San Juan Mountains of Colorado - Areas south of Telluride and Ouray

Bosque Bill

My friends,

There is a new adventure posted on Bosque Bill's Backroads travel & camping blog - western parts of the San Juan Mountains in Colorado.

Remember, click on any photo for a larger version. This is especially important this time as there are a number of large photos stitched together from multiple exposures.

This is a three part post. Parts 1 and 2 link to their subsequent post for linear reading.

Part 1: Scotch Creek and Bolam Pass
https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2021/10/san-juan-mountains-co-sept-2021-part-1.html

Part 2: Alta Lakes
https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2021/10/san-juan-mountains-co-sept-2021-part-2.html

Part 3: The Million Dollar Highway
https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2021/10/san-juan-mountains-co-sept-2021-part-3.html

Thanks.

Thanks for the links- I've been to some of those places and it brings back a lot of memories-
now you've forced me to continue down the rabbit hole all the way back to 2013! :LOL:

Thanks to SkyP, Vic, Frank, Elken, oregon, searching, and sagebrush for taking the time to read my blog and comment here. I do appreciate hearing from WTW folks.

I was very lucky this year to catch such vibrant colors, too!

Strongback chair mention in post #2. between photo of truck with solar panenl in front & photo of mountain with rich warm sun.

+1 on Strongback. We have two and love them. Good back support, stable, & easy to get up out of them

Paul

Bill, thank you for sharing your wonderful fall color trip. We do not have a fall color trip planned for this year due to the fires and knee rehab and such. Your trip and glorious photos put smiles on our faces. Julie also strongly stated where she wants to go next autumn.

Your photos caught what fall mountain aspen dreams are made of. :)

On a bit of an aside, I was pleased to hear of your pleasant stay and experience at Alta Lakes and the positive changes that have taken place there. We were there in 2013 and were appalled with the conditions and would not consider camping there. Good news.

Thanks, Ski, I wasn't really planning a specific fall color trip this year, yet stumbled into great a great aspen experience which made it even better.

I know what you mean. Some beautiful camping areas have been used and abused by the hordes. It doesn't help that the USFS has been under such draconian budgetary restrictions the last several years. I'm guessing Alta Lakes was refurbished long enough ago that it has had time to regenerate. Hopefully, the public will respect that and treat the area as it deserves.

Bill, thanksfor your posts and beautiful pictures. I got a chance to go through all three posts this morning and enjoyed them immensely. We just returned from a Colorado trip, we didn't capture the colors quite a peak the way you did, but what a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post.

Great report Bill. It looks like we were about a week behind you having just returned. We were looking to run some of the trails in the area and had not considered the foliage change. Coming from New England we thought we had spectacular leaf peeping but the neon yellow of the aspens contrasting with the dark green of the evergreens made for a spectacular show.

Hopefully it’s OK to share a few pictures here…

Attachments

• 330B113D-001E-4E8A-A4EF-7A9669932F30.jpeg
    330B113D-001E-4E8A-A4EF-7A9669932F30.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 50
  • A8CE937E-19FC-4617-B3DA-36C46106E30D.jpeg
    A8CE937E-19FC-4617-B3DA-36C46106E30D.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 45
Enjoyed reading this trip report and the excellent pictures then went down the rabbit hole into a bunch more reports from your travels over the years. We really need to get down to NM in the near future... like next year.
Cheers
Dave

Eddy, beautiful photos (even if I did have to crick my neck for the second one LOL) Thanks.

Dave, glad you enjoyed the blog post(s). I like your double-rainbow.

Once again I was absolutely mesmerized by your photos and lost myself in reading your report. Since I have not been able to get out I really needed that! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom