Saludos!

bajafshrman

Advanced Member
I'm new here… we used to camp a ton many years ago but after moving to southern baja over ten years ago I guess life felt a lot like camping so we lost the urge. Now we are empty nester's and with time on our hands and the house almost done we started thinking about getting another pop up so we can start to explore again. As luck would have it, an ATC Bobcat fell into our hands.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware ATC existed but now I can say that I am really impressed with the quality and functionality of this great little camper. I set about installing the camper on my '06 Tundra and decided to contact ATC for some insight - the next surprise was even greater as Marty got right back to me and helped to guide me through eyebolt install, etc. What incredible customer service! And, I haven't purchased a single thing from them… I'm a believer.

proud.jpg

By the way, great site with lots of wonderful ideas and posts. I'm gonna modify the interior slightly and it's great to get thoughts and ideas from those with more experience.

Thanks for the welcome! Can't wait to put the camper to good use. We are a bit busy at the house right now but it looks like we'll have time in December to take a trip.

bajafshrman said:
I'm new here… we used to camp a ton many years ago but after moving to southern baja over ten years ago I guess life felt a lot like camping so we lost the urge. Now we are empty nester's and with time on our hands and the house almost done we started thinking about getting another pop up so we can start to explore again. As luck would have it, an ATC Bobcat fell into our hands.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware ATC existed but now I can say that I am really impressed with the quality and functionality of this great little camper. I set about installing the camper on my '06 Tundra and decided to contact ATC for some insight - the next surprise was even greater as Marty got right back to me and helped to guide me through eyebolt install, etc. What incredible customer service! And, I haven't purchased a single thing from them… I'm a believer.

attachicon.gif
proud.jpg

By the way, great site with lots of wonderful ideas and posts. I'm gonna modify the interior slightly and it's great to get thoughts and ideas from those with more experience.
Welcome Baja! Love where you live.
I've got an '06 AC Tundra same color as yours! Nice truck too.
We carry a Hawk, and travel a bit heavy but the truck handles it pretty well.

My main mods to the truck are Firestone airbags, and a Helwig sway bar. I'm on my second set of BF AT tires with Bilsteen shocks.
I removed the back seat of my truck and built a dog platform on the passenger side, and have lots of room for my photo obsession gear on the other side. Feel free to PM me for any additional details.

Hi Lighthawk,

I did some suspension upgrades this year adding King coil over's up front and new upper control arms - the roads here are pretty rough and the stock suspension with Bilstein 5100's was pretty tired. After I found the camper I added Firestone air bags to the rear - I had added an additional leaf to the pack a few years back. It feels pretty solid but I may add the sway bar - did you find that the sway bar helped a lot? Would love to see some photos of your back seat platform - thinking of doing something for my dog...

Super Doody - we are in San Juanico (aka Scorpion Bay). Been living here for ten years. It's been a wonderful adventure - raised our son here and now he's off to college. Now we are ready to load up the camper and get off the beaten path a little bit more.

Bajafshrman,
Welcome aboard and what a small world! ;)

You have the perfect Baja exploration rig, enjoy!

Welcome Bajafshrman!

Glad you finally got what you were looking for! Looks like you got a good one.. Couldn't agree more about the fine gents at ATC..
Hope to see your new camper in person soon! You can join in our camper geek train through the desert haha..

TT

Would love to see some photos of your back seat platform - thinking of doing something for my dog...

I've got this shot of the platform in action. Our pup is only 40 lbs. and agile, so making a quick double leap can be done from the drivers side or she will also hop onto the passenger seat to enter/exit. She rests her chin on a small towel I folded over the seat top while we drive, for a true family experience. :giggle:

The platform is 1/4" plywood screwed & glued to two lightweight 1x2 supports. It sits on a single piece of 1/2" vertical piece of plywood, right between the two OEM underseat hatches, and cantilevers a bit. The side facing the door has two 1x2 legs which I through bolted to the supports. They have a horizontal strut between the two legs, also through bolted. I tied off one leg to the truck and we push the passenger seat firmly back, which also braces the platform. I added a 1x4 around the top to hold her pad, and even have a nook for her water bowl.

Your dog may require a different size. Wife-to-be can store her smaller pack and boots beneath the platform, and I have more space on my side due to how the hatches are spaced. I can stow a medium Pelican case and backpack, plus tripods, etc. on my side of the divider. Storage space is vastly improved from the original layout. Let me know if you need more clarification or specific sizes.

----
I noticed the reflectix is shown in the photo. I added it to dampen the road noise and it does help. However, if you let something metal or plastic lean against it you will have squeaky sounds. I abhor squeaks and we compared the sound to a very angry mouse, while driving out of DV this week.

ski3pin said:
hijack here......................are congratulations in order? :)
BZZZZZZZZ! BZZZZZZZZ! BZZZZZZZZ!
Please do not adjust your screens. This is just a test. Remain Calm! :p
We've been informally engaged since last year and may do something about it in the coming year.

====================WE WILL NOW RESUME YOUR REGULAR PROGRAMMING=================

First off… congrats! Nothing like having a good partner along for the ride!

And, thanks for the photo. Don't think my beast would fit up there! I like the rack under the over-cab - great storage solution and I bet the air dam works great.

Thanks bajafshman. You are absolutely right.

The Yak shallow basket was an attempt to fill that void and make it useful. In practice, it's pretty tight to fit much up there.
However, the fairing makes a big difference in buffeting. Especially when a big truck is barreling towards you on a narrow highway (typical baja situation, in my experience).

Back
Top Bottom