Santa Barbara to San Simeon in October

dorocks

Took an October mini vacation. Took the FWC and traveled up the coast to Hearst Castle. Stopped at any little thing that looked interesting on the way. Found that the coastline up there is very restricted. No free parking anywhere I could see.

Stayed at Jalama Beach Campground near Lompoc first night. Stayed at San Simeon Campground the second. Stayed at Flying Flags RV Resort & Campground near Solvang the third. Third one was next to highway. Noisy. In general it was a wet trip. Heavy coastal fog in the morning and at night made the FWC a wee bit sticky. Was not very cold. I ran the heater occasionally to tone down the dampness.

Hearst was fun. Took two of the four tours. La Purisima was interesting. Saw it mentioned on California Gold once. The coastline was cool and different up there compared to San Diego. I stopped at Surf near Lompoc and Vandenburg Air Force Base. Surf was not a town but a Amtrak stop right on the coast. It was where the fellow was killed by the shark a few weeks after I got home.

Hearst Castle

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation-Photos/Hearst-Castle-2010-October/14246710_BqcHf#1078487210_pPFeR

La Purisima Mission State Park

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation-Photos/Santa-Barbara-to-San-Simeon-La/14721246_MrfQz#1057488159_LivME

Santa Barbara to San Simeon

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation-Photos/Santa-Barbara-to-San-Simeon/14264749_znjo8#1054708269_49ncC

Keith and Jeanne Barnes
La Mesa CA

Attachments

• beach camp sm.jpg
    beach camp sm.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 212
  • jalama beach sm.jpg
    jalama beach sm.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 194
  • hearst.jpg
    hearst.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 161
Beautiful pictures. I've lived in Calif all my life and never been to San Simeon. Got to do it someday.

Was Cold Springs Tavern open when you were there? It looks awfully quiet. The place is usually jumping on a weekend. If you're ever in the area on a Sunday stop by for the best tri-tip sandwich in the area. We had my daughter's wedding reception there in August and they put on a good party.

The arch portion of the Cold Springs Arch Bridge is hollow and you use to be able to crawl all the way through it. I think they have gates on the ends now.

Beautiful pictures. I've lived in Calif all my life and never been to San Simeon. Got to do it someday.

Was Cold Springs Tavern open when you were there? It looks awfully quiet. The place is usually jumping on a weekend. If you're ever in the area on a Sunday stop by for the best tri-tip sandwich in the area. We had my daughter's wedding reception there in August and they put on a good party.

The arch portion of the Cold Springs Arch Bridge is hollow and you use to be able to crawl all the way through it. I think they have gates on the ends now.

The place was open but we had eaten already. We had just driven down the forest service road nearby and found some campgrounds to the east. I was intrigued by the bridge and then saw some historical interest sign, so I stopped. I would have never known it was there otherwise. Going down the hill into Santa Barbara was a drag. Foggiest road I had been on in awhile.

The place was open but we had eaten already. We had just driven down the forest service road nearby and found some campgrounds to the east. I was intrigued by the bridge and then saw some historical interest sign, so I stopped. I would have never known it was there otherwise. Going down the hill into Santa Barbara was a drag. Foggiest road I had been on in awhile.

Too bad about the fog. On a clear day the view is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom