digging a hole for it due to height limitations. To lift the frame high enough to change a tire would have required multiple lifts and blocking each lift.
The Hi Lift makes this much quicker.

One thing to note when using a Hi Lift and wheel adapter with a camper on is with my 84" wide Panther I had a problem getting the jack in a vertical position due to the camper overhang, not a problem with the narrower 78" Ocelot.

I have a base pad that I made that will work for both the Hi Lift and bottle jack or jack stand base, something needed in soft surfaces.

All in all a good addition to my off road gear.

Dsrtrat

Couple of things:

1st: I purchased a safe jack by using the promotional code. Shipping to Canada was outrageous so Patty at Safe Jack worked with me to come up with some other solutions. I want to give a quick shout out to the people at Safe Jack who were so accommodating.

2nd: I am struggling with the notion of ditching my Hi- Lift. It has come in handy more than once - this said I do not have the recovery style bumpers on my very stock 1/2 ton. Am I being naive to think that my safe jack kit with plates and stand will suffice for helping me get unstuck?

Haven't carried my Hi-Lift in years, but once the Bronc-up is fully capable & proven out I'll likely find a place to mount it for the more extreme trips (at least until the 8274 is functional). In it's place I have carried my skid-plated small floor jack and I have a second one that I plan to make a permanent part of the Bronc-up. They won't do self-recoveries, but are the best option for lifting that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom